Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2016 has always sputtered at a little when starting out in 4WD Lock and yesterday it was expecially bad. It sounded like it was running on only one cylinder. :) Seriously, it was really struggling to make any power. Fortuantely it made forward progress but increasing throttle did not increase RPMs. Since it only happens in 4WD Lock it seems like a programming error. I only put it in 4WD Lock when it is at risk of getting stuck so it is unnerving when it looses power when I really need power.

I'm wondering what could cause this and what I should test. Today I will make sure that it only happens in 4WD Lock and not regualr 4WD. It has an EHS Racing EFI Controller and I ride the Grizzly at 6000' to 9000'.

Edit: I just tested it again to confirm that the problem is only in 4WD Lock and not 4WD but the Grizzly was fine. The snow was grippier today and that probably caused the difference. Yestery it felt like maybe I was giving it too much gas too soon and it was choking on it.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
300 Posts
It is your rev limiter. This is normal until it gets locked in. Try being at a complete stop in neutral when going into difflock. Wait 2 seconds move in rev 4-5 feet then forward slowly and see if that makes everything get locked in better. The rev limiter stays on until every thing is locked in. This is normal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is your rev limiter. This is normal until it gets locked in. Try being at a complete stop in neutral when going into difflock. Wait 2 seconds move in rev 4-5 feet then forward slowly and see if that makes everything get locked in better. The rev limiter stays on until every thing is locked in. This is normal.
Thanks for that excellent information! I wasn't putting it in Neutral and waiting 2 seconds.

Just to confirm, I think you mean:
1. Stop, put it in Neutral and wait two seconds.
2. Put it in 4WD Lock and then go forward slowly for 4-5 feet.
3. Then it will be fully in 4WD lock and the rev limiter will have turned off.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
Many guys have reported to just turn the handlebar back and forth a couple time works to sync up the gears. The engine must be at idle.
I haven't had the problem. Don't know why.
Kinda hard to move 4-5 feet if you're buried in mud.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Idle good enough? It would be nice to not have to put it in Neutral. The shifter is a little awkward to use.

When I bought my Grizzly the dealer said to turn the handlebar back and forth but that can be hard to do in some situations.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
No need to put it in neutral. You just need to be stopped and engine at idle rpm (no throttle).
I am with reogem on this. I have never had a problem engaging or disengaging the locker.

FYI:
You still have a limiter when in diff lock. You can only go so fast and the engine will only rev so fast before a limiter kicks in. For this, you have an override button on the left handlebar. Press and hold the override button and this will override the limiters while in diff lock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....You still have a limiter when in diff lock. You can only go so fast and the engine will only rev so fast before a limiter kicks in. For this, you have an override button on the left handlebar. Press and hold the override button and this will override the limiters while in diff lock.
I had forgotten about the override button. (I only rode the Grizzly twice last year.) What is the reason for the rev limiter and the override button? Assuming the rev limiter is to protect something, why is there an override?

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I had forgotten about the override button. (I only rode the Grizzly twice last year.) What is the reason for the rev limiter and the override button? Assuming the rev limiter is to protect something, why is there an override?
The override button is a safety for the operator. It makes sure both hands are on the handlebars when operating at high speed or high throttle settings.
This is because handling is very negatively effected when operating in diff lock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The override button is a safety for the operator. It makes sure both hands are on the handlebars when operating at high speed or high throttle settings.
This is because handling is very negatively effected when operating in diff lock.
That makes so much sense I should have figured it out myself.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts