Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Newbie here. I have a 2017 grizz at home and it’s time for an air filter change/cleaning. I am very old school and grew up riding 3 wheelers and this is my first quad.
I’ve never cleaned an air filter much less oiled one. I used to just change them out in Trikes.
My question is, if I invested in a K&N would I have to buy an HMF programmer to allow more fuel in? Or would I be ok just cleaning the stock filter? I’ve heard I can use mineral spirits to clean the oil then dish soap to clean the filter. Seems cheaper. Anyway thanks in advance for any info and God bless.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The stock filter will filter and protect your engine the best, especially in the common dusty conditions these quads are ridden in.

Submerse it into a bucket or tub of soapy water - dish soap. Squeeze and work it until it is clean of oil. Then repeat the process in a tub of clean water to rinse it.

Wear latex disposable gloves for the next step: dump oil filter oil (Yamaha brand recommended) into a gallon zipper bag and put the filter in there, seal it, and work it around until the entire filter has absorbed the oil. Wring it out lightly not to tear it, and re-install in machine. I will save the bag of clean oil to use next time.​

·
Registered
100 Posts
The stock filter will filter and protect your engine the best, especially in the common dusty conditions these quads are ridden in.

Submerse it into a bucket or tub of soapy water - dish soap. Squeeze and work it until it is clean of oil. Then repeat the process in a tub of clean water to rinse it.

Wear latex disposable gloves for the next step: dump oil filter oil (Yamaha brand recommended) into a gallon zipper bag and put the filter in there, seal it, and work it around until the entire filter has absorbed the oil. Wring it out lightly not to tear it, and re-install in machine. I will save the bag of clean oil to use next time.​
You squeeze it, never wring it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would avoid the K&N filter for offroad use.

UNI or foam filters FTW!

Like mentioned before, just some gentle squeezing is needed, dont wring it as you can tear the filter media.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts