Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody..... New member, here... first post.

Also a first time ATV purchaser.....

I've narrowed my choices down to either a 2017 Grizzly 700 EPS or a 2017 Kodiak 700 EPS SE.

I've been told by my dealer that the main differences are fuel mapping and clutching/engagement.

For those of you who have experience with both of these bikes, can you elaborate a bit on how different the bikes "feel" from one another? Is it truly "night and day" to where I might regret buying the Kodiak, or is it hardly noticeable?

Anybody here buy a Kodiak and regret not buying a Grizzly?

If this is a repeat post, I'm sorry..... I've seen similar posts, but none that dealt specifically w/ my question above....

Thanks for any help!!!!

PS - I should add that this will be for 100% trail use.... No farm work. No mudding. No snowplowing, etc.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,663 Posts
Welcome to GC!

User @reogem bought two Kodiaks and he has said he is very pleased with them. He is a trail rider and might chime in here with direct Kodiak rider info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That and I believe the right hand fender and rear storage.

The clutching is the big one in that its a bit "sportier" so if you are trail riding and like to goose it around corners and go a bit faster, ride wheelies etc it may be the better choice.
I have a Grizzly and a friend has both the Grizzly and Kodiak. He does say the Grizz is 'Faster"

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
My understanding is that the Kodi is more workhorse and the Griz is more "fun". The Griz has the wider stance than the Kodi. The Kodi's clutching is different but by swapping some relatively inexpensive parts, you can have Griz clutching in a Kodi. That being said, we have members that went with a Kodi after having a Griz and are perfectly happy. Reogem is one of them I believe. You might seek him out.

You can listen to us all day long. The best thing for you to do is ride them and decide for yourself. If you're happy with the stance of the Kodi but want Griz clutching, we can help. Chances are that you'll be in the clutches eventually either way when you put real tires on that beast.

Reactions: Jaybird_88

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 16 Kodiak SE.... I do a lot of tight Woods riding and thought that narrower would be better. My first impression was that it was very slow. Put on 26 inch tires, 18 gram weights from the grizzly, 1 mm shim and EPI purple spring. Went from a lawn tractor to a Ferrari.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I really like the Kodiaks.. First I have 4500 miles on mine and The Queen has around 3500 hers.

After the owning the 13 Griz 700 I wanted to stay with the narrower machine because of the trails I ride. I never found my Griz to be "tippy" as others claim so I didn't need the extra width. I find the Kodi to be just as nimble on the trails. I can drift the corners. Now with the Pitbull tires it takes more gas to drift. The Kodi's measure 50" with DH1 rims and Pitbull tires.

Not a deep mudder so I don't miss the dif lock. You can install oleblue22's dif lock kit if you really miss it. With oleblue22's kit there is no rev limiters. That is an advantage. And for less $$$.

I like the low maintenance of the wet rear brake. Have put two sets of brakes on the front of my Kodi and one set on my Queens Kodi. On the 13 700 I would have had to do 2 sets on the rear also.

The Kodi doesn't have the hole shot that my Griz had but I haven't clutched it yet. I may just install my franken clutch off the 700 on the Kodi for a test. I am installing 20g roller weights this week cause I find that in some situations I need to use low gear. Didn't need to use low on the Griz. Also with the 30g weights the engine braking suffers a little, important when mountain riding.
After about 20-25mph I feel the Kodi is very similar to the Griz with similar top end.

I think you dealer is mistaken about the fuel mapping. I believe the biggest performance difference is the roller weights. Maybe the secondary spring needs to be jacked up some. I haven't heard what the force of the spring is.

I have no regrets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I really like the Kodiaks.. First I have 4500 miles on mine and The Queen has around 3500 hers.

After the owning the 13 Griz 700 I wanted to stay with the narrower machine because of the trails I ride. I never found my Griz to be "tippy" as others claim so I didn't need the extra width. I find the Kodi to be just as nimble on the trails. I can drift the corners. Now with the Pitbull tires it takes more gas to drift. The Kodi's measure 50" with DH1 rims and Pitbull tires.

Not a deep mudder so I don't miss the dif lock. You can install oleblue22's dif lock kit if you really miss it. With oleblue22's kit there is no rev limiters. That is an advantage. And for less $$$.

I like the low maintenance of the wet rear brake. Have put two sets of brakes on the front of my Kodi and one set on my Queens Kodi. On the 13 700 I would have had to do 2 sets on the rear also.

The Kodi doesn't have the hole shot that my Griz had but I haven't clutched it yet. I may just install my franken clutch off the 700 on the Kodi for a test. I am installing 20g roller weights this week cause I find that in some situations I need to use low gear. Didn't need to use low on the Griz. Also with the 30g weights the engine braking suffers a little, important when mountain riding.
After about 20-25mph I feel the Kodi is very similar to the Griz with similar top end.

I think you dealer is mistaken about the fuel mapping. I believe the biggest performance difference is the roller weights. Maybe the secondary spring needs to be jacked up some. I haven't heard what the force of the spring is.

I have no regrets.
Let me know how those 20 gram weights work, I'm thinking of doing the same on my Kodiak, don't know if I want to go full grizzly with 18 grams.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello everybody..... New member, here... first post.

Also a first time ATV purchaser.....

I've narrowed my choices down to either a 2017 Grizzly 700 EPS or a 2017 Kodiak 700 EPS SE.

I've been told by my dealer that the main differences are fuel mapping and clutching/engagement.

For those of you who have experience with both of these bikes, can you elaborate a bit on how different the bikes "feel" from one another? Is it truly "night and day" to where I might regret buying the Kodiak, or is it hardly noticeable?

Anybody here buy a Kodiak and regret not buying a Grizzly?

If this is a repeat post, I'm sorry..... I've seen similar posts, but none that dealt specifically w/ my question above....

Thanks for any help!!!!

PS - I should add that this will be for 100% trail use.... No farm work. No mudding. No snowplowing, etc.
I can't speak for how the grizzly rides, but have a Kodiak and the power felt fine to me until I put on bigger tires, but I will change the clutch weights soon to help with that. From just sitting on the grizzly at the dealer I knew it was a little too wide for the trails I ride, Kodiak has better maneuverability. Kodiak also has a rear wet brake where grizzly has 4 wheel disc. All that being said I'm sure the grizzly rides a lot smoother with it's longer a arms, and I know the rear disc will stop better. But the trade off is maintaining the brakes. Another thing I noticed is the grizzly has more storage. All in all they both have pros and cons, depends on what the rider needs from their bike. I'd say if you plan on riding tight trails, and value a rear wet brake and don't mind modifying the clutches if needed then go for the Kodiak and save some money, but if you want something that's going to ride better and have a snappier response from the show room floor but at additional cost go for the grizzly. Also if you need a locking differential you'll have to get a Kodiak eps or SE

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks the input everybody.... After reading these posts, and other research, it looks like the Grizzly is the machine for me.....

Hope to see you on the trails soon!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Thanks the input everybody.... After reading these posts, and other research, it looks like the Grizzly is the machine for me.....

Don't run off! We'll need some pics of that new machine of yours when you bring her home!
:rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

Welcome to GC, enjoy, from Maine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts