Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
496 Posts
They wont check the spring poundage if you sent it back??
No, i didnt want to screw around with all that hassel and they didnt offer to exchange it for a gold spring so I ordered a machined sheave. Looking forward to getting that.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
No, i didnt want to screw around with all that hassel and they didnt offer to exchange it for a gold spring so I ordered a machined sheave. Looking forward to getting that.
From Arnie Cooper?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Reactions: KodiakAfishyo

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
496 Posts
I received my new Coop45 primary today and installed it. I now have 2.9:1 ratio with .5mm shim. I started out with 1.0mm shim and had 3.1:1 ratio, the power with the 3.1:1 was awesome but I had too much belt rub on the case so changed the shim out to .5mm, Arnie told me too use .5mm so I wouldn’t have any belt rub on the case and he was right but I had to try it and see how much. The 2.9:1 ratio is really cool and makes the big bore come alive. This is how the Kodiak and Grizzly should be. I’m still using the stock weights and think I will keep them for now. In low gear the power is incredible and I still maxed out at 30mph. Will have to see what top speed is maybe later this week. Hats off to Arnie and his Coop45 mod#3 machined sheave. Only regrets so far is getting the purple spring instead of the gold.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I received my new Coop45 primary today and installed it. I now have 2.9:1 ratio with .5mm shim. I started out with 1.0mm shim and had 3.1:1 ratio, the power with the 3.1:1 was awesome but I had too much belt rub on the case so changed the shim out to .5mm, Arnie told me too use .5mm so I wouldn’t have any belt rub on the case and he was right but I had to try it and see how much. The 2.9:1 ratio is really cool and makes the big bore come alive. This is how the Kodiak and Grizzly should be. I’m still using the stock weights and think I will keep them for now. In low gear the power is incredible and I still maxed out at 30mph. Will have to see what top speed is maybe later this week. Hats off to Arnie and his Coop45 mod#3 machined sheave. Only regrets so far is getting the purple spring instead of the gold.
Congrats on the new sheave! Yes they are awesome! Arnie really has help the community alot with his machining services.

On another note, I bet lighter weights would help you purple spring perform better.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
496 Posts
Here are some pictures of the Coop45 and stock.
EE23921E-D4FB-430B-A293-C0E05B7300C1.jpeg
4CAA185A-D787-4949-A5A8-4D46D646620F.jpeg
DBCDC43A-B319-4889-AF07-1661F0F8F710.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
496 Posts
Also as I was looking at my stock secondary spring today I noticed a orange paint stripe on it that I had not noticed before. So Yamaha must use the paint color codes also and this verifies what others had told me about the stock 700 spring being orange not blue as EPI told me.
D88836AF-48D7-49E6-81FA-B3C352E6F443.jpeg

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Also as I was looking at my stock secondary spring today I noticed a orange paint stripe on it that I had not noticed before. So Yamaha must use the paint color codes also and this verifies what others had told me about the stock 700 spring being orange not blue as EPI told me. View attachment 98018
Correct, Siv/Org is stock Grizzly & Kodiak 700 springs. I pretty much copied Coop's sheave when I machined my sheave but took a extra 1/4mm off my sheave. Let your belt wear into the new sheave angle for a few hundred miles and recheck your ratio as it will get better when the belt wears in. As for the belt hitting the cover with more shim most of us just let it wear in slowly as its only hitting when at a stop or going slow. When I added a 1/2mm shim to get to 3.25 to 1 ratio I let it wear in some then took a die grinder and cleared the rest out of the way. If you want to bring your Kodiak to life put some 20g weights in it. 18g weights tend to run a little more RPM than needed but its faster but at the same time you wont get as good as gas mileage as the 20g weights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
496 Posts
Correct, Siv/Org is stock Grizzly & Kodiak 700 springs. I pretty much copied Coop's sheave when I machined my sheave but took a extra 1/4mm off my sheave. Let your belt wear into the new sheave angle for a few hundred miles and recheck your ratio as it will get better when the belt wears in. As for the belt hitting the cover with more shim most of us just let it wear in slowly as its only hitting when at a stop or going slow. When I added a 1/2mm shim to get to 3.25 to 1 ratio I let it wear in some then took a die grinder and cleared the rest out of the way. If you want to bring your Kodiak to life put some 20g weights in it. 18g weights tend to run a little more RPM than needed but its faster but at the same time you wont get as good as gas mileage as the 20g weights.
You did a good job machining that sheave. I will eventually put lighter weights in it and probably go with 20g like you suggested. But for now I want to get use to the way it is. Thanks for the suggestion, you and Vincent make good points regarding this.

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Also as I was looking at my stock secondary spring today I noticed a orange paint stripe on it that I had not noticed before. So Yamaha must use the paint color codes also and this verifies what others had told me about the stock 700 spring being orange not blue as EPI told me. View attachment 98018
:)
Glad you saw the paint finally.....
I use E.P.I. for springs and weights only, not information.
Now you know why and I didn't have to say it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
>>>>> RESET <<<<<

Wet Slugs Are Gone!!!

And I am half way back together. I knew taking the wet slugs out was going to be fun as when I machined them I machined them with a 1/8" lip that was a press fit into the wet clutch hole. So I center punched the slugs, Drilled & Tapped them. Then had to use a screw style puller to get the wet slugs out. I'm glad that part of this job is over with!! Once I get it a little more complete I will be changing back to the stock secondary spring but will be keeping the machined sheave in it.

Attachments

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Why going back to stock spring?

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
496 Posts
What are you try to accomplish with all this?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Why going back to stock spring?
If you remember at the beginning of this thread. When I put the wet slugs in I had to add the purple spring to get the performance back to stock. I never tried the machined sheave without the wet slugs and the stock secondary spring. I would like to say just toss in the 20g weights & the purple spring but at this point I am starting from scratch and need to know which way to go.

What are you try to accomplish with all this?
Faster ET's and More MPG. Thats the goal. If I can get a few more MPH that would be a bonus.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
All can be had....
First you have to find the highest ratio your c.v.t cover will hold, which I think you have done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
All can be had....
First you have to find the highest ratio your c.v.t cover will hold, which I think you have done.
Yes it's a far as I can get it. 3.25 to 1 is all I am going to get out of this sheave as the seal hump is rubbing on the inside of the belt.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Yes it's a far as I can get it. 3.25 to 1 is all I am going to get out of this sheave as the seal hump is rubbing on the inside of the belt.
How thin has the cover and gasket gotten at the rub point?
I never measured my cover, but its paper thin and works fine....and the gasket is about half gone.
I figure the cover will rub through before the belt bottoms out on the collar, and the 660 has no seal hump to deal with.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts