Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
How thin has the cover and gasket gotten at the rub point?
I never measured my cover, but its paper thin and works fine....and the gasket is about half gone.
I figure the cover will rub through before the belt bottoms out on the collar, and the 660 has no seal hump to deal with.
I am not to the gasket yet (Have about a 1/32") but at 3.25 to 1 the belt is rubbing the seal hump. If you look at the 12 O'clock and 9 O'clock (Primary sheave) you can see where I am getting the 3.25 to 1 ratio turning it counter clockwise.

Attachments

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
All back together minus the primary sheave grease cover as I went greaseless for now and put in Dr pulley greaseless sliders that I had previously bought, I have the stock 18g weights & stock secondary spring in it. When I cleaned the grease out of the primary sheave I noticed the roller channel had basically no grease in it and I figure I will be making changes soon enough so I went greaseless. My Initial thought riding around the yard was it seemed slower at the hit of the throttle from a standing start until I drove back there and realized it just turned gobs more dirt spinning the tires than it did before with the wet slugs & EPI gold spring in it.

Before at the same spot it would start to hike the front end (Wet slugs & epi gold) and I would get to 31-32 Mph before having to hit the brakes. Right now I am hitting 34-35 Mph before having to hit the brakes. I also noticed I carry a way longer wheelie out of the shallow side of the ditch than before. I need to get some concrete data (Rpm's & ET's) before making any changes but from the feel of it I need to switch to heavier weights.

One other thing i noticed without the wet slugs. I can now shift in and out of gears pretty easily. Before it was kinda hard to switch gears as the wet clutch was always dragging.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
With my 660, the limiting factor for high ratio is the belt rubbing through the cover, there is no seal hump.
Arnie several years ago removed the seal hump, then started leaving it on for reasons I can't remember.
You can see how much material is removed on mine,
https://flic.kr/p/jH47f5 and see how the belt runs in relationship to the cover in this video;

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
All back together minus the primary sheave grease cover as I went greaseless for now and put in Dr pulley greaseless sliders that I had previously bought, I have the stock 18g weights & stock secondary spring in it. When I cleaned the grease out of the primary sheave I noticed the roller channel had basically no grease in it and I figure I will be making changes soon enough so I went greaseless. My Initial thought riding around the yard was it seemed slower at the hit of the throttle from a standing start until I drove back there and realized it just turned gobs more dirt spinning the tires than it did before with the wet slugs & EPI gold spring in it.

Before at the same spot it would start to hike the front end (Wet slugs & epi gold) and I would get to 31-32 Mph before having to hit the brakes. Right now I am hitting 34-35 Mph before having to hit the brakes. I also noticed I carry a way longer wheelie out of the shallow side of the ditch than before. I need to get some concrete data (Rpm's & ET's) before making any changes but from the feel of it I need to switch to heavier weights.

One other thing i noticed without the wet slugs. I can now shift in and out of gears pretty easily. Before it was kinda hard to switch gears as the wet clutch was always dragging.
The grease less weights have been found not to slide as easy, you can run your stock weights without grease to see if you feel a difference.
Have you tried the forward bite test on concrete? I have to get my set-up to where the front end comes up a couple inches but does not try to roll the grizz onto it's back. I am down on power here due to elevation, but wanted the grizz going forward, not up and down and did this with heavier weights for more top speed and a cut cam plate.
I use 21 gram weight totals.......

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Alot of Interesting observations on the subject of your wet slugs!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
With my 660, the limiting factor for high ratio is the belt rubbing through the cover, there is no seal hump.
Arnie several years ago removed the seal hump, then started leaving it on for reasons I can't remember.
You can see how much material is removed on mine,
https://flic.kr/p/jH47f5 and see how the belt runs in relationship to the cover in this video;
I had sent a E-mail to Arnie a few weeks ago and he recommended if you want a lower ratio than what I have to get a 660 sheave. Here is a few pics of the 700 sheave. As you can see the limiting factor is the steel bushing on the seal hump side is about 1/3 the width as the cam plate side. If you machine the seal hump off your steel bushing on that side will become about 1/4" wide. Then if you machine a 3mm taper on to it along with removing the seal hump you pretty much won't have a bushing for the collar to ride on.

Another interesting fact of the 700 movable sheave is it is smaller in diameter than the stationary sheave.

For my clutch cover to get as wore as yours I would probable need the belt to stick up another 1/8"

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
The grease less weights have been found not to slide as easy, you can run your stock weights without grease to see if you feel a difference.
Have you tried the forward bite test on concrete? I have to get my set-up to where the front end comes up a couple inches but does not try to roll the grizz onto it's back. I am down on power here due to elevation, but wanted the grizz going forward, not up and down and did this with heavier weights for more top speed and a cut cam plate.
I use 21 gram weight totals.......
I have not did the concrete launch test yet. Thanks for the tip on the heavier weights as it confirms what I was thinking a few post ago. But I wont change a thing until I get some data.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
I was looking for 20 m.p.h. in 20 ft.
You can't see the 20 ft. mark out in the gravel, and I did this video to see what the front tires were doing.

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
OK, Here is some data.... I am not sure why the MPH got weird at 1000ft & 1/4 mile and didn't notice it until I already put the Grizzly in the garage. This is with stock 18g weights, stock Secondary spring, with the machined sheave and 1/2mm shim = 3.25 to 1 ratio & No Wet slugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
And from the previous post with the EPI gold spring, Wet slugs.

As you can see in the data its faster to 60MPH and its running less Rpm's. But the 0 to 60ft really has not improved. Next is 20g weights

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
Ridgway81432, FYI, With the stock 18g weights & stock secondary spring it did not even try to wheelie on the concrete. So I slapped the 20g weights in and rode it around a little. I could tell right away the rpms were way down just by the way the engine sounded. This would be great if I rode hard packed all the time but the majority of the time i ride loose sand which needs a little more Rpm's to keep it going while cruising. I didn't even have all the plastic back on it so I took it back into the garage and proceeded to swap to the EPI Purple spring. This time I did get data and the Rpm's are still down from the stock secondary spring and 18g weights but seems to have more power at slower speeds. I still want to get ET's & MPH data but at the present time our rode is real busy for some reason.

RPM"s with 20g weights & EPI Purple spring....
MPH RPM
10 -- 3030/3040
20 -- 3710/3720
30 -- 4330/4340
40 -- 4700/4710
50 -- 5640/5650

With this set up the front end feels like its pulling up about 4-5" on concrete launch pad (Driveway). Also the RPM's are down with this set up at WOT to 40 MPH anyways as that is where I ran out of room. I will try it on the rode. At WOT with this set up I was once right at 6000 RPM's and once at 6200 RPM's. With the stock weights & secondary spring I was at 6600 Rpm's in the same spot.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Well the traffic died down so I got some more data for you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
So what’s your conclusion to all this doctor?

I'm about do dig into my 686s clutches so all this is very relevant. ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
So what’s your conclusion to all this doctor?

I'm about do dig into my 686s clutches so all this is very relevant. ;)
I'm not the Doctor. Thats Ridgway. But I do have a plan but have to get some more parts. I am going to ride it this week as is though. Seriously if you look at the two data sheets from today you will see where one is quicker to 500ft and the other is faster from 500ft out to a 1000ft. After that with a shim I need a cam plate cut. So at this point you need to read between the lines.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I got a chance to ride it in some really tight trails and I really like not having the wet slugs in it as its not so aggressive when you have tree's 1" or less from each fender. We ride those tight trails about 1/3 of the time, the other 2/3 are mixed between wider ATV trails, 2 tracks, and snowmobile trails which have more room.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts