Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 2017 or 2018 Grizzly. I have heard from many people now that the new Grizzly (2016 and newer) are not as good as the older 2015 and older. Are there anyone out there that could comment on this with some experience? I'm hearing major reliability issues like poor cold start, terrible air filters, poor turning radius very hot engine ( hot and uncomfortable to the riders legs). can anyone comment to this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2017 with none of the issues you are worried about. Cold start, never a problem, air filter, I did the unifilter mod by EHS, hot engine not an issue all newer atvs are hot. Take a test ride, the machine is awesome.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2017 with none of the issues you are worried about. Cold start, never a problem, air filter, I did the unifilter mod by EHS, hot engine not an issue all newer atvs are hot. Take a test ride, the machine is awesome.
They say it is 2" wider they the previous model. Will it fit in the box of a 3/4 ton chevy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fits in the bed of my tundra no prob.

Reactions: Kmmdad50

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fits in a chevy 1/2 ton!! They all are a tad hot but the Grizz no more than others. As for 2015s and older being a better machine...............maybe so, I really couldn't say. All I can say is my 2016 has 4000+ kms and no trouble!(Touching wood)
Seems to turn fine for me.
Air box WAS designed by a 5 year old .............. but its not the end of the world!
Just do your maintenance and all is roses.
RIDE ON!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Fits in a chevy 1/2 ton!! They all are a tad hot but the Grizz no more than others. As for 2015s and older being a better machine...............maybe so, I really couldn't say. All I can say is my 2016 has 4000+ kms and no trouble!(Touching wood)
Air box WAS designed by a 5 year old .............. but its not the end of the world!
RIDE ON!!
I have to ask. Everyone is talking about the airbox, is it worse than the previous models? I really don't know how it could be...

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah, it has a poor design that while easy to remove and clean, it is also easy to mis-align allowing air leakage and there is a flimsy donut foam seal that can come unglued and some say it is open cell foam that allows air to pass if not greased or oiled. putting oil or grease can cause the glue to fail. The bottom line is be careful with servicing the air filter or do the air filter mod from ehs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 2017 and i find the turning Radius to a bit wider than my father in ln laws 2004 Kodiak. But i have been told i am picky.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
I have 2017 and i find the turning Radius to a bit wider than my father in ln laws 2004 Kodiak. But i have been told i am picky.
I can't understand how that can be a apple to apple comparison??? More like an apple to a chicken egg.
That Kodi is 42.7" wide with a WB of 48"
The Griz is 48.5" wide with a WB of 49"

The radius will also be effected by the longer WB and the fact that the Griz weighs 150lb more and has much bigger tires.

Reactions: RDC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Touching wood!

RIDE ON!!
We call it ( knocking on wood ) in the lower 48, (touching or wood) is called something else. Sorry that was inappropriate.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
We call it ( knocking on wood ) in the lower 48 (touching or wood) is called something else. Sorry that was inappropriate.

Bahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RDC

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 grizzly I hammered the crap out it today in Southern Ohio Wayne national ran like a champ even if I didnt after 70 miles its just me getting old machine was great!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't understand how that can be a apple to apple comparison??? More like an apple to a chicken egg.
That Kodi is 42.7" wide with a WB of 48"
The Griz is 48.5" wide with a WB of 49"

The radius will also be effected by the longer WB and the fact that the Griz weighs 150lb more and has much bigger tires.
I understand that. But that's the way i feel about it. I kinda like the tight turning radius.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
I understand that. But that's the way i feel about it. I kinda like the tight turning radius.
I have a Chevy Silverado I find that it has a longer wheelbase than my Queens Toyota.
I've been told I'm picky:shocked:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Chevy Silverado I find that it has a longer wheelbase than my Queens Toyota.
I've been told I'm picky:shocked:
Yikes enough said. I stick by my original statement. :wink2:

Reactions: reogem
1 - 16 of 16 Posts