Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2017 SPUTTERS !!!

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Reboot123 
#1 ·
Hello to all you Grizzly owners .
I'm curious to know if anyone else with the 2017 Grizzly getting the sputters on deceleration .It seems to happen after its warmed up .I did a a lot of reading on this matter .Some say its normal others say I should get a tuner because its running lean. As for the tuner I'm sure it would help but a brand new bike should not need a tuner.I just want to see if others with the 2017 have the sputters or not.
I hate going riding with others and they say "YOUR bike doesn't sound right " just makes my skin curl ..
I must say that I LOVE this bike no lack power and one heck of a smooth ride !

#2 ·
It's normal. Ride on.

Reactions: reogem
#3 ·
You can block the AIS to take care of a lot of that popping.

#6 ·
Well I'm not the only one .When I first got the bike it would backfire a lot and loud the bike also stalled often ..Now I have about 600Km on the bike no more loud backfiring very little stall out but I got that sputter (little backfires) I'm HOPING it goes away on its own like the loud backfires and stalls did witch was probably part of the break in period...I did notice when the sputter starts the bike is very hot (engine).I hope someone figures out how to eliminate the sputter.

#7 ·
I just got back from a long camping trip from the Flattops here in Colorado, many miles of hard trails. The 2017 now has 300 miles on it and notice less backfiring at moderate speeds now, when the engine is warm and rapid slowing you will get that popping. Does not bother me too much.

#10 ·
Going to top 6000 miles this coming week on my Kodi a bought last April. It has some of this "dreaded sputter".

But I have to ask why are you worrying about it if you don't really ride?:poke:

#11 ·
Blocking the AIS on mine helped a bunch. I still have minor popping on decel but nothing like before when people on the trail were asking about it. I couldn't find a cap the right size but came across the protective thread caps at Lowes. It did the trick.

#14 ·
I'm sure it would help but a brand new bike should not need a tuner.
The vast majority of cars, trucks, bikes, ATVs and other vehicles could/would most certainly benefit from a tuner. You don't tune because your vehicle gets old - you tune to improve various factors of it's performance and/or efficiency.

#16 ·
Putting on a pipe (without a tuner) will likely worsen the lean condition.

#19 ·
my 2017 sputtered and popped on deceleration all the time. After 700 miles this has completely disappeared. The engine has loosened up and is now smooth and has noticeably more power compared to when it was new. No need for programmer, just let it break in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.