Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have <50 miles on mine (2018 450 w/EFI but no EPS)- it does seams to consume a lot of fuel
Would be interested what others are getting

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have <50 miles on mine (2018 450 w/EFI but no EPS)- it does seams to consume a lot of fuel
Would be interested what others are getting
My 2011 was horrible on gas with stock 14 gr rollers. Looks like for the 2018+ 450 they upped the rollers to 16 gr, and you have EFI, so I'm surprised yours is hard on gas. I run 18 gr overdrive sliders in mine and once I take my primary apart this winter I think I will be switching to 20 gr rollers. You could try 18 or 20 in yours to see if that helps your mileage. What kind of terrain do you primarily ride, and at what typical speeds?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry if I am missing something here - not sure what this means " 2018+ 450 they upped the rollers to 16 gr," what is a gr? Gear Ratio? If so it's completely stock.
It's driven 95% of the time on our property a mile or two up and down to the lower 40ty - slow to moderate speeds up and down hills - we are old retired folks no need for speed
The gas mileage does indeed "suck" as compared the older 1999 Honda TRX300 - The Yamaha is EFI the Honda an old school Carb

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sorry if I am missing something here - not sure what this means " 2018+ 450 they upped the rollers to 16 gr," what is a gr? Gear Ratio? If so it's completely stock.
It's driven 95% of the time on our property a mile or two up and down to the lower 40ty - slow to moderate speeds up and down hills - we are old retired folks no need for speed
The gas mileage does indeed "suck" as compared the older 1999 Honda TRX300 - The Yamaha is EFI the Honda an old school Carb
2018+ = 2018 & 2019 (currently) Grizzly/Kodiak 450 model years
gr = grams, as in weight, for the primary CVT roller weights.

Yep we get much better fuel economy from our Honda's cause you can put them in 5th gear and cruise with low rpm. But for how little total gallons of gas I run through my grizzly, the poorer economy doesn't cost me that much extra $$ in a year. I like the 18 gr weights simply for the lower rpm at speed though.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I know this is like comparing Apples to Oranges, but my 09 550 with 6700 miles with 26" heavy PitBull Growler, Coop45 sheave, 18 gram Yamaha weights, and an EPI Orange spring, get 26 US mpg cruising at 35mph with a passager.

Again I know it's not a 450, but I had assumed they'd get even better mileage then mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts