Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this Dirt Trax TV video today about the 450Kodiak.
Why the name change? I don't know. It looks like a Grizz to me!
Fuel injection and still on the smaller frame!
MSRP $5999-$7149

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lacking diff lock, not the end of the world.

Reactions: Grizzly63

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Deleted due to incorrect information.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Lacking diff lock, not the end of the world.
The trails I ride no diff lock means winch , my buddies 03 Kodiak 450 has diff. lock I just don't understand the step back. I'm sure it's a nice mid-sized bike and most people wouldn't even miss it but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. They could at least make it an option on an SE model.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Well it looks like Yamaha did indeed change the name in the USA. They now follow the same name profiles of the Canadian market. All Grizzly's are now 700 models only, which is the way it has been in Canada for over a decade.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not keep it as the Grizzly? I noticed that the one in the video has preload adjustments also. Looks nice.
I'm not complaining about it. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Blklab and myself had the opportunity to demo the all new Kodiac 450 back in June when Yamaha was at St Joe Park in Park Hills,MO. They were pretty impressive. I still have my 09 450 Grizz so I have something to compare it to. The engine vibration is definitely smoother with the rubber engine mounts. The start up and engine performance was nice with the fuel injection. It had adjustable shocks,rode and handled well. The seat on it felt like a dirt bike seat. It felt small and nimble after coming off the 700. Power steering was nice. No fender dry storage and no diff lock??????? We were told that the SE model will have diff lock when it comes out. True or not??????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Late to the game.. but NO THANKS for a New Kodiak 450..... EFI - (Whoopie / Who cares!)No Diff-lock, Bigger frame (wider) than previous 2014 and older Grizzly 450 / Kodiak 450's

The reality is this.. I use the crap out of my Diff-lock on my Grizz 450. I ride mostly technical terrain. If and when the days comes to replace my trusty old 450 - I will finally graduate to a 708cc powered quad.. either the K700, G700 or even the haven't yet to be releases Wolfy x2 R-Spec w/847 twin (Wishful thinking)

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I think Yamaha's marketing department made a mistake here....although I bet those marketers know more than I do.
On the Yamaha Canada website, there is only $150 differemce between a Kodiak 450 EPS and a base Kodiak 700. So for $150, you give up EPS, but get a bigger engine and bigger chassis.
The Kodiak 700 base model is priced so low, Yamaha probably knows it will be next to impossible to sell a much smaller engine size model for only a few dollars less. And it doesn't cost Yamaha anymore money to produce the 700 over the 450. So profit margins are probably low on both models. With this, Yamaha is probably keeping some features unavailable on the 450 to push buyers to the little more profitable 700.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Yamaha did a similar thing in 2003 when they introduced the 450. The 400 lost key features, mainly the low range sub transmission and never received diff lock. Again, it was done to push buyers to the more expensive, higher profit margin 450 model.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I still think it's strange that Yamaha has a Kodak and a grizzly 700.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was looking at the 450 for wife, but for the money and diff-lock maybe king quad 500 might fit the bill? Diff-lock should had come on the Kodiak 450 models with EPS, go figure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm running a 2011 Grizzly 450 and where I ride/hunt the diff-lock is a definite plus.........the diff-lock is used on a regular basis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's no way I could/would buy the new 450. I can't understand why they would remove the diff lock, and make the machine bigger.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
There's no way I could/would buy the new 450. I can't understand why they would remove the diff lock, and make the machine bigger.
Both the Canam and Polaris 400 class machines are "Full size" chassis ATV's. I'd guess they are trying to get their share of that market. Plus, a wider machine is more stable, so maybe it means less roll overs and potentially less legal stuff.

I had a 450 Kodiak back in 2003. It was an awesome machine, turn on a dime and 100% bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That new 450 Kodi would be the perfect ticket for all the in-laws that I trail ride with. They put them away in the fall after deer hunting season, they only ride on tame trails. It would be a HUGE upgrade compared to what they have. They would never need diff-lock. For me on the other hand, it's been invaluable many times.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think your onto it Mainehunter, a lot of people won't need all the whistle's & bells & a lot certainly do, so why pay for extra stuff that is not needed, the extra width is for safety reasons so Yamaha can show the powers that be that their looking after the customers without having to put a roll cage around the ATV, I think that change was closer than we think!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think of ranchers around here who use a quad to haul salt in summer, tail up some cows, and move around the little stuff. They would be a large target audience as well. They are the ones who don't even care for EPS and just use 4x4 to get through mucky feed lots and corrals. This lower price option will bring them over from the Honda side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts