Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a pull start on a newer Yamaha grizzly 700? I've seen the forums where people would say, keep a set of jumper cables, or a battery boost pack, or you can jump start them by towing the machine at 20mph and it will start, etc. I have a boost pack on my bike at all times. I was riding alone a few weeks back, stopped to take a picture and went to start my bike, nothing, my starter failed. no hill in site, nobody to tow me to jump start it, nothing my battery booster could help me with and no cell reception. A few hours of walking till I found cell reception, finally got someone out to give me a tow start. So my new mission is, install a pull cord on my Grizzly 700. Anyone done it?

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Has anyone installed a pull start on a newer Yamaha grizzly 700? I've seen the forums where people would say, keep a set of jumper cables, or a battery boost pack, or you can jump start them by towing the machine at 20mph and it will start, etc. I have a boost pack on my bike at all times. I was riding alone a few weeks back, stopped to take a picture and went to start my bike, nothing, my starter failed. no hill in site, nobody to tow me to jump start it, nothing my battery booster could help me with and no cell reception. A few hours of walking till I found cell reception, finally got someone out to give me a tow start. So my new mission is, install a pull cord on my Grizzly 700. Anyone done it?
Why wouldn't your booster pack work that you had with you?
Most need to be set to over ride mode anyway to boost a big vehicle.

If your battery is completely dead, a pull cord wouldn't help you, just like a rolling bump start wouldn't at that point. Your battery needs 10v minimum to opperate the fuel pump & injector. But a dead starter is another can of worms lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,640 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
He said the starter motor failed.......
I don't think anyone has manufactured a pull start for a 700, not even a one-off.
When I ride alone a let someone know where to look if I'm not back for any reason at a designated time.
As for your idea to get past a trail breakdown, I would carry a second new starter on the bike to change out if needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
Changing out a starter is hardly a trailside repair, and out of the mechanical abilities of many riders. Not to mention the tools, and cleaning supplies and part you would need to carry with you for a chance it may die.

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
61 Posts
Changing out a starter is hardly a trailside repair, and out of the mechanical abilities of many riders. Not to mention the tools, and cleaning supplies and part you would need to carry with you for a chance it may die.

Always bring a deck of cards and play solitaire, without a doubt, someone will come by and tell you, you missed a move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts