Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2019 2020 grizzly reviews

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Ridgway81432 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
I am a new member. I'm actually in the market for a grizzly 700. I know this is a grizzly forum only but I'm stuck between the grizzly 700 s.e or a 19 kigquad750axi. From what I hear both machines have close to the same options. Only thing is where I live I can get a great deal on the 19 king almost 3 thousand dollars cheaper then the grizzly s.e. I really love the look of these grizzlys and would prefer it overall. My question is , between the new 2019 and 2020 models has anyone had anything bad to say about the machine yet?? Only thing I could find was regarding to the airbox collecting dirt quite frequently. What does everyone have to say? Thanks for all comments it will help with my buying decision.

#9 ·
FWIW, there are three grizzly riders in our group and one king quad guy...all of them have been involved in various rollovers and incidents that weren’t kind to the machines. All have about 2500-3000 hard west va miles on them...and the king quad has held up better than any of the grizzlies. By a long ways too. From the racks, to the plastics the king seems much tougher. Now handling wise might be different as the Kings have some wonky drone end geometry and don’t turn in the best. Good luck with your test drives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#10 ·
Well, both are great machines, the king upgraded their frame making them stronger, I love the new look of them, also I think you can get a machined sheave for the king from Coops45 which is a great mod, for trail riding putting the two machines side by side I would put money on the king is faster of the two but the Griz would ride better and a bit better steering, the 19s-20s Grizzes with the updated 686 still suffer from that lean condition according to EHS Performance so a fuel controller maybe needed plus they still have that popping from the Exhaust, the king does not suffer from that lean condition or popping noise from the exhaust, so... I love my Grizz but I would take a 750axi hands down with their 3 year warranty and put the saved $3000 for tire upgrades and maybe a machined sheave plus a few other accessories, having a good dealer in town helps also. good luck

#11 ·
Both are fantastic, reliable and capable machines. $3000 difference though....that's alot.

Here is something else to think about. Aftermarket support.
The Grizzly has a huge advantage in aftermarket support. From aftermarket accessories to aftermarket parts.

But $3000 difference is huge. You could do alot with $3000, or just simply save it.

#12 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
I think your choice is all going to depend on the trail conditions you ride most. Are you familiar with the trails around there, know guys that ride much, and have you been riding and just want a new bike?
Ask others around there what they like about their rides, and if you ride watch what they go through on the trail v how aggressive they ride.
To shorten a long day story, last week I was helping a new friend with a popo and we needed to go to town for parts. Because of questions I stopped at the local Yami, Suz. Kawi. dealer to let her look at new bikes and features, then went to the local popo dealer for the key blank.
All in all it seems Yami has been a leader in rider features the others are trying to copy, and in some areas the others have gotten close with their bike sitting on the dealer property. They all look about the same length, height off the ground sitting still with shiny wheels and bad tires. I didn't compare prices and was only there to point at different features for her to make her own choice some day and;
I wouldn't give 2 cents for shiny plastics and wheels or colorful stickers or crinkle paint on the racks. Over time Yami has let others get close and is probably losing sales, their engine performs well but doesn't have that oh shit feel if the throttle is masked completely. There is the backfiring on decel that's been there FOR YEARS, and as others don't do this it must be something Yami engineers approve for some reason.
BUT I saw a new standard green griz sitting out in the storage shed out back, like a puppy in the pound looking for a new home. You know, the one you can just look at among all others and instantly know its the right one for you. The one that says I'm a few more bucks which you'll forget about later when the shit hits the fan. (and why would anyone get a kodi other than for price? that was my first long look at one and damn, what is Yami thinking?)
I have put a few miles on my 660, posted pictures and videos along with a few stories of the demanding days I have enjoyed on this thing, and when looking at that new 700 sitting there I new it was of the same pedigree as my old faithful 660 from years ago. Easily understandable forward controls all in the same place (they got it right yeas ago) with the shift on the left side, are the competitors copying the best set-up (or some of them?)
The same style running boards easily removed for c.v.t. mods later if wanted, the new bikes haven't been changed much which shows there's not a lot wrong with them.
A few years ago another member here and I took a 660 and a 700 out for a week long beating here in the mountains, in that 7 day week we did 972 miles and 455 miles of those were on a single calendar day (Aug 12, 2015 to find old threads here). Over that week he picked up a nail and one night we switched his second set of tires for the first. Other than that it was 'Gas and Go Baby' each morning, so looking at that new Griz the other day if I was in the market why would I try another breed?
OK.....3000 bucks can be an influence, and if you ride with others close to town and do not demand proven reliability, reliability like what I and many other members here have proven over many tough miles, then keep us posted on your choice and riding experiences over time, and show us pictures and video too.

#14 ·
Well.. I love my Griz, and for the most part has been vey reliable, BUT.. I will say Suzuki has been a leader in the quad world right from the start, they were the first to come out with a quad, the others followed, they were the first with independent rear suspension, others followed, in the 80s in my neck of the woods you either had a Honda or a Suzuki, you stayed clear of Yamaha and Polaris, today there are many brands and yes Yamaha has gained respect over the years for improving and becoming a very reliable quad, while often overlooked Suzuki has always been there right from the start, proven, tough, reliable, they may not have a huge aftermarket support like Yamaha or Polaris, Can am, but there are some aftermarket support for sure, my only beef with Yamaha is that i'm scared to death that Yamaha is going to merge with Cat in the ATV/UTV division, Yamaha has already done this with their snowmobile line and products, and are slowly putting Yamaha engines in Cat ATV/UTV products, also I find Yamaha are pricing themselves out of business, a new 2020 700 Grizzly here in NS Canada is around 16 grand out the door with no major changes sense 2016 actually they went backwards to the 686 again in 19, my Nephew just bought a new Suzuki 500 AXI just loves it, 3 year warranty and a great deal and delivered right to his door.

#16 ·
I have to agree with many other, My wallet usually gets a majority of the vote and at 3000$ I'd go King also. My Wallet led me to the 19' Kodiak SE instead of a Grizzly SE, saved 1800$. Just hit 1000 miles on the 686 "2.0" and its been great but I don't have a reference point since this is my first "700" class ATV. I had a bit of decel exhaust popping for the first tank or 2 of gas but that has cleared up and the exhaust side panel doesn't get any hotter than my Rancher 420 does, The Can-am 570 I test drove almost gave me a second degree burn on my leg.

#20 · (Edited)
Definitely not $3000 cheaper to buy a king quad vs a grizzly. Top model grizzly eps LE compared to the lowest eps equipped KQ, yes, almost 3k difference. But when comparing equivalent spect versions the base grizzly is approximately $200 cheaper and with that you could also toss in the Kodiak with its closest equivalent being $700 cheaper.
I really like the king quad definitely a nice-looking bike now they're reliable slightly larger engine but the ride and the features still don't really add up to the Yamaha offering.
As for the whole three year warranty if you read the fine print it's an extended warranty basically the same thing that Yamaha offers I was offered up to a 5 year warranty from Yamaha for my bike and the same as Suzuki you have to pay for the extra warranty or using their special offers you can choose yet with a cash rebate instead of taking better Finance terms and a free winch. This is all exactly the same way Yamaha does their special offers so that 36-month warranty really is no perk. As for the lean issue, that is an issue with the king quad also, along with just about every new bike these days thanks to emissions standards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Well the only difference is the year . The king was a 19 which is there new style top of the line axi se for 10 800. And the 2020 grizzly se was 14 300 out the door. I was real close to getting that king and it looked great!. I actually lucked out and found a real clean 2010 special edition 700 in calgary and I'm going there this weekend to get it. It's what I originally wanted and I'm not doing payments so it worked out. I will deff keep an eye on the king maybe a second quad for the wife. Thanks everyone!

#22 ·
Yeah, looks like Suzuki Canada is offering some discounts for new, old stock and that the dealer you were looking at is discounting even further. The one area I'd be concerned about with a King Quad is the steering. I've understood that the steering on the Grizzly/Kodiak EPS is significantly better than a King Quad but would need to try a new KQ out to understand it better.

#25 ·
@AlbertaGrizzly87 & @dezz, yeah that is my understanding too on the new design but I've read some that are still not completely satisfied with the steering on the new design. I'd have to try it out myself to form my own opinion.

#26 ·
Hello everyone.
I am a new member. I'm actually in the market for a grizzly 700. I know this is a grizzly forum only but I'm stuck between the grizzly 700 s.e or a 19 kigquad750axi. From what I hear both machines have close to the same options. Only thing is where I live I can get a great deal on the 19 king almost 3 thousand dollars cheaper then the grizzly s.e. I really love the look of these grizzlys and would prefer it overall. My question is , between the new 2019 and 2020 models has anyone had anything bad to say about the machine yet?? Only thing I could find was regarding to the airbox collecting dirt quite frequently. What does everyone have to say? Thanks for all comments it will help with my buying decision.

#27 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
Type your message again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.