Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is a better machine, it's a toss up I'm going to buy one tomorrow and want some opinions. I'm going to do farm work, snow plowing and casual riding

·
Registered
134 Posts
So you asking in a Grizzly forum if a Sportsman is a better machine, without introducing yourself and not even saying hello.

Yes the Polaris is better you should buy one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello my name is Greg, I'm in British Columbia, Canada, I have a Yamaha grizzly 600 and looking to buy a new quad

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome Greg, the 850 Polaris has lots of power for sure and are a nice riding quad but some owners of the Polaris seem to have a lot of part failures and electrical issues but other owners not so much, I do a lot of towing and chores around my property and quite abit of hunting and fly fishing and trail riding and so far my Griz Has been great and would hands down buy another, I was a Honda man for years and was hesitant buying a Yamaha Grizzly but i'm glad I did, I can only tell you my experience where I never owned a Polaris quad but I have buddies that do, they have mist out on a few trail rides with their machine having troubles, the newer polarises may be better but not sure, i'm a Yamaha man now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You currently own a Yamaha so you should know the reliability, I have owned one Polaris in the past probably would not own another one I have owned many Yamaha‘s from two wheels to four wheels and continue to stick with them because of their reliability. my biggest complaint with the Polaris it was very difficult to work on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One word: Reliability.

I don't want to be stranded out riding alone as I often do. Haven't been yet in 13 yrs of Griz ownership. Polaris has flashier machines with more power and more toys. But at least I know I'm getting home!

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
Which is a better machine, it's a toss up I'm going to buy one tomorrow and want some opinions. I'm going to do farm work, snow plowing and casual riding
So you asking in a Grizzly forum if a Sportsman is a better machine, without introducing yourself and not even saying hello.

Yes the Polaris is better you should buy one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8yn815 and reogem, I didn't say a sportsman was a better machine at all, I'm merely asking for opinions on the two machines, I've done so much YouTubing about the 2 machines, I've had a 1996 Kodiak 400 limited edition which I just sold and also have a 2000 Grizzly 600, great machines, but reading and watching YouTube about the new 2019 grizzly and about how they over heat, very tippy, horrible on gas etc, sportsman has a numerous issues too. I'm just wanting the opinion of this community.
Thank you very much Griz7

·
Registered
175 Posts
8yn815 and reogem, I didn't say a sportsman was a better machine at all, I'm merely asking for opinions on the two machines, I've done so much YouTubing about the 2 machines, I've had a 1996 Kodiak 400 limited edition which I just sold and also have a 2000 Grizzly 600, great machines, but reading and watching YouTube about the new 2019 grizzly and about how they over heat, very tippy, horrible on gas etc, sportsman has a numerous issues too. I'm just wanting the opinion of this community.
Thank you very much Griz7
I have a 2018 Griz 700 with 5100 miles on it. Not tippy at all. They widened it in 2016. Never overheating including in 95 deg heat on a 215 mile trip riding hard. I get a bit under 30mpg on my 200+- in a single day trips. It's mostly faster speeds but I can go about 130 miles on a full tank before I decide to file up. A few people have complained about the 2016 - 2018 motors (the 708cc), specifically the first model year 2016 of having a few issues but I have never experienced any feeling of it being too hot or even close to overheating. Get the Yamaha. You won't be happy when you have to put so much money into the Polaris after a few hundred miles. Who is always broken down on the trails? Not the Japanese machines.

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
What did you except from a yamaha forum?
Yanagas are much better. I've towed many polaris home never a yamaha.

The 19s do not over heat and neither did my 16s. This is a matter of keeping the rad clean as with any engine.
My 19 kodi 700 gets 25-30 mpg.
My 16 got 20-25 mpg
Tippy is driver error.

The yamaha have less power but are way more agile. Way faster in 50" twisted trails.

I like the 700 kid is because the are smaller and more agile than the grizzlies.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had my Grizzly for about a half a year now, but I haven't really done much with it, work wise. I did pull my dad's 18' boat and trailer around my house once, it didn't seem to like that lol. I bought mine for trail riding really. But I was in your position. I was tossing around the idea of a Sportsman 1000XP or a Renegade 1000XXC. A far cry from what I settled on, I know. I wanted something with some horsepower. I researched for months. Read dozens of articles and watched many hours worth of YouTube videos trying to convince myself on a big Vtwin. But, in the end I just couldn't do it. I came to find that they just had more issues than the Japanese machines. So I narrowed it down to the Kingquad and Grizzly. I knew that I could trust it to get me home at the end of the day. I didn't need 90hp, I just wanted it. I also wanted a 4 wheel drive system that I could be in control of, and separate front and rear brakes. For how I ride, control is more important. So far, I'm still happy with the grizzly. It's better in every way than my Rincon, not leaps and bounds, but better. And that's all I really wanted. I drove my Rincon damn near into the ground, and she kept getting back up. Gave her to my dad, and he's bringing her back to life. I went with my gut, and it's working out so far.

Sent from my Dirtbag Galaxy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Awesome thank you very much for the opinions, tomorrow I'll be picking up my new addition to the grizzly family
You will enjoy it! Congrats! Post some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sounds like you use your machine like I do, hauling trailers, firewood, hunting and plowing. The transmission and ability to select modes is certainly better on the Griz. Been owning Yamaha's since 1996. When you get your new machine, look into a more useful trailer hitch receiver. I built a larger basket for the rear to carry items including chainsaws, fuel, etc...

·
Registered
111 Posts
The way I picked what I was going to buy was quite simple. I went on Kijiji and looked. After seeing pages and pages of Arctic Cats and Polaris, I knew what not to buy. Nobody ever wakes up and thinks to them selves "I have an amazing ATV that hasn't given me many if not any problems, I think I will sell it". As far as plowing goes I think you would be better off with the Grizzly. The clutch engagement on the Polaris is nowhere as smooth. What ever you decide, Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You made the right choice, if you plow or tow a trailer you need something with a clutch, Grizzly has a wet clutch which is best in the business, Polaris slips a belt for a clutch so you know what’s going to happen don’t you, and they have terrible engine braking, they actually use the brakes for their engine braking lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
  • Ok, took the trip, it was totally horrible roads, driving conditions sucked, slippery roads, total white-out blowing snow, but hey I was determined to get my Griz home, and well.....its home
Thants amazing! Congrats!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts