Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, for the first time i engaged diff lock. The engine started to sputter when i hit the throttle and was barely over idle. I then held the override button and it still sputtered. I disengaged it and carried on. I was in high on the transmission. When i was back at the parking lot, i put the transmission in low, engaged 4wd and put on the diff lock. It would rev freely without hitting override.
Seems something isnt right here. Could someone please explain the proper operation of the difflock/override please?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You were not properly engaged the first time you tried diff lock. They are programmed to go in limp mode when this is the case. Was the diff lock light solid or flashing? Flashing means it's not engaged..

Turning the handle bars back and forth helps get the system locked in quicker.

Also override is only to go over 20 mph. It has nothing to do with the initial system engagement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were not properly engaged the first time you tried diff lock. They are programmed to go in limp mode when this is the case. Was the diff lock light solid or flashing? Flashing means it's not engaged..

Turning the handle bars back and forth helps get the system locked in quicker.

Also override is only to go over 20 mph. It has nothing to do with the initial system engagement.
Thanks for your insight!

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
:)
Proper operations can mean many different things.
If you haul ass into a mud hole and get stuck in 2 wheel drive, pushing the button will allow the diff to engage once the teeth align. If you hit the gas too hard and spin the rear tires, the front end might not catch. Generally, seeing trouble, I shift in advance of stuck, I might still be rolling at low speed, which is OK if going straight.
As for the diff lock, I go easy until it locks up, the light comes on solid then I hit the gas.
I got this video running the Poughkeepsie Wall unaided, its very famous out here in the 4x4 world (google it).
With an a.t.v. I thinks it safer to run this wall in 2 wheel drive because in 4x4 the front end pulls to the side with uneven weight on the tires, that is when the tires are on the rock. I get the fronts hung over the top edge, then push the button. Stop and start the video to see no dash lights, then diff lock.
The first 2 minutes is better than the rest, winching another machine up the rock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts