Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Grizzly SE. Machine is a beast. Great in the mud, lacks top end on open trails. I was wondering if anyone was having a problem with their glove box getting very hot after short trail rides. My center console compartment fried my cell phone screen. Snack bars were melted. I even had a rag between the bottom and the items. I am a very good wrench. The motor is not overheating at all. Seems like it needs heat insulation between the box and the engine. Spoke to two other owners of a 2019 and they have the same problem. Still under warranty only 80 miles on the machine! Dealer is being given the run around from Yamaha. Anybody else having this problem. Great for heating up sandwiches on the trail but you can burn your hands reaching inside.

·
Grizzled
3,424 Posts
Seems most OHV manufacturers have been coming out with machines that are running leaner to meet "the standards". Chances are your machine runs on the lean side and your header pipe run's pretty hot. I'd personally look into a fuel injection tuner so you can add more fuel and not be running on the lean side. Just a guess but seems to be a trend lately. The only real way to tell is to see what your air/fuel ratio burn is at and then to adjust for the proper ratio. I'm I an expert on these things? No, but that's what I'd be doing. Go to youtube and search for your year and for info on running lean or FI tuning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Red Rocket. Probably contributing to the problem. However after spending big bucks on a new machine Ill let Yamaha figure it out. Not buying a tuner set up on an 80 mile machine. She runs strong no backfire, no hesitation, no smoke. She cools down at normal rate. Running blue ice. I am willing to bet that they have no heat shield or not enough where needed. Again thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
293 Posts
A heat shield would help. This box will get quite warm inside it is right above the cylinder head and exhaust pipe. It’s normal. And I think Yamaha will tell you the same

·
Registered
247 Posts
Recently added a tuner to mine and wish I had not waited this long to do it. Night and day difference in temp and the fan runs a lot less. Crazy to me how lean they have these set up from the factory after seeing the difference. Mine never did overheat or have any ill affects other than being able to hard boil eggs in the storage compartment with a little water….. (j/k i never did boil eggs in there)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Venom. Seems to me we should all get together and complain to Yamaha about needing the tuner not to boil eggs in their storage.I've ,had A sportsman, a brute and a Honda. They all probably could use a tuner but they still don't have a micro oven in their glove box, LOL. Thanks for your reply.

·
Grizzled
3,424 Posts
Thanks for the reply Red Rocket. Probably contributing to the problem. However after spending big bucks on a new machine Ill let Yamaha figure it out.
No problem and you're welcome. I fully get where you're coming from and in some senses, agree. However, for something like this, I take the mindset of longevity and want the machine to run optimally.

On my new to me 2014 Grizzly, it is noted that there are throttle positions, med --> high, where it could be running lean. I do live at 8000', so that also messes with fueling but at the other spectrum, usually rich. Because of all of that, I just want to know where the air/fuel ratio burn is to make sure fueling is optimal. I just purchased a FI Tuner and am also getting a bung installed on the header pipe so I can add in my Koso AFR wideband meter. Yes, none of that was extremely cheap but I also go with... it is cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Seeing lots of feedback similar to what @venom97 posted, seems to justify the extra spend for me. As a side note, back in late 2006 I purchased a new 2007 Subaru STI Limited. This model year had newly designed heads and was later discovered could potentially run lean by the tuning community. It was the first case/year of a situation like this and I went ahead and bought a tuner but brought it to a shop and had it professionally tuned... new catted turbo-back, new 850cc injectors, new fuel pump. Still have it today and it runs VERY well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts