Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I verified my 2009 grizzly 550 with 26" growlers it would top out at 98km/h on speedo 99 on gps. Pretty damn close

My 2019 700 with the same tires tops out at 103 km/h on speedo , but only 97 on gps!!!

It would seem Yamaha did not recalibrate the speedometers after the 6% gear reduction of the 2019 models.

Curious if anyone else observed this with their 2019 and / or 2020 models

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
My 19 vs the GPS runs within one or two MPH.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
79 Posts
My '20 (kodiak) was pretty spot on with the 24.5" stock tires. Mabey 1 or 2 mph off but thats probably the margin of error for a GPS speedo. Its a full 5mph off with the 27.5"s lol.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
@Vincent Are you checking with a GPS or with a phone?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
For what it's Worth, most current smart phones are more accurate than the average GPS used in a car for road trips.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I somewhat agree only because I have not checked my cell against the Garmin GPS in my truck. The maps alone and bad.

I use a Garmin Montana 680 on my ATV. The 680 is a trail GPS. It has a GEO cache feature. It will signal when it is when a couple of feet of a cache.Recently there was a cave in South Dakota I was trying to find it wasn't on any maps or the GPS. I did find that there was cache that was near the entrance of the cave. The 680 took me right to the cave and I found the cache.
I'm positive it is more accurate that a smartphone.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes the hand held GPS are much more accurate. I had no idea about this until I had to purchase a bunch of GPS for work. Geologist were very picky what GPS I got for them. Garmin GPSmap 6x series are the go to.

I picked up a used GPSmap 62, very similar to the 8 GPSmap 64c I got for work. My 62 was in mint condition and 1/4 the cost, works great for it on the bike

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 2019 with maxxis zilla's indicated the speed exact as on GPS. Spot on.
With the wear of the tires it has started to make a difference...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I'm not convinced there is a gear reduction....
26.5" tall true tires make the odo the same as a good g.p.s., and have for years, since back to '06' and the 660.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts