Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went ashore for a month or so. I haven't really been able to get back "into" the forum.

My Queen and I spent a month boondock camping and riding in a favorite NM area. Solar panel worked great.
Had some great rides met up with some people we haven't seen since last years ride. Both machines ran perfect.
Only took my phone so the pic's are kinda low quality.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car

Mountainous landforms Sky Wilderness Mountain Hill

Geological phenomenon Dirt road Trail Soil Road

Geological phenomenon Tree Soil Rock Trail

Geological phenomenon Trail Tree Soil Rock

Mountainous landforms Mountain Wilderness Ridge Mountain range

Mountainous landforms Mountain Wilderness Ridge Chaparral

Mountainous landforms Mountain Sky Wilderness Vegetation

Mountainous landforms Shrubland Vegetation Mountain Plant community

Post some more later.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice pictures, glad to hear you guys had a good time. Was it very cold?

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Looks awesome! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pictures, glad to hear you guys had a good time. Was it very cold?
Thanks..
Coldest morning was around 25 in the afternoon it usually hit 55-65. A couple days it was 70-75. The trails run from 4000-8000 ft.
In the past we have rode the entire lower two thirds of the state. This year we canceled a couple of the northern area rides because of cold and snow.
The two day we rode was up by Artesia weather was really nice. Not a soul riding there.
Moved the next day 30 miles east of Carlsbad. Rode that day and was going to dry camp there. Found 10 Border Patrol guys ATV training there.
A snow storm was blowing in so we moved into a Carlsbad campground to ride out the storm. Heard that our next planned area the Guadalupe Mountains had 8-10" of snow. We decided to flip our schedule so we moved to the S.W. corner of the state spent the next 14 days there.
Went back to the Guadalupe Mountains for the final 5 days of riding. Here we like to ride the canyons not so much the rims. The pictures of those rocky shelf trail is a rim about 5 miles long. Must be 4-5 of those rock shelf runs along that one.

Reactions: dag1401 and Vincent

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few more pic's.
Riding in narrow arroyos. Had to chimney climb some areas. See my foot prints? Got much narrower. Glad for the Pitbulls.

Just back a few yards scratched up that pretty blue paint.

Holed up for the storm. Had power,showers and WIFI

Some areas have miles of dry runs to ride.

Some high desert

Mine shafts everywhere.

Mulie doe stopping by for breakfast.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Really cool pix!

Love your bad ass set up with your rig, quads, and enclosed trailer !

I'm guessing your trailer is fully decked out for living in?

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
The trailer is basic, utilitarian. It was a construction trailer I had from my contracting days. It is only 6x14. It's great to snake down the forest roads for boondocking.
Use to a haul on machine in the trailer so it has a fold up bed. It also has a a gas furnace, chemical toilet, refrigerator and microwave. I just add a water tank and sink. We have a outdoor shower system.
I added the solar panels last summer. I think I went over board. I built a rack for the panels that tilts up and rotates. Don't think we need that feature. Never put it up never ran out of power for the lights and furnace.
One rig in the trailer was a pain cause there was no room to sleep without rolling the rig outside. So I built the truck rack.
We plan to build a much bigger camper to seasonally park out west at a campground we like. We'll still use the small one to go boondock ride in other areas. There are great areas to ride 50-100 miles from that campground.
Preparing for My queen can retire in 17 months. Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts