Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a 14x8 4.0+4.0 wheel? I'm finding mixed information on the fitment for a 2020 (or current model) Grizzly 700. ITP makes a 14x8 5.0+3.0 which several in the forum have, but I can't find anyone running the STI HD9 or Vision 551 14x8.

Looking at either wheel with Maxxis Vipr 27x11-14's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't comment on the wheels. But I can comment on the Maxxis Vipr on the Griz 700. I talked about them a good bit last year in this forum. Recommend you search for those posts before you buy. Basically, amazing grip (like seriously) but very stiff tires for a light ATV since they were created for SxSs. Their LB load rating is very high. Yes they are only 6ply rated sidewall but they are a very stiff tire and makes for a uncomfortable ride with a nervous on-center feel. But they turn in and track around corners like they are on rails. So pros do come with the cons. I get into it much deeper on other posts. I ended up selling them and replaced with another tire.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks SG. That's good to know about the Vipr's. I will keep researching for the best tire.
Good luck! Can't wait for the Spring so I can get back on my Griz!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
  1. I ride all winter long!
I use to ride in the winter, but none of my friends go out anymore. And I don't want a knife in the back from the sledders. There are trails in my state that it's legal to have ATVs on the groomed sled trails if it's below 32°F, not many, but some. But the sledders still get pissed oven if I follow the rules. This is why I'm getting my first sled next season. Can't wait!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me try and bring this back to the original meaning of the question...

I am really trying to understand if anyone is running a 14x8 4+4 wheel (of any brand) on a current model Grizzly 700? If anyone has experience running that size of wheel please comment.

I know 14x7's work, so that is not relevant and I'm sure the 14x8 will be fine on the back. It's really just the front interference that I am concerned with.

If you have a tire & wheel combo on that wheel size please share your experience and the tire you are running. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Why would you want to run such wide uncommon wheels?

A 7" wide wheel will provide more side wall curvature witch give your wheels more protection from damage. And I'm guessing would weigh less...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you want to run such wide uncommon wheels?

A 7" wide wheel will provide more side wall curvature witch give your wheels more protection from damage. And I'm guessing would weigh less...
Hi Vincent. Agreed this is an uncommon size. From what I can see it is more of a UTV size. Looking at the Vipr, the recommended size for the 27x11-14 is a 14x9 wheel. The 14x8 wheel gets close to that, but for the wheels I like (the Vision 551) they 14x8 only make it in a 4.0+4.0.

I also agree a narrower wheel will give more sidewall curve. Maybe a 27x11-14 Vipr would work fine on a 7" wheel? I would love to know if anyone is running them or any tire that size on a 7" wheel.

Like Stargate said, the Vipr is geared toward the UTV's and is a heavy built, higher weight rated tire. I totally dig the tread pattern...wish they made a "2.0" version like the bighorn for a lighter tire. I'm also considering Zilla's which recommend a 14x8 wheel for the 28x11.

Maybe 1" narrower than recommended is not a big deal?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Many run all kinds of tires on 7" wheels, Zillas aspecially.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update - I went ahead and purchased one Vision Five Five One (551) 14x8 4+4 wheel and a Zilla 28x11-14 tire. I wanted to make sure it had adequate clearance on the front. I wasn't worried about the back. Turns out, it does! In my opinion it looks great and was just the look I was wanting. If there had been clearance issues on the front I would have just used two of the 28x11-14's on the rear and the narrower 28x9-14 on the front.

The Vipr's tread pattern would match my riding stile a little better, but I did not want the excess weight and stiffness Disclaimer - I only base that on the comments from the forum and the tire specs I found online. I have not owned or ridden a machine of any kind with Vipr's on it. Plus, most people on the forum love the Zilla's for all kinds of riding, so I believe those are a good choice.

I will try to get some pics uploaded once I have all four on the machine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Update - I went ahead and purchased one Vision Five Five One (551) 14x8 4+4 wheel and a Zilla 28x11-14 tire. I wanted to make sure it had adequate clearance on the front. I wasn't worried about the back. Turns out, it does! In my opinion it looks great and was just the look I was wanting. If there had been clearance issues on the front I would have just used two of the 28x11-14's on the rear and the narrower 28x9-14 on the front.

The Vipr's tread pattern would match my riding stile a little better, but I did not want the excess weight and stiffness Disclaimer - I only base that on the comments from the forum and the tire specs I found online. I have not owned or ridden a machine of any kind with Vipr's on it. Plus, most people on the forum love the Zilla's for all kinds of riding, so I believe those are a good choice.

I will try to get some pics uploaded once I have all four on the machine.
Enjoy! Would love to see some pictures when you have a chance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Success! Finally after dealing with an incorrect wheel last week due to the wrong label on the manufacturer's box I have all four mounted! I have only taken it out for a short, low speed run through the woods, but so far they seem awesome!

I'm going to have to get a trailer now though. The machine is 52+ inches wide!

Here are a few before and after pics.

20200208_153937.jpg 20200208_153905.jpg 20200208_154312.jpg 20200222_174701.jpg 20200222_174629.jpg 20200222_174714.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update - after mounting all 4 wheels and taking it for a short test ride I installed the Yamaha overfenders. I have a very small interference problem with the rear wheels and the rear overfenders. It is at the very bottom, outside of the overfender down by the footboard. I can see by the rub marks how much is touching and I think I can just trim a little of the overfender to compensate without changing the rigidity of the overfender. It is very slight interference, maybe 2" high by 1/2" wide....maybe not even that much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts