Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE, 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 450 SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got into a new 2020 grizzly 700 SE, have about 800km on it. I seem to constantly be having issues with the bike overheating. The couple of times the rad has been clogged up, ive used the pressure washer to clean it out. The next time i went out the bike was overheating again, the rad looked very clean from the front but turns out the back side of the rad is caked full of mud. As its a fairly big job taking off the rad ive been considering doing a rad relocate at the same time. My wife has a 2020 kodiak and seems to have no issues. So my question is, is it my aggressive riding style and i need to rad relocate or are other people having issues with their grizzlys overheating? I ride with others with an outlander, a king quad and a x4 wolverine and we all go through the same mud, mine seems to be the only one clogging the rad. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Rad relocate kit, or stay out of the mud, I clean mine after every long ride, no mud pits though just trail riding and still gets dirty, but never overheats.

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
The radiator must be cleaned from both sides. I spray soap on both sides let it soak for a while. Then spray from every angle I can find. Never had an overheating problem on any of my machines because of a plug radiator. 450,660,old style 700,708, new style 700.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
We have a product at the shop called Coil Cleaner in a spray bottle we use it on grader rad's that plug with dirt, works really good you can see the foam action push the dirt out both sides of the rad, a rad shop told me never use a pressure washer on your rad, just the free flow out of a garden hose to clean, it works.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Is your fan working?

Reactions: wgc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rad relocate kit, or stay out of the mud, I clean mine after every long ride, no mud pits though just trail riding and still gets dirty, but never overheats.
After reading a bit more into it, a rad relocate seems to be the only way to go. I always clean mine after every ride, but it seems to be a problem on the ride. Ive heard it both ways about using a pressure washer or not. Ive heard it can bend the fins but I don't know from experience. Looks like if I want to go in a bit of mud the relocate is the only way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The radiator must be cleaned from both sides. I spray soap on both sides let it soak for a while. Then spray from every angle I can find. Never had an overheating problem on any of my machines because of a plug radiator. 450,660,old style 700,708, new style 700.
Do you remove your rad each time? I can't reach the back of the rad very well, some of it but definitely not all of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your fan working?
It runs when I turn the ignition on, can't say I hear it when I'm riding or when I'm stopped. Generally only hear it when I shut the bike off and then turn the ignition back on.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,049 Posts
Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
Do you remove your rad each time? I can't reach the back of the rad very well, some of it but definitely not all of it.
No I don't remove the radiator. I only use a regular garden hose to spray. The Kodi has a littler bit different hood. There is two vent slots on each side that I can spray the top back side of the radiator. I can also reach in and spray the lower back side from just above and behind the front tires. We clean the radiators after every ride before the mud drys out and hardens

Reactions: mike minno

·
Registered
984 Posts
It runs when I turn the ignition on, can't say I hear it when I'm riding or when I'm stopped. Generally only hear it when I shut the bike off and then turn the ignition back on.
You say you cleaned it with a pressure washer, which is a huge no no. The fins bend very easy, reducing cooling. Check your fins and just use a garden hose.
As for the fan. It should be running anytime you are overheating. It should kick on when you come to a stop after cruising the trail. It kicks on once bike reaches operating temperature to help prevent over heating

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did a diy rad relocate on mine and wife’s 17-16 kodiak’s over the winter. We both had a few times last year that our temp lights came on and we had to stop and let them cool ( we never pass up a mud hole ). We’ve gone riding twice this year and came back with our wheelers covered in mud, but our rads nearly a splat. Soooo much easier to clean. Here’s a photo of the wife’s kodiak .

Reactions: Fitzytg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got into a new 2020 grizzly 700 SE, have about 800km on it. I seem to constantly be having issues with the bike overheating. The couple of times the rad has been clogged up, ive used the pressure washer to clean it out. The next time i went out the bike was overheating again, the rad looked very clean from the front but turns out the back side of the rad is caked full of mud. As its a fairly big job taking off the rad ive been considering doing a rad relocate at the same time. My wife has a 2020 kodiak and seems to have no issues. So my question is, is it my aggressive riding style and i need to rad relocate or are other people having issues with their grizzlys overheating? I ride with others with an outlander, a king quad and a x4 wolverine and we all go through the same mud, mine seems to be the only one clogging the rad. Any suggestions?
Hey man I just bought a 2021 grizzly 700 se 2nd ride out and 7 hours on it the whole rad exploded and is spewing out the back , after not riding hard as I have a passenger on the back not sure why that would happen to a brand new quad anyone else have this issue ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts