Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I'm looking for advice on what to purchase. I bought a 2020 Grizzly 700 EFI SE it's the Silver Paint + Blue Stickers. I also purchased a plow for this unit which uses the Warn ProVantage 2500 winch to raise and lower. I'm looking for something that I can mount on my front rack or bumper that would allow me to run the winch cable into that and then down to the plow allowing me to get more lift on the plow. I've also trashed the winch cable with the current setup.

Also anyone have a low priced after market parts place they use? I need a new rear fender assembly as I put a fence pole through mine... It was new for 2 weeks now it's not.

·
Grizzled
3,424 Posts
Don't use a cable or rope, use a cut tow strap. I bought a 20' tow strap, cut in in 1/2, and roll that onto my 2500 lbs winch. I have been using the same strap for about 3 or 4 years now, hasn't broke once. And, I have a second one for when the first wears out. I know I have a thread on GC that has pictures, as I also added a roller that hangs from my front bumper, I'll need to search for it later.

·
Grizzled
3,424 Posts
Easier to just post the pictures here as I found them on my MAC. The roller attached to my front bumper was to help with the heavy lift and slow down the lift up/down action. The roller was sourced from a boat parts location, used on trailers to roll the "point" of the hull onto the trailer.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Use the strap as shown...and.....
For a friend with a plow and the cable kept breaking I realized the attach point is too far out (close behind the blade? so we use chain with bolt and nut around the each blade arm just ahead of the gussets shown above in picture 4. The hook goes on the chain to lift up, not pull and lift so as the blade rises there is still a lifting action. Oh, and my friends set-up is a center mount style.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I built a wood frame that attaches to the front rack with 4 bolts. I mounted a boat trailer rubber roller on it. The roller is mounted out far enough to be directly above the attachment point for the cable/rope/belt to pick the plow up vertically on a Warn Pro Plow, front mount (plow angles). Since the roller is mounted very high. you can pick the plow up very high. I used about 8-1/2" of seat belt strap rather than a tow strap, just taping ti to the winch drum and winding the strap on.. Worked great this winter as it really slowed down the speed the winch raises the plow, and as mentioned you can raise the plow quite high. If anyone wants photos, PM me a # to text them too. I don't post photos on the net. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wanting to raise up the blade higher ( center mount) I put a pulley on plow frame, the cable goes to pully then up to the front rack, the rack is reinforced during plow season by a piece of rebar. cost is about $6 bucks and has lifting efficiency has served me well for 20+ years. Never broke the steel cable yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wanting to raise up the blade higher ( center mount) I put a pulley on plow frame, the cable goes to pully then up to the front rack, the rack is reinforced during plow season by a piece of rebar. cost is about $6 bucks and has lifting efficiency has served me well for 20+ years. Never broke the steel cable yet.
My setup is very similar. I use a nylon strap to distribute the blade weight and also use the cheap Tusk 10' winch ropes instead of my expensive 50' one. When the rope breaks, I tie a new knot in it and get plowing. Can get 3-4 breaks per 10' rope depending on where it breaks.

I don't even use the hook (as shown) anymore. I just tie the line straight to the carabiner style clip. The tie down strap runs back to near the rack mounting bolts. Been this way for a couple seasons and no issues whatsoever.

You can physically lift the blade high enough to possibly damage your bumper or lights so you have to use caution.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Got around to taking a photo of how configured the wire rope to lift vs. straight line pull on plow body that has served me well with wire rope life.
btw that plow is 24 yrs old and has been welded upon many times, I put wings on to lengthen the width..fewer passes are good.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Winch cable to snatch block on plow then up to front rack will take 1/2 the stress off and give lots of height.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts