Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve already purchased 14” Rims and I bought Mud Lite XTR’s I’ve got about 20 miles on them and don’t like the ride. I found on pavement which we have to do a lot of to get to the next trail it’s like the front end of my wheeler is doing that dreaded death wobble you get in a Jeep.
I’m looking for a good tire for some pavement, sand, rocks and trails. We go fast so I’m some places so i am wondering what you all would recommend I’m not a big mud fan but if it’s the only way I’ll do it lol.

I was looking at the Big Horn 2.0’s but the reviews state the sidewalks are the downfall and here in Maine we have a lot of rocks in the trails.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Current ones in the machine

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm in NH and ride in ME as well. I've run the BH 2.0 on my old Griz 450. On my current 700 I'm trying out the BH 3.0. I have about 3700 miles on them. No issues. Probably not a rugged as the original BH but I like the directional tread pattern in the front for better cornering.

However, if you have a death wobble, maybe they are extremely unbalanced. Mine current ones were. Had to convince the dealer to do it as they said we normally don't on off road machines. Then they rode it and said "yeah, that's not right". They had to put A LOT of weight in to balance but now smooth on pavement. I haven't tried your tires so maybe it's the tread design, but maybe is just unbalanced? Good luck!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Get your tires balanced. That's all you need. That'll fix the tire wobble problem your experiencing.

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
I have a couple thoughts on your situation, the first being I suggest running 12" wheels for more sidewall flex which keeps the wheel lip a little higher off the ground.
One inch difference in ground clearance doesn't sound like much, and some guys like the look of a shiny 14" wheel, so to each their own. I personally would rather have the stock wheel which I think is stronger (takes a beating with less damage).
Then in my opinion there is only one best tires for the conditions you listed, and that is the original 6-ply Big Horn, and I think the 26x9x12, 26x12x12 combination is best from my experience. Tires cause a lot of heated discussion here on G.C. and I don't care what you ride, but you asked for thoughts and I have ridden these tires a long way over tough stuff with videos showing the great performance and......
These tires, in these sizes, can be compensated for with respect to the low speed performance loss of the grizz due to the taller diameter. And this diameter tires actually allows for higher top speed than can be had with stock tires. I confirmed this with g.p.s.
I have run these tires on pavement at highway speeds for long distances (over 20 miles in one run) to trail heads many times without needing balancing, then straight up the trail to the top of most mountains around here. Then the following day rode the slick rock around Moab without changing a thing about my set-up.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in NH and ride in ME as well. I've run the BH 2.0 on my old Griz 450. On my current 700 I'm trying out the BH 3.0. I have about 3700 miles on them. No issues. Probably not a rugged as the original BH but I like the directional tread pattern in the front for better cornering.

However, if you have a death wobble, maybe they are extremely unbalanced. Mine current ones were. Had to convince the dealer to do it as they said we normally don't on off road machines. Then they rode it and said "yeah, that's not right". They had to put A LOT of weight in to balance but now smooth on pavement. I haven't tried your tires so maybe it's the tread design, but maybe is just unbalanced? Good luck!
I just called my dealership as I have warranties through them and service plan and they stated they don't balance any ATV Tire. I'm going to have to try to find a place that will do an ATV Tire. I called my local tire place Town Fair Tire and they won't balance ATV either. It's just frustrating to spend 1500 bucks on rims & tires and then be so disappointed that you can't even really ride due to a death wobble. They won't replace the tires either. I have my factory ones but they are 12" and I was told that going to a 14" gives a little more clearance around the brakes so that stuff can fall in and out easier.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just called my dealership as I have warranties through them and service plan and they stated they don't balance any ATV Tire. I'm going to have to try to find a place that will do an ATV Tire. I called my local tire place Town Fair Tire and they won't balance ATV either. It's just frustrating to spend 1500 bucks on rims & tires and then be so disappointed that you can't even really ride due to a death wobble. They won't replace the tires either. I have my factory ones but they are 12" and I was told that going to a 14" gives a little more clearance around the brakes so that stuff can fall in and out easier.
That stinks. I would try another ATV dealer. Maybe one that also has street toys (like CanAm Spyders or Polaris Slingshots). Maybe those dealers have balancing equipment. My dealer is also a Can-Am dealer so maybe that's why. I don't honestly know but maybe check some other power sport dealers. like I said mine did push back a little saying they don't normally do it but they did have the capability to do it so I guess I may have gotten lucky.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a couple thoughts on your situation, the first being I suggest running 12" wheels for more sidewall flex which keeps the wheel lip a little higher off the ground.
One inch difference in ground clearance doesn't sound like much, and some guys like the look of a shiny 14" wheel, so to each their own. I personally would rather have the stock wheel which I think is stronger (takes a beating with less damage).
Then in my opinion there is only one best tires for the conditions you listed, and that is the original 6-ply Big Horn, and I think the 26x9x12, 26x12x12 combination is best from my experience. Tires cause a lot of heated discussion here on G.C. and I don't care what you ride, but you asked for thoughts and I have ridden these tires a long way over tough stuff with videos showing the great performance and......
These tires, in these sizes, can be compensated for with respect to the low speed performance loss of the grizz due to the taller diameter. And this diameter tires actually allows for higher top speed than can be had with stock tires. I confirmed this with g.p.s.
I have run these tires on pavement at highway speeds for long distances (over 20 miles in one run) to trail heads many times without needing balancing, then straight up the trail to the top of most mountains around here. Then the following day rode the slick rock around Moab without changing a thing about my set-up.
So your saying the Maxxis Big Horn not the 2.0's or 3.0's.

I'll look into the rims as the current rims I purchased are 14" and the tires I have are 27X9X14 and 27X12X14. The reason I went with 14" is due to the dealership recommending them to give more clearance around the brakes and stuff I'm very new to wheeling so it may just be someone taking advantage of me. They also got me to buy Stage 3 Elka Shocks lol I hope that wasn't a mistake either I have yet to put them on but they told me the ride would be night and day. Plus I thought this must be like my Jeep where bigger is always better lol and I ended up with 40" Gumbo's on my jeep.

I appreciate the feedback gives me something to think about I either need to sell the tires and rim combo to someone else and get another set or I need to find a dealership that can balance my tires to see if that may help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That stinks. I would try another ATV dealer. Maybe one that also has street toys (like CanAm Spyders or Polaris Slingshots). Maybe those dealers have balancing equipment. My dealer is also a Can-Am dealer so maybe that's why. I don't honestly know but maybe check some other power sport dealers. like I said mine did push back a little saying they don't normally do it but they did have the capability to do it so I guess I may have gotten lucky.
Yeah I've got a couple other dealerships father away from me lol you know how that is being in NH you should understand I think I'd have to drive close to 2 hours to get to the other place.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah I've got a couple other dealerships father away from me lol you know how that is being in NH you should understand I think I'd have to drive close to 2 hours to get to the other place.
Ouch. 2 hrs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to mention they are booking out at most dealerships to Middle of July so in order for me to get this done I have to take all 4 wheels off the thing and bring them in or I have to wait until Mid July/August to get in for an appointment....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same machine, absolutely love it! I was wondering if I could get some opinions of good mud tires and rims. I live in northern Alberta Canada and I ride a lot of heavy soil (clay and heavy muskeg) and help would be greatly appreciated. Right now my machine is bone stock and just wondering what tires and sizes you guys found worked best for heavy mud on stock axels. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
So your saying the Maxxis Big Horn not the 2.0's or 3.0's.

I'll look into the rims as the current rims I purchased are 14" and the tires I have are 27X9X14 and 27X12X14. The reason I went with 14" is due to the dealership recommending them to give more clearance around the brakes and stuff I'm very new to wheeling so it may just be someone taking advantage of me. They also got me to buy Stage 3 Elka Shocks lol I hope that wasn't a mistake either I have yet to put them on but they told me the ride would be night and day. Plus I thought this must be like my Jeep where bigger is always better lol and I ended up with 40" Gumbo's on my jeep.

I appreciate the feedback gives me something to think about I either need to sell the tires and rim combo to someone else and get another set or I need to find a dealership that can balance my tires to see if that may help.
I have ridden with other members on 2.0's and they work, but are lighter design and don't seem to last as long. As for the 3.0's, let others chime in.
As for the wheels, they do make the O.G.'s in 14" wheel diameter too.
And I have never read a bad review of the Elka's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have mud tires and no amount of balancing will change that. 12" wheels will make only a little difference. You need a tire with smaller and tighter tread lugs. If you don't mind different treads front and rear, you could just change the fronts and get the best of both worlds. You just need to make sure they are the same actual diameters. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You have mud tires and no amount of balancing will change that. 12" wheels will make only a little difference. You need a tire with smaller and tighter tread lugs. If you don't mind different treads front and rear, you could just change the fronts and get the best of both worlds. You just need to make sure they are the same actual diameters. Good luck and keep us posted.
False info man.
Coming from guy that worked & managed a tire shop for many years, balancing will help any tire, yes even huge mud lugs. A good guy on a balancer that takes pride in his work can balance almost any tire.
12" wheels would be a much better choice in the op's case. Softer sidewall to absorb some of the vibration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Definitely false info. They can certainly be balanced

Mudlite XTRs are only 1 1/8 lugs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So we confirmed it is the tires and not the rims... Those Mudlite XTR's are being sold someone else can have the headache. I let one of my buddies who works on wheeler's ride it for the day while I rode his Can-Am Outlander 1000 which btw is a dream ride the electronics, the suspension, the throttle everything about the Can-Am was far superior to my grizzly. He drove it about 6 miles and then got off and told me to take my wheeler back. It's no wonder my entire body hurt every time we went for a ride I'm fighting with the tires and the lack of good power steering from the Grizzly.

Next will be finding a decent set of tires I put the stock ones back on and it rides great now no death wobble. But we all know the stock tires that come with it just are horrible so I need to find a good set of tires. I'm going to take my buddies old tires and throw them on my 14" rims to ensure I still get a smooth ride prior to purchasing a new set.

FYI Highly recommend upgrading the suspension to Elka Stage 3 Shocks... What a HUGE difference that made in the ride, stability and overall comfort.

Now that I've spent what I would have paid for the Can-Am 1000 I'm still pretty disappointed in how far behind in technology and ride Yamaha is. However, I get that my Yamaha Grizzly 700 will breakdown far less and require far less work than the Can-Am and that's a good thing cause I'm far from a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
I'm damn sure glad you found out about those tires on your own, there have been several members here in the past buy and sell those model tires for the exact same reason. Its not like other models are all perfect either but over time some styles develop a better rep than others.
A budget doesn't seem to be a purchase influence with you, so think about a set of O.G.'s and if you want 12 or 14 inch wheels.
As for the canned ham thing coming up, I promise you this...if you ride tough conditions routinely, the Griz will give you much better service, with less repair expense over a riding season.
In a straight line the canned ham is fast, but on tight/twisty/rough trails doesn't stand a chance of staying with your Griz.
I know this from experience, that in rocks and carrying speed 100 miles on a canned ham is difficult to get done on a day ride.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
12" wheels ride better then 14" btw.

Also those 1000 cc Can ams are known for rear differential failures, ask one of our members who went threw 3 of them in about a year.....

My coworkers baught one and all his rear bushings failed in 250 miles. Can am refused to cover it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
12" wheels ride better then 14" btw.

Also those 1000 cc Can ams are known for rear differential failures, ask one of our members who went threw 3 of them in about a year.....

My coworkers baught one and all his rear bushings failed in 250 miles. Can am refused to cover it.
I think Yamaha needs to re-look at it's power steering setup and figure out a way to make it adjustable like the Can-Am. Also the way the throttle responds and doesn't jerk around when going over bumps is amazing on the Can-Am.

I found where i can buy an aftermarket upgraded power steering pump for my Grizzly which may or may not help with wobble. But we found that if we pitched the tires out a bit the wobble got less still not perfect but less. They think if I had upgraded the pump and also pitched the tires out a bit I would have had no wobble at all.

Those Mudlite XTR's are amazing tires just not for the Grizzly :(

1 - 20 of 58 Posts