Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm damn sure glad you found out about those tires on your own, there have been several members here in the past buy and sell those model tires for the exact same reason. Its not like other models are all perfect either but over time some styles develop a better rep than others.
A budget doesn't seem to be a purchase influence with you, so think about a set of O.G.'s and if you want 12 or 14 inch wheels.
As for the canned ham thing coming up, I promise you this...if you ride tough conditions routinely, the Griz will give you much better service, with less repair expense over a riding season.
In a straight line the canned ham is fast, but on tight/twisty/rough trails doesn't stand a chance of staying with your Griz.
I know this from experience, that in rocks and carrying speed 100 miles on a canned ham is difficult to get done on a day ride.
Yeah no I don't care how much it costs, I'm actually looking at some radial tires that go on UTV's they will be a bit heavier than I want and they cost $240 a tire but they may be worth a shot.
I'm also contemplating upgrading my Power Steering pump but I bought a brand new 2020 grizzly I kind of expect it to be better than it is.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There is no such thing as Grizzly powersteering pump. They are electronic not hydraulic

Personally I find my 19s EPS amazing...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
12" wheels ride better then 14" btw.

Also those 1000 cc Can ams are known for rear differential failures, ask one of our members who went threw 3 of them in about a year.....

My coworkers baught one and all his rear bushings failed in 250 miles. Can am refused to cover it.
Are you running 12"? and your running PitBull Tires? Do you have a large shake going down the road or in the sandy stuff?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is no such thing as Grizzly powersteering pump. They are electronic not hydraulic

Personally I find my 19s EPS amazing...
Odd enough... I'll get the details from the shop that I brought it to. They actually have my wheeler in pieces at moment it's been a long 5 weeks without it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Are you running 12"? and your running PitBull Tires? Do you have a large shake going down the road or in the sandy stuff?
Both my new and old 12" Growlers as well as the factory 27x10 r14 zillas were smooth at all speeds on any terrain, including pavement. Zero handle bar shakes....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Odd enough... I'll get the details from the shop that I brought it to. They actually have my wheeler in pieces at moment it's been a long 5 weeks without it.
Why is it apart?

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Yeah no I don't care how much it costs, I'm actually looking at some radial tires that go on UTV's they will be a bit heavier than I want and they cost $240 a tire but they may be worth a shot.
I'm also contemplating upgrading my Power Steering pump but I bought a brand new 2020 grizzly I kind of expect it to be better than it is.
:)
Now you are thinking like I did years ago.....
The Big Horn O.G.'s were the stock tire for the rzr, in a 26" diameter for 12" wheels, and popo rated them to carry the heavier machine. In 2012 many rzr owners that hoped up their machine, going to taller tires, sold these as take-off. Mine had a couple hundred miles on them when I put them on my 660.
I'm not sure what your looking at now, but I haven't been able to break on of these tires, I've landed so hard that I bent a rear wheel but did not hurt the tire.
For your steering project, the Griz comes toed out for safety, then some riders run toooooo little air pressure. The low p.s.i. causes a dragging, then the tires not pointed in the same direction also causes a dragging, so I suggest a good tire, air them up and get the front tires straight.
You can always let air out, put the toe-out back in the steering and go back to what you have now. I have done this work for local buddys and they like the results.
There will be less dust behind you when the tires are not scuffing against each other, there is less machine dancing back and forth and in general a better experience.
One day I was following other members, carrying the extra gas, and decided to do this coasting video for shits and grins. I ride with one hand, sometimes the left only (no gas needed) and with the key on and the kill switch to off the odo shows speed.
You can make Griz steering better with a little work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think Yamaha needs to re-look at it's power steering setup and figure out a way to make it adjustable like the Can-Am. Also the way the throttle responds and doesn't jerk around when going over bumps is amazing on the Can-Am.

I found where i can buy an aftermarket upgraded power steering pump for my Grizzly which may or may not help with wobble. But we found that if we pitched the tires out a bit the wobble got less still not perfect but less. They think if I had upgraded the pump and also pitched the tires out a bit I would have had no wobble at all.

Those Mudlite XTR's are amazing tires just not for the Grizzly :(
Wow, you should sell your grizzly and just go buy a can am. You are the first and only person, that I've seen say they prefer the canam power steering over yamaha. The 3 settings are horrible compared to yamaha, or even Honda's power steering. It over compensates, making for a no feel ride, often causing misjudge ment in Trail conditions that get people into trouble. You need that light feedback. Not once have I ever had the bars jerked from my hands yet can still tell there was an object.
As for throttle, that would be you not the machine, the throttle only responds when you press it, if it's jerky, that's your lack of throttle control. You say the Can-Am doesn't jerk, so that big beast of an engine is lacking throttle response? I disagree, you lightly touch the Can-Am throttle, it responds, and it's more sensitive, actually, I believe it's just the increased power was more noticeable than actually being a sensitive throttle.
Now suspension.... You had me lol litterly when you said the Can-Am was smoother ride than the grizzly. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, if the grizzly preload was maxed out, and the Can-Am preload was at its softest. But even still, I find it hard to believe. They ride rough, and most honest, unbiased Can-Am owners will admit, the suspension sucks compared to most any other brand.

FYI, your grizzly doesn't have a power steering pump, so whatever you found for an "upgrade", is not going to work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
@CanadianKodiak700 for the suspension part, I suppose it is possible user LennyNCristy was riding a Can Am that had suspension changed by way of Elka shocks via this quote

FYI Highly recommend upgrading the suspension to Elka Stage 3 Shocks... What a HUGE difference that made in the ride, stability and overall comfort.
If his mention about the Can Am's suspension being a lot better than the Grizzly platform and that Can Am has Elka shocks... not a fair comparison at all. I've jumped on a Grizzly that had Elka stage 4 shocks and I was blown away how much better a ride they provide... pretty much the same consensus for every ATV out there when comparing to OEM shocks.

The one item that always gets neglected to be mentioned when the 1000cc engine power comes up is power-to-weight ratio. Yeah, those Can Am and Popo 1000 machines do have significant power, but they are also pig heavy. I absolutely love how nimble my Grizzly is even if significantly down on power when compared to the 1000s. For me, it's not about who has the most power where I ride. I choose not to ride dirt roads so I couldn't care less about straight line speed. I also do not nor ever will care about riding in mud holes. For me, having a 1000cc engine in an ATV is just not needed as I get stupid enough with my lighter weight 686cc machine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I really don't think you should go to the heavier utv tire. On a machine that you are already complaining about a harsh ride until Elka install, you are going to install a tire designed for a much heavier machine, with stiffer sidewalls and in a 14" at that where lack of sidewall cushion is already an issue.
Ideally, sell your 14" set up, and get a good set of tires for your oem 12" rims.
You are in Maine, it's pretty much the same trail conditions as New Brunswick, where I grew up, and I still trailer my kodiak back once a year to ride for a week with family and friends.
I'm running 26" reptile radials, they have phenomenal traction in moderate mud, wet rocks, slimmy logs, great on the hard pack trails and in the sand/gravil pits. Here in Ontario, where I live, I have to travel 2km on asphalt from my apartment to the other side of town to hit a trail that takes me out to the bush. These tires work great on asphalt and on the 4km concrete sidewalk I travel on to go to the local store.
Like you, I don't really do mud, unless it's my only option to get through a trail with no way around. I'm out to enjoy the wilderness, not work my ass off getting unstuck. Lol
I believe a good set of 26"x12" radials would be perfect for you, something like my reptiles, or bighorn og, growlers if you can find any. Bearclaw htr.

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Ah, so you're saying the Elka stage 3 shocks are on the Grizzly and that is what where the reference was to? Helps when there are signatures to show what machine and mods are on it to know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Wow, you should sell your grizzly and just go buy a can am. You are the first and only person, that I've seen say they prefer the canam power steering over yamaha. The 3 settings are horrible compared to yamaha, or even Honda's power steering. It over compensates, making for a no feel ride, often causing misjudge ment in Trail conditions that get people into trouble. You need that light feedback. Not once have I ever had the bars jerked from my hands yet can still tell there was an object.
As for throttle, that would be you not the machine, the throttle only responds when you press it, if it's jerky, that's your lack of throttle control. You say the Can-Am doesn't jerk, so that big beast of an engine is lacking throttle response? I disagree, you lightly touch the Can-Am throttle, it responds, and it's more sensitive, actually, I believe it's just the increased power was more noticeable than actually being a sensitive throttle.
Now suspension.... You had me lol litterly when you said the Can-Am was smoother ride than the grizzly. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, if the grizzly preload was maxed out, and the Can-Am preload was at its softest. But even still, I find it hard to believe. They ride rough, and most honest, unbiased Can-Am owners will admit, the suspension sucks compared to most any other brand.

FYI, your grizzly doesn't have a power steering pump, so whatever you found for an "upgrade", is not going to work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapata
I definitely thought about selling it and purchasing a Can-AM but I just can't do it I've always wanted a Grizzly... I've got close to 19k invested into the Wheeler + the Upgrades.

The throttle is probably due to it being much easier to push on the Can-Am as well as you have the ability to set the sensitivity which I find pretty neat. I'm all about technology and yes I know I bought the wrong wheeler for "Technology" Hence why the Yamaha is such a work horse and rarely has issues or breaks down cause it doesn't have all the fancy stuff. As far a a smoother ride I believe it's due to my weight and the fact that the 1000 comes with upgraded shocks. The new shocks I put on my Grizzly give me a better ride than the Can-Am but it took spending $1700 after install to get that ride.

The Stock Suspension on a Grizzly is junk if your a bigger guy :) is that better? The Elka Stage 3 is formatted to my weight and then some so now that I have those installed the one ride I got to take with it with the stock tires & new shocks the ride was much better the bumps were handled better. I am in hopes I can get the wheeler back in the next week or so... That one ride we took was 350 miles and I'm not sure what I did to the damn thing but it required them to take it apart and clean it. They have also recommended I do the radiator relocation kit???? I'm not sure why but something about the Bison Bumper I have on it doesn't allow enough air flow...

I think either I have to find some creditable people in a shop here local or I have to learn how to do this on my own which I'll be honest with myself I'm not very mechanically inclined lol. They probably see a person that doesn't know much just wants to ride come into the store and they are taking full advantage of that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I really don't think you should go to the heavier utv tire. On a machine that you are already complaining about a harsh ride until Elka install, you are going to install a tire designed for a much heavier machine, with stiffer sidewalls and in a 14" at that where lack of sidewall cushion is already an issue.
Ideally, sell your 14" set up, and get a good set of tires for your oem 12" rims.
You are in Maine, it's pretty much the same trail conditions as New Brunswick, where I grew up, and I still trailer my kodiak back once a year to ride for a week with family and friends.
I'm running 26" reptile radials, they have phenomenal traction in moderate mud, wet rocks, slimmy logs, great on the hard pack trails and in the sand/gravil pits. Here in Ontario, where I live, I have to travel 2km on asphalt from my apartment to the other side of town to hit a trail that takes me out to the bush. These tires work great on asphalt and on the 4km concrete sidewalk I travel on to go to the local store.
Like you, I don't really do mud, unless it's my only option to get through a trail with no way around. I'm out to enjoy the wilderness, not work my ass off getting unstuck. Lol
I believe a good set of 26"x12" radials would be perfect for you, something like my reptiles, or bighorn og, growlers if you can find any. Bearclaw htr.

Ohhhh NICE!!! Ok So Stick with 12" and I'll take a look at the Reptiles.. I bought the 14" as the dealership said that it was a better option allowing more clearance around the brakes??? It sounded legit so Cha Ching $1600 later I have not 4 tires and rims but 5 lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
@CanadianKodiak700 for the suspension part, I suppose it is possible user LennyNCristy was riding a Can Am that had suspension changed by way of Elka shocks via this quote

If his mention about the Can Am's suspension being a lot better than the Grizzly platform and that Can Am has Elka shocks... not a fair comparison at all. I've jumped on a Grizzly that had Elka stage 4 shocks and I was blown away how much better a ride they provide... pretty much the same consensus for every ATV out there when comparing to OEM shocks.

The one item that always gets neglected to be mentioned when the 1000cc engine power comes up is power-to-weight ratio. Yeah, those Can Am and Popo 1000 machines do have significant power, but they are also pig heavy. I absolutely love how nimble my Grizzly is even if significantly down on power when compared to the 1000s. For me, it's not about who has the most power where I ride. I choose not to ride dirt roads so I couldn't care less about straight line speed. I also do not nor ever will care about riding in mud holes. For me, having a 1000cc engine in an ATV is just not needed as I get stupid enough with my lighter weight 686cc machine.
Oh exactly, my buddy has an 850 outlander, and it's a beast compared to my kodiak. His is bone stock, my kodiak only has tires and shims when we rode together. We swapped bike for a while, on a straight rail bed, I cracked it on the outty, avg let him and my kodiak behind, but the washboard on the trail was a death trap on his bike, where earlier my kodiak soaked it up. That's actually where he caught up to me with my kodiak, because I had to slow down with the canam. In the woods, with the tighter twisty trails, I found the Can-Am too bulky, age didn't turn as nice as the kodiak, and the 3 settings for eps just don't work, lowest has almost no response, middle you have no feed back and on the highest setting, it says no feedback at slow speeds, age almost dangerous at high speeds. It's just not a good system.
But the power..... Pin it... It goes.... I like speed too much to own one of them.... Lol no need for that speed and power in the woods. My 700, now machined cvt, is all I need.

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Ohhhh NICE!!! Ok So Stick with 12" and I'll take a look at the Reptiles.. I bought the 14" as the dealership said that it was a better option allowing more clearance around the brakes??? It sounded legit so Cha Ching $1600 later I have not 4 tires and rims but 5 lol
It sounds like your dealership's only concern is to try and milk you of money.

More tire volume in 12" vs 14" for the same tire height. Unless you specifically ride mud holes or muddy swamp riding, you do not need a rad relocate on a Grizzly. Save your money.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh exactly, my buddy has an 850 outlander, and it's a beast compared to my kodiak. His is bone stock, my kodiak only has tires and shims when we rode together. We swapped bike for a while, on a straight rail bed, I cracked it on the outty, avg let him and my kodiak behind, but the washboard on the trail was a death trap on his bike, where earlier my kodiak soaked it up. That's actually where he caught up to me with my kodiak, because I had to slow down with the canam. In the woods, with the tighter twisty trails, I found the Can-Am too bulky, age didn't turn as nice as the kodiak, and the 3 settings for eps just don't work, lowest has almost no response, middle you have no feed back and on the highest setting, it says no feedback at slow speeds, age almost dangerous at high speeds. It's just not a good system.
But the power..... Pin it... It goes.... I like speed too much to own one of them.... Lol no need for that speed and power in the woods. My 700, now machined cvt, is all I need.

I don't like speed at all on a 4-wheeler... I'm a steady 20/30 miles an hour on the railroad beds I don't really like to go above that.. This may change with the new setup though as I felt like I was going to die every time I went over 20-30 miles an hour due to the shake and wobble I had. That Can-Am 1000 though is fast I punched it just to test it out and holy crap HOLD ON TIGHT YOUR GOING for a ride!!!! The seat on the Can-Am sucks the Grizzly seat is nice and comfy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I definitely thought about selling it and purchasing a Can-AM but I just can't do it I've always wanted a Grizzly... I've got close to 19k invested into the Wheeler + the Upgrades.

The throttle is probably due to it being much easier to push on the Can-Am as well as you have the ability to set the sensitivity which I find pretty neat. I'm all about technology and yes I know I bought the wrong wheeler for "Technology" Hence why the Yamaha is such a work horse and rarely has issues or breaks down cause it doesn't have all the fancy stuff. As far a a smoother ride I believe it's due to my weight and the fact that the 1000 comes with upgraded shocks. The new shocks I put on my Grizzly give me a better ride than the Can-Am but it took spending $1700 after install to get that ride.

The Stock Suspension on a Grizzly is junk if your a bigger guy :) is that better? The Elka Stage 3 is formatted to my weight and then some so now that I have those installed the one ride I got to take with it with the stock tires & new shocks the ride was much better the bumps were handled better. I am in hopes I can get the wheeler back in the next week or so... That one ride we took was 350 miles and I'm not sure what I did to the damn thing but it required them to take it apart and clean it. They have also recommended I do the radiator relocation kit???? I'm not sure why but something about the Bison Bumper I have on it doesn't allow enough air flow...

I think either I have to find some creditable people in a shop here local or I have to learn how to do this on my own which I'll be honest with myself I'm not very mechanically inclined lol. They probably see a person that doesn't know much just wants to ride come into the store and they are taking full advantage of that.
Just FYI, I'm 300+ lbs, I have my kodiak shocks set to 1 notch below max preload, I need to drop the fronts down one more notch, then should be ideal. I'm jealous of your elkas. Lol
I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger in that big expense.
I'm sorry to say, but I do think you have a crappy dealer that see's your inexperience and looks at you like a walking $. They did make a good recommendation on the elkas, but with the wheels, I don't think they did, they fed you one sided info, not the pros and cons.
Ask on this firm before making any purchase, there are alot of unbiased Gus on here with years of experience. We are all willing to help.
I hate seeing others spend hard earned cash on stuff when there are better options out there.
Never any harm in asking.
And we all make mistakes. I'm a prime example, in the first 2 month of owning my kodiak, it has 3 sets of tires... Oem were on it for about 30min, then I had a set of tires installed that I bought 2 days before signing the papers for the bike. They had a high speed death wobble, I tried everything, remounting, balancing, nothing worked, and then I bought the reptiles. Problem solved.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't like speed at all on a 4-wheeler... I'm a steady 20/30 miles an hour on the railroad beds I don't really like to go above that.. This may change with the new setup though as I felt like I was going to die every time I went over 20-30 miles an hour due to the shake and wobble I had. That Can-Am 1000 though is fast I punched it just to test it out and holy crap HOLD ON TIGHT YOUR GOING for a ride!!!! The seat on the Can-Am sucks the Grizzly seat is nice and comfy.
I agree with that seat, the 850 was the same, like a wide board with not much more than a towel for padding is what it seemed like.

And yes... Pin that throttle and hang on.... Prob the reason they have the hard seat, is they figure once you pin the throttle, you fill your pants and that should be soft enough. Lol

20/30mph, so about like me, 50kph cruising the more open trails, or slower, with the occasional little burst in a long straight stretch just for fun, but 95% of the time it's just cruising, taking in all the scenery

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
@CanadianKodiak700

Dude if you 300 lbs why settle on a kodiak? Grizzly has much better ergonomics and plusher suspension....

·
Registered
355 Posts
@CanadianKodiak700

Dude if you 300 lbs why settle on a kodiak? Grizzly has much better ergonomics and plusher suspension....
I didn't settle. I tried both. The grizzly seat and bars were uncomfortable. Not a natural feeling. Then the seat height which I never considered, until I threw my leg over the grizzly on the showroom floor and left a big glob of mud across the seat, my foot clears the kodiak seat with ease.
I actually found the foam in the grizzly seat to be more dense and firm, like the replacement foam I used on my old suzuki that I regretted long after. I prefer the softer seat of the kodiak.
The grizzly has much poorer ergonomics, it's tetter suited for someone with long alien like twig arms and legs. Not to mention, it feels way bigger and not quite as nimble in twisty trails as the kodiak, close but not quite. And then with the kodiak, I can use my body to easily toss that around at speed of I need to, where I can't as easily with the bigger grizzly.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts