Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I didn't settle. I tried both. The grizzly seat and bars were uncomfortable. Not a natural feeling. Then the seat height which I never considered, until I threw my leg over the grizzly on the showroom floor and left a big glob of mud across the seat, my foot clears the kodiak seat with ease.
I actually found the foam in the grizzly seat to be more dense and firm, like the replacement foam I used on my old suzuki that I regretted long after. I prefer the softer seat of the kodiak.
The grizzly has much poorer ergonomics, it's tetter suited for someone with long alien like twig arms and legs. Not to mention, it feels way bigger and not quite as nimble in twisty trails as the kodiak, close but not quite. And then with the kodiak, I can use my body to easily toss that around at speed of I need to, where I can't as easily with the bigger grizzly

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You wouldn't like my Grizzly. My handle bars are tilted 2" more forward! To date everyone (men / women) have all commented how amazingly comfortable my bike feels

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I didn't settle. I tried both. The grizzly seat and bars were uncomfortable. Not a natural feeling. Then the seat height which I never considered, until I threw my leg over the grizzly on the showroom floor and left a big glob of mud across the seat, my foot clears the kodiak seat with ease.
I actually found the foam in the grizzly seat to be more dense and firm, like the replacement foam I used on my old suzuki that I regretted long after. I prefer the softer seat of the kodiak.
The grizzly has much poorer ergonomics, it's tetter suited for someone with long alien like twig arms and legs. Not to mention, it feels way bigger and not quite as nimble in twisty trails as the kodiak, close but not quite. And then with the kodiak, I can use my body to easily toss that around at speed of I need to, where I can't as easily with the bigger grizzly.

See we bought a Grizzly for me and a Kodiak for my wife both 2020 both 700 SE’s once I sat on my Grizzly when I sit on the kodiak it’s much harder in my opinion. The wife purchased that gel pad they sell and it’s a little better. I actually purchased the bar raiser for the Grizzly to be able to bend them down a bit and still have the plastic fit right around the headlight. I’m now changing out the bars completely and swapping my old ones to the kodiak as the wife doesn’t like how low they are when she goes down a hill or the side of the mountain like we did she said it’s like she’s gonna go over the bars.

·
Registered
355 Posts
See we bought a Grizzly for me and a Kodiak for my wife both 2020 both 700 SE’s once I sat on my Grizzly when I sit on the kodiak it’s much harder in my opinion. The wife purchased that gel pad they sell and it’s a little better. I actually purchased the bar raiser for the Grizzly to be able to bend them down a bit and still have the plastic fit right around the headlight. I’m now changing out the bars completely and swapping my old ones to the kodiak as the wife doesn’t like how low they are when she goes down a hill or the side of the mountain like we did she said it’s like she’s gonna go over the bars.
I've never once had the feeling I'm going over the bars.
I couldn't stand the shape of the grizzly bars, I found they force my arms to a wierd angle, age I have broad shoulders. It was instantly an uncomfortable seating position. The bikes on the showroom floor have the bars loose, with a cardboard spacer, allowing you to move them. I didn't know this until sales guy showed me. So I tried playing around with the bars... No luck, the kodiak was more comfortable. We swapped seats around too, but I was set right away with the kodiak seat, I told then if I decided on a grizzly, part of the deal was I get the kodiak seat. Lol

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've never once had the feeling I'm going over the bars.
I couldn't stand the shape of the grizzly bars, I found they force my arms to a wierd angle, age I have broad shoulders. It was instantly an uncomfortable seating position. The bikes on the showroom floor have the bars loose, with a cardboard spacer, allowing you to move them. I didn't know this until sales guy showed me. So I tried playing around with the bars... No luck, the kodiak was more comfortable. We swapped seats around too, but I was set right away with the kodiak seat, I told then if I decided on a grizzly, part of the deal was I get the kodiak seat. Lol

This is sooo interesting, cause I have the polar opposite observations. I can't stand the kodiak bars, seat height etc..... Feel like it's mimicking ergonomics from 15 - 20 years ago. Lol

Can't argu taste....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I really don't think you should go to the heavier utv tire. On a machine that you are already complaining about a harsh ride until Elka install, you are going to install a tire designed for a much heavier machine, with stiffer sidewalls and in a 14" at that where lack of sidewall cushion is already an issue.
Ideally, sell your 14" set up, and get a good set of tires for your oem 12" rims.
You are in Maine, it's pretty much the same trail conditions as New Brunswick, where I grew up, and I still trailer my kodiak back once a year to ride for a week with family and friends.
I'm running 26" reptile radials, they have phenomenal traction in moderate mud, wet rocks, slimmy logs, great on the hard pack trails and in the sand/gravil pits. Here in Ontario, where I live, I have to travel 2km on asphalt from my apartment to the other side of town to hit a trail that takes me out to the bush. These tires work great on asphalt and on the 4km concrete sidewalk I travel on to go to the local store.
Like you, I don't really do mud, unless it's my only option to get through a trail with no way around. I'm out to enjoy the wilderness, not work my ass off getting unstuck. Lol
I believe a good set of 26"x12" radials would be perfect for you, something like my reptiles, or bighorn og, growlers if you can find any. Bearclaw htr.

Anyone else have an opinion on tires and sizes I’m starting to look now and found these. 26x9x12 and 26x11x12

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's exactly what I run, they were the best priced radial I could find. I've been very happy with them so far. Run smooth, great traction in just about anything. Been good on asphalt. Pretty decent in snow. Hard pack trails, loose sand and gravel, age old slimy logs when the bark peels off, they grip really well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So stick with the 12” and sell the 14” rims and 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 are fine? No need to go bigger or wider?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I really do think you would be happier with the 12", they are a nice ride, as protect your rims better.
My bike can't with 25" so I jumped up to 26. At the time of I had of known I was going to do cvt mods I would have bought 27 or 28"
I will probably go up a bit next time.

For you, with stock, 26" work great. 27" wouldn't hurt if you wanted to gain an extra 1/2" ground clearance. They aren't overly heavy tires. The stock bike turned them with ease.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would ditch the 14" as well. Actually Just sold my 2019 SE Zillas on 14" for 600$

Reactions: jasonlewis995

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok I've ordered 27X9X12 and 27X11X12 Interco Reptiles... I called Elka Suspension and I'll have to change my pre-load once I get them on but that's a minor adjustment. Hopefully will have tires by Next week!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
That's exactly what I run, they were the best priced radial I could find. I've been very happy with them so far. Run smooth, great traction in just about anything. Been good on asphalt. Pretty decent in snow. Hard pack trails, loose sand and gravel, age old slimy logs when the bark peels off, they grip really well.

They look like a nice tire, I wonder what the wear life is on them, what are guy's getting for mileage before replacing, I have over 4200miles on my HTR's and are about half wore, no flats or puncture's yet.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Everything I could find on them showed they were wearing well for guys, so I'm hoping they last. I'm putting more asphalt milage on them than I would prefer, but that's my only choice to go to the site or the trail head near my place.
I was looking had at the, the only things that really swayed me was these have about 50% more tread and were a few bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So your saying the Maxxis Big Horn not the 2.0's or 3.0's.

I'll look into the rims as the current rims I purchased are 14" and the tires I have are 27X9X14 and 27X12X14. The reason I went with 14" is due to the dealership recommending them to give more clearance around the brakes and stuff I'm very new to wheeling so it may just be someone taking advantage of me. They also got me to buy Stage 3 Elka Shocks lol I hope that wasn't a mistake either I have yet to put them on but they told me the ride would be night and day. Plus I thought this must be like my Jeep where bigger is always better lol and I ended up with 40" Gumbo's on my jeep.

I appreciate the feedback gives me something to think about I either need to sell the tires and rim combo to someone else and get another set or I need to find a dealership that can balance my tires to see if that may help.
I just put elka stage 3 on the front and stage 4 on the back of my 2019 700 SE. It's like riding a Cadillac now. I would never keep stock socks on a yamaha again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I finally got to pick the wheeler up after 5 weeks it’s fixed and my new tires came in got them mounted and put on.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Add a coat of brown and re-picture :)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts