Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
552 Posts
I can only speak for myself. We ride a lot of powerlines here in Southern Virginia where we have to often cross small creeks, streams, ditches. Driving up out of the crossings often requires diff lock and, at least for me, it would be very convenient to not have to hold my finger on a button while climbing up a wet muddy creek bank. You often must shift your weight and adjust for off camber slopes. Holding your finger on a button complicates this. I have actually been searching the internet about this today and found a simple solution. Just wrap a zip tie around the button. I would prefer a better fix but will at least try this when I get home this afternoon.
What kind of tires are you running?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I run 27" Mud Lite XTRs.
Never used those.
I ask because in western NY, I did that all the time. Out of sheer luck, I found a tire (what I could afford at the time and was in stock) that had me climbing out of creek beds like I have never seen, almost could do it in 2wd, even when that king quad couldn't do it with other tires with the diffs fully locked. You may regret the zip tie thing. I have seen fried electronics twice. I don't understand how, but since it happened to two people I know, it's unlikely to be a coincidence.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I can only speak for myself. We ride a lot of powerlines here in Southern Virginia where we have to often cross small creeks, streams, ditches. Driving up out of the crossings often requires diff lock and, at least for me, it would be very convenient to not have to hold my finger on a button while climbing up a wet muddy creek bank. You often must shift your weight and adjust for off camber slopes. Holding your finger on a button complicates this. I have actually been searching the internet about this today and found a simple solution. Just wrap a zip tie around the button. I would prefer a better fix but will at least try this when I get home this afternoon.
One more thing. Just the way I would do it, because you do a half way decent reason for wanting to do this, don't use a zip tie. Take the time to rewire. Bypass the override button and mount a toggle switch. Just brainstorming, imagine if your zip tie slipped off during a climb. The limiter would kick in and something bad will happen.

I think I used to know, but can't recall right now if the override switch "opens" or "closes" a connection. I'll have to dig out my schematics.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts