Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2020 Grizzly Long Term review

26K views 126 replies 20 participants last post by  Vincenthdfan 
#1 ·
I’m back! Today I picked up a 2020 Grizzly. I’ve previously owned a 2016 and 2018 Grizzly. I went to a 2018 Can-Am Renegade 1000R XXC. I put 6650 miles on it in 15 months. There’s not much life left in the chassis. The power steering needs replaced. I should have written a review on it but didn’t. I spent over 10k in maintenance for the XXC. It’s amazingly fast and frequently makes my heart race. Simply put, I can’t afford to ride it that much. I wanted a reliable machine for trips and I think the Grizzly will suit me there. I’ll will Be honest and take you with me on the journey of modifications and fun. The 686 motor already feels under powered but that fire breathing 1000 has me spoiled. I’m a former XC racer with over 300 races under my belt. I’ve done a couple Motocross races but long distance jumping is not my strong point. I paid $11,300 out the door for my Grizzly today. I do not buy extended warranties because my riding style tend to void all warranties. Lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see you back, looking forward to your reviews, you do a great job.

Reactions: Zrt1200
#3 ·
Glad your back to a more reliable machine. 10K in repairs in 18 months on the Can-am. Wow. Sounds like they put the big engine in a chassis that was built for a 450. I don't know if the 2020 Grizzly has a screw on dipstick or not but some of us use the screw tightening boat plugs in the dipstick tube so it don't get pulled out. I personally I use a a couple of Zip ties so it don't get pulled out. So what's on the Mod list for the Grizzly?? Machined sheave, Tires, Fuel controller, Intake with Uni filter & Slip on??

#4 ·
Congrats and enjoy the new Grizzly!

#6 ·
Welcome back, it'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts.:)

#7 · (Edited)
So the canned ham cost you 10 grand over 15 months for parts and still needs a new frame and steering unit, so its 2 dollars a mile in depreciation plus wear and tear. Then you wrote like it wasn't all that reliable?
For those considering one later they now have info before the purchase.
Keep us posted.....

Reactions: Zrt1200
#9 ·
The maiden voyage for the Grizzly was in Michigan. We rode trails near Houghton Lake. 138 miles of Michigan sand whoops. The Grizzly shines on those 50” trails. After getting towed out of a mud hole the front brake lever went dead. I squeezed it several times and got pressure back. No problems after that. Other than attaching a RAM mount to hold my tablet the bike is completely stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
That looks like the Leota trailhead. We ride out of there a lot. You need to watch out for sawed off stumps at the edge of the trail there. They are about 4" high and right on the edge where the grass is growing. I take you did not get the note that Michigan had a lot of flooding recently. Nice job breaking the Grizzly in!!

Reactions: reogem
#12 ·
Must be a Michigan thing. We rode UP there last year. Some areas had those treacherous stumps. Flip one of our riders. He had a leg pinned under the rear tire.

#11 ·
Out 27" O.G.'s on it and some shim, oh.....and a winch so you can pull yourself.

#14 ·
So right up front the Grizzly isn’t scary fast like the 90hp Renegade. The power is adequate and comfortable. I was quickly reminded of how much better the Grizzly power steering is than the Renegade. The Renegade has 3 settings for the steering and you can’t tell it has power steering on any of them. The suspension was fine in the soft sand. My arms never tired.
Once back in Ohio my 14 yr old daughter fell in love with it. We sold her 2015 Arctic Cat 300 and bought another Grizzly. Lol, Grizzlys are fantastic machines.

#15 ·
I added fuelpax to the front racks. I mounted a Fat Max box to my rear rack. Changed engine oil on the white one.
Today I’ll be changing engine oil on the silver one and all 4 diffs.
Yesterday my daughter and I were on a hill when our group stopped for an intersection. She grabbed the rear brake lever and stepped on the foot brake. She had no brake pressure. She rolled about 8’ backwards and slammed into my quad. I had the no brake problem in Michigan two weeks ago. I figured it was air in the line. I’m wondering if there is an issue.

We had a good ride in WV. We love theses Grizzlys

#21 ·
Had the originals on my first '08. The 3rd gen that's on there now are the same 6 ply but tread pattern is a bit different. No big deal. Had them up some gnarly Rocky Mountain steep, shale rock, solid rock climbs in the last couple of weeks. Just as happy with performance on these as on the originals. BTW, sold my first '08 to my brother. Those tires are still on it and in great shape.

#28 ·
As expected, my local Yamaha Dealer needs 3 weeks to look at my Grizzly. We all know once I drop it off for the warranty repair it takes 1-2 weeks to get it back. Rocky Mtn ATV has the seal on hand for $7. Order placed and disassembly is almost complete. I unbolted the R/S lower A-arm and the 3 Diff bolts. Slide the Diff fed in the frame and unhooked the front drive shaft. Note to self, the end with the spring was towards the engine. I have 721 miles so far. Front brake pads are low rear brake pads are like new. Both inboard front brake pads are worn a bunch more than the outboard pads. I recall this being a consistent issue with previous year models also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.