Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t bought a new quad in 14 months. I’m getting the itch. I had a 2016 and a 2018 Grizzly. Both had 708cc. I opted for the Renegade 1000 for 2019. It’s been an incredible ride but at enormous expense. $9000 in repairs last year. I’m considering going back to Grizzly but the smaller engine makes me think I’ll be unhappy. The 708 wasn’t much and knowing the 686 is smaller is making me squeamish. How are the 2020’s holding up? I ride approx 5,000 miles a year. I’ve put 6300 miles on the Renegade in 2019.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I haven’t bought a new quad in 14 months. I’m getting the itch. I had a 2016 and a 2018 Grizzly. Both had 708cc. I opted for the Renegade 1000 for 2019. It’s been an incredible ride but at enormous expense. $9000 in repairs last year. I’m considering going back to Grizzly but the smaller engine makes me think I’ll be unhappy. The 708 wasn’t much and knowing the 686 is smaller is making me squeamish. How are the 2020’s holding up? I ride approx 5,000 miles a year. I’ve put 6300 miles on the Renegade in 2019.
Thanks in advance.

Oh my goodness! $9000 is nearly a new CanAm (not the Renegade but wow). What happened?

I have a 18 Griz so I can't speak to the smaller displacement, sorry. But from all the reviews, people doesn't seem to notice as they have tuned it better (possibly clutch work, can't remember) so it feels snappier than the pre 2016 motors. But I went right from the 421cc to the 708cc.

Reactions: Bearsixty7

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can be a bit hard on stuff. I broke the frame on my 2016 Grizzly. Jumping utility quads can be a bit hard on them. The Renegade ate two rear ends and drive shafts. Belts, clutches, axles, steering components, spark plugs, two sets of Bighorns, brake pads and fluids oh my. I’m an all star at destroying things at high speed.
Exhibit A:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can be a bit hard on stuff. I broke the frame on my 2016 Grizzly. Jumping utility quads can be a bit hard on them. The Renegade ate two rear ends and drive shafts. Belts, clutches, axles, steering components, spark plugs, two sets of Bighorns, brake pads and fluids oh my. I’m an all star at destroying things at high speed.
Exhibit A:

Thanks rough to cough up on such a new Renegade. But bet it was fun!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was never nice to the Grizzlys either. I ride with sport quads and dirt bikes. This video has me jumping 4-5’ deep cuts in the trail for drainage. This was the 2016 708cc Grizzly chasing a pair of 450 sport quads.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
558 Posts
I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 with the 708. I took a new 2020 Grizzly for a test ride and there really was no difference. To my knowledge the new 686 puts out the same amount of horsepower as the 708.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 686 is a couple of hp up from the 708, and the 2019 - 2020 have a 6% gear reduction from the factory.

I had an 2018 Kodiak 700 with 18g grizzly clutchweights before my 2019 Grizzly, and the grizzly is defently more snappy with more midrange.

I ride hardcore rocky trialriding, and thinking about clutchmods with my CST Stag 26,4" tires.

With in 100H I have changed the swaybarbussings, and the shifter linkage.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a 16 grizzly non eps and recently bought a 19 special edition model. The 19 model seems dead compared to the 16. It's so bad I went back to base model tires and wheels to save some weight. The zillas weigh a ton. I almost wish I would have went with a can am. I'm still in the break in procedure so I'll know more in a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 16 grizzly non eps and recently bought a 19 special edition model. The 19 model seems dead compared to the 16. It's so bad I went back to base model tires and wheels to save some weight. The zillas weigh a ton. I almost wish I would have went with a can am. I'm still in the break in procedure so I'll know more in a couple hundred miles.
Wow! That’s disappointing to hear. The adds and even a few posted that the 686 has the same or more torque. That’s a huge bummer. Have you done any modifications?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well Cornfed, the way you ride I wouldnt buy anything but a renegade 1000 or Scrambler 1000S. And just be willing to pay to play, the way you ride you will not be happy with anything less than 80HP. Racing against sport quads and OHM's that are much lighter and more nimble = need more HP, more HP = break more stuff.

The real world power on the Grizzly from 2016 to today hasnt really changed enough to really matter. Any 850 or lager twin will walk away from you. Just being honest, I have ridden a handful of 850's and 1000's and getting on the 700 just feels slow. On the flip side for technical riding, climbing, rock crawling I would take the Grizzly any day. With the Ultramatic CVT and dual indpendent front/rear brakes and diff lock it shines there.

To be honest some of your night riding videos over the years, if I rode like that I would probably end up with $20K in medical bills.

Now I will say with Elka Stage 4's on the grizz, some CVT work and so on I can keep up with about anyone in the twisty sections where I can use the nimbleness and control to my advantage, but once you hit the open straights the big guns will walk away. Many times where I have had guys wonder how the hell I catch them so quickly in the trees and running in the rough especially when they know I cant keep up on the straight sections.

Reactions: cornfedinohio

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the '19 SE and I think its trade offs me and buddies swap rides his 1000 xmr outlander and mine and a 2016 700 grizzly. Getting off his 1000 to mine is a pretty large difference. I love the twin power but he likes the grizzly weight and maneuverability. Granted his is the extended frame. It's not a complete turd and I dont regret buying it but I ride mudhole to mudhole not much high speed trails. I'm snorkeled and when I get up to top of the fenders I wish it had more torque for water but once I do a shim I think itll be fine. If your looking for seat of your pants speed probably stick with the 1000. Overall great quad.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buying another Renegade doesn’t scare me as much as all the cash I spent keeping this one on the trail. I already know I’ll need $900.00 every 2800 miles for a new rear end and driveshaft.
I had a few problems with my Grizzlys but mostly small leaks. I love the confidence of the wet clutch and belt combo. I’ve had great luck with belts on the Renegade but I also changed them more often than required to keep ahead of it.
I blew a belt after three days of riding in Michigan sand. I was at WOT. 80mph on a sandy logging road. It put a hole in my belt cover. That belt had a total of 800 miles on it. One belt in 6400 miles doesn’t sound bad but I also put 4 other belts on as PM.
I never once worried about a Grizzly belt. That matters to me on my long distance trips and rides.
I’m going back to Ontario Canada in 2020. I’m afraid to be out in the CA bush with my Can Am. I feel like the belt is a ticking time bomb. I even upgraded to a CVTech clutch to extend the belt life.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Buying another Renegade doesn’t scare me as much as all the cash I spent keeping this one on the trail. I already know I’ll need $900.00 every 2800 miles for a new rear end and driveshaft.
I had a few problems with my Grizzlys but mostly small leaks. I love the confidence of the wet clutch and belt combo. I’ve had great luck with belts on the Renegade but I also changed them more often than required to keep ahead of it.
I blew a belt after three days of riding in Michigan sand. I was at WOT. 80mph on a sandy logging road. It put a hole in my belt cover. That belt had a total of 800 miles on it. One belt in 6400 miles doesn’t sound bad but I also put 4 other belts on as PM.
I never once worried about a Grizzly belt. That matters to me on my long distance trips and rides.
I’m going back to Ontario Canada in 2020. I’m afraid to be out in the CA bush with my Can Am. I feel like the belt is a ticking time bomb. I even upgraded to a CVTech clutch to extend the belt life.

I agree. I may not have as much horsepower as Polaris or Can-Am but I get back to my truck at the end of the day. Can't say as much for a lot of guys with other brands. #GrizzlyForLife

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Ujoints are rebuildable but the yoke gets grooves from the seal. The slip joint always gets play. There’s none of this nonsense on a Grizzly.
I discovered if I bought an older models driveshaft they put a replaceable sleeve on the yoke. That won’t fix the slop in the slip joint. You are better off buying a $300 Driveshaft to go with the $650 rear diff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You really should consider the king quad 750 this time around, more power than the 686 and pretty much indestructible, also way more refined than the grizz in every way.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts