Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2020 purchase and I have a few?

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  GEARSLAYER 
#1 ·
Hi everybody I'm new to the sight And have a few question about the operation of the grizzly? Last Friday I purchased a 2020 tactcial green. Few things I notice and I'm not sure if it's all normal operation or not. Does it take sometime for the front and rear breaks to lockup? My back will somewhat lock up but the fronts won't at all? I noticed when you do a cold start you have to hit the button twice as the first time it kicks over but won't stay running. After motor warm this is not a problem. Last question, my tach does not show 1,2 mph. As you start to drive it go from zero rite to 3mph. When you slowly come to a stop it will stop at 3mph and go rite to zero even if you slowly moving. I appreciate anybody that can help me out.

#2 ·
I have a 2018 and although a different engine then the 2020 model during the first 200 miles break in there were problems with it staying running and starting. After the 200 miles it's been butter ed. So that portion of it when you start up could be a break-in issue? Regarding the other issues I have not noticed the speedometer portion because I drive 100 miles per hour, not 1 or 2 (kidding, kidding LOL).The brake issue seems a little bit odd. On my 2018 it is very progressive and very confidence inspiring. I frankly very rarely try to lock them up but do sometimes only in emergency situations. It might be worth having the dealer take a look at the brakes as well. Although maybe wait through the break in. Because brakes have to wear in as well. On a four-wheeler it can take a little bit of time to wear in brakes because the Griz engine breaking is so great we don't have to hit the brakes super hard all the time.

#3 ·
If the 2020's are any thing like the 16's - 19's you need a fuel controller to add fuel in the lower 1/2 of throttle opening as they all run stupid lean to pass emissions. Look up EHS Racing on YouTube to get a idea on just how lean these engine come from the factory. Here is a link to the fuel controller you need...

Grizzly 700 EFI Controller 2019 +Newer

#4 ·
My 19' Kodiak 700 (same 686 engine/computer) almost always needed a second attempt on a cold start for most of break in. With 400 miles on it now stays running after the first bump. Never noticed the 0-3mph on mine, never really looked either. I have different rear brake system but my Front brakes did concern me until I got a few rides in on it. It took A LOT of effort to "lock them up" at first but they have gotten noticeably better but still no where near as good as my Rancher 420 which is easy to stop with only 2 fingers.

#7 ·
Just to verify, I checked my Kodiak yesterday and it doesn't register speed until 3mph either, It's dang hard to make it go that slow LoL!

Reactions: Stargate
#8 ·
FYI...Tried mine this evening, speedo shows either 0 or 3 km, there is no 1or 2 km on mine either, starts reading at 3km on the speedo, must be way they are mapped.

#10 ·
The older 700's were lean too.

I always liked grabbing a handful of front brake while gassing it with a flick of the hip when over shooting a corner (or having one sneak up on me). You also have to stand up and transfer your weight over the front end more too. Works like a charm and I did it a lot.

With all that said, I'd opt for the Kodiak 700 SE due to the narrower front end which makes it much more agile like the 15 and back Grizzly 700's. But then, I'd be running 25" tires too. That's just me though. Point and shoot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.