Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question I have is, the 12 volt outlet is that suppose to only work when Key is on? Reason I am asking I am Doing a Viper Midnight winch install , and before I sure everything up , I tried sticking my Red wire to Rocker switch into the 12 volt to test it and Winch worked even when Key was not turned on and Red wire from Rocker switch is in the 12v outlet. When I pull the wire out winch from rocker switch does not work , as expected of course.

I always thought the 12 V outlet was suppose to work only when key was on, now I am not so sure... Any Thoughts? Maybe I am just not thinking of something ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlie

·
Registered
16 Posts
12v accessory outlet should only have power with key on. Confirmed on my 2021.

I can't think of a reason why you would have power all the time.. check and recheck what you did.

Good idea checking the wiring before finalizing though. I ended up wiring my switch backward, in goes out and out goes in. Ah well.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I can't think of a reason why you would have power all the time.. check and recheck what you did.

Good idea checking the wiring before finalizing though. I ended up wiring my switch backward, in goes out and out goes in. Ah well.

More info I thought I pass along , looks like it is not an issue with 12V Accessory outlet , appears to be Contactor or the Rocker switch .... Bummer as I thought this winches came well recommended , I have a email into Manf. to see if I should return entire winch or if they will send new parts....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info I thought I pass along , looks like it is not an issue with 12V Accessory outlet , appears to be Contactor or the Rocker switch .... Bummer as I thought this winches came well recommended , I have a email into Manf. to see if I should return entire winch or if they will send new parts....
More info. after two attempts to get me replacement parts , I was able to complete the install and winch is working as expected. Also what I would recommend is Yamaha Part : KM-86171-00-00 WIRE, LEAD 1 this will allow you to install with power to 12v outlet without splicing the wiring , works great super easy to install it. don't understand why I have not seen more folks using this, it is a cheap part direct from Yamaha great for install of winches when you want to tie into 12v outlet wiring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is this part just for the low draw 12v for the winch switch? Where does it plug into?
Yes, it takes power from the accessory plug. No splicing for winch rocker switch or whatever else you need key on power for.

My21 came with this. In the bag with the manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine didn’t come with it. But I’ll order it. Where is the plug it connects to? In the front compartment I’m sure, where the batter is. But once the top is off then where?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the left side (if your standing infront of the machine). Look in the wheel well and follow the wire coming from accessory.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,112 Posts
I ended up wiring my switch backward, in goes out and out goes in. Ah well.
On a Warn winch, all that needs to be done is to reverse the two wires out of the winch switch that go to the winch if you indeed did wire it wrong. However, Warn uses a male connector on one lead and female on the other lead coming from the winch switch so they can't get swapped. Are you sure you just didn't wind your winch line in the wrong direction?

Reactions: loudmelon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a KFI winch.

And your right, it was wound improperly.. I don't know if I did that or it came like that though. I started questioning it when I had the line out to dry.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly SE, 2018 Kodiak 700 SE
143 Posts

Just start your cable on the drum so that is works with you switch if you don’t want to require it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this part just for the low draw 12v for the winch switch? Where does it plug into?
I will try to take a short video or some pics this weekend for you. But you will see that it will plug right into the existing wiring from cig. outlet . works Great...Love the fact that I did not have to cut into any existing wiring ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts