Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ! I just purchased a 2021 Grizzly 700 and I’ve been reading the 2014+ models seem to run dangerously lean and was wondering if it’s the same with the 2021s ? I’d like to keep my machine running reliably for a long time and I am questioning if a fuel controller would be helpful towards that?

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
It will by adding more fuel.

Reactions: Travis 2021 Grizzly

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hey all ! I just purchased a 2021 Grizzly 700 and I’ve been reading the 2014+ models seem to run dangerously lean and was wondering if it’s the same with the 2021s ? I’d like to keep my machine running reliably for a long time and I am questioning if a fuel controller would be helpful towards that?
If you are keeping the intake and exhaust system stock, a tuner is not required

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
I plan on just using a UNI filter over the stock intake and keeping the stock exhaust .
The uni will not cause any issues.
From my experience with the 708's. The lean myth is fear mongering marketing. How many engine failures can anyone find documented to a lean burn out? I know of none.
Traded my 708 at 15000 miles never a sign of running lean. My Queen has 16500 miles on her 708 no sign of lean burn.
My 19 700 has around 7k miles with no sign of lean running.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still might try one, EHS seems like a good brand. From what I can tell is for it to pass emissions they have to make them run lean, I’d rather run a cooler temp on the engine as well as not being so lean. You could be right in terms of it’s just a marketing scam.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I still might try one, EHS seems like a good brand. From what I can tell is for it to pass emissions they have to make them run lean, I’d rather run a cooler temp on the engine as well as not being so lean. You could be right in terms of it’s just a marketing scam.
I ( like you) jumped on the ehs tuner too lean from factory band waggon. I paid 300$ Canadian for the tuner... I ran the tuner on and off threw many many scenarios and not once could I tell any difference between stock and tuner.... I felt it was a waste of money....

Since then I have gutted and modified my exhaust tip / spark arrester assembly and run the tuner on low setting. I do appreciate the extra protection it brings with such modifications

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks appreciate your input ! I don’t feel like wasting money on the tune but I’ve been looking at the 2R Racing billet tip for just a bit of grumble only worry I have with that Is melting the plastic on the rear fender and the air fuel mixture getting messed up so figured the EHS tuner would help prevent a lean running engine from factory and if later on I decide to do something with the exhaust it shouldn’t be an issue.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The uni will not cause any issues.
From my experience with the 708's. The lean myth is fear mongering marketing. How many engine failures can anyone find documented to a lean burn out? I know of none.
Traded my 708 at 15000 miles never a sign of running lean. My Queen has 16500 miles on her 708 no sign of lean burn.
My 19 700 has around 7k miles with no sign of lean running.
It's not a myth, nor is it fear mongering. It's aproven fact that they ruin on the very lean side. They aren't so lean as to burn out, but that has happened after exhaust and intake mods. On both GC and KO, there are posts about burnt valves after running with mods and no fuel tuner. Running stock, no, you will probably never burn up an engine due to lean a/f ratio, hense the 20 year warranty, they wouldn't offer that if there was a chance to burn it up.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
It's not a myth, nor is it fear mongering. It's aproven fact that they ruin on the very lean side. They aren't so lean as to burn out, but that has happened after exhaust and intake mods. On both GC and KO, there are posts about burnt valves after running with mods and no fuel tuner. Running stock, no, you will probably never burn up an engine due to lean a/f ratio, hense the 20 year warranty, they wouldn't offer that if there was a chance to burn it up.

Citations?
You like everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The 20 year warranty is a hook for selling Yamaha oil/filters.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Citations?
You like everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The 20 year warranty is a hook for selling Yamaha oil/filters.
Oh i agree, that is definitely a sales scheme for yamalube products more than anything, but you know the bean counters have calculated out the chances of a blown engine vs payout costs.... Got to have a good running piece of equipment to keep thier numbers in the black ink on that deal.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
Thanks appreciate your input ! I don’t feel like wasting money on the tune but I’ve been looking at the 2R Racing billet tip for just a bit of grumble only worry I have with that Is melting the plastic on the rear fender and the air fuel mixture getting messed up so figured the EHS tuner would help prevent a lean running engine from factory and if later on I decide to do something with the exhaust it shouldn’t be an issue.
Check out the tips whiskey bent metal worx makes. I have one on my machine and it sounds good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2021 Grizzly and a 2021 kodiak, both 686s. I read all the hype, watched all of EHS videos. I ordered his tuners right away. Rode 4wheelers for 2 weeks stock no problem. Put on the tuners and both quads immediately turned into dogs. Tried leaning down but still dogs. Took off tuners and pulled plugs both were sooty. They both ran just like our 2019s as far as temperature and fan cycling, both ripped stock. A waste of money 💰. If you want a tuner you need to go all out and get one that can monitor your AF mixture and those systems ain't cheap. Just ride ot, take care of it and it will last forever. Don't put on a tip it will just drive you nuts and not give any more performance. If you want a pipe get a HMF titan QS.... Enjoy your grizzly the 2019s up rip !

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
@SuperDave 2021
I run 87octane with corn.
I always check/ed out and changed sparkplugs once a year on both 708's and now my 2019 700. Only found one sooty on my Queens 708 at 14000 miles only because it needed the valves adjusted and was hard to started when cold out. Never found a plug torched. I change oil about every 1500 miles never black or burnt smelling.
I always have the temperate gauge up on the pod of my 19. Machine seems to run on the cold side. Last ride 90°+ outside chugging along the trails temp ran around 195°, stopped 206°, Running around 25-30mph 185-190°.
No stalling, no high RPM's, no burnt leg or plastic. If that is lean I like it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@SuperDave 2021
I run 87octane with corn.
I always check/ed out and changed sparkplugs once a year on both 708's and now my 2019 700. Only found one sooty on my Queens 708 at 14000 miles only because it needed the valves adjusted and was hard to started when cold out. Never found a plug torched. I change oil about every 1500 miles never black or burnt smelling.
I always have the temperate gauge up on the pod of my 19. Machine seems to run on the cold side. Last ride 90°+ outside chugging along the trails temp ran around 195°, stopped 206°, Running around 25-30mph 185-190°.
No stalling, no high RPM's, no burnt leg or plastic. If that is lean I like it.
Yes I agree with everything you said. My 2019 kodiak never ran hotter than normal and I'm in Oklahoma so it gets very hot in summer. It never backfired or anything weird. Now with new 2021 grizzly and wives kodiak 700 both run perfect, have as much pep as a sane person would need. My grizzly will pull the front tires any time you want and sometimes when you don't have want...lol. I think these quads run spot on and I'm sure Yamaha knows what they're doing. My wife moved up from a 2019 kodiak 450 to a 2021 and she loves the power difference. We run 91 no ethanol gas and use Yamaha oils and lubes. She runs 25 Zillas on stock alloy wheels and I run 26s zillas on ITP 212s 12 inch rims. Don't plan on changing anything just ride and enjoy 😉

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yes it is a MYTH, YES it is fear mongering. They may run lean, but not dangerously lean. No probs on my 708 and i beat the tar out of it.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
I have a 2021 Grizzly and a 2021 kodiak, both 686s. I read all the hype, watched all of EHS videos. I ordered his tuners right away. Rode 4wheelers for 2 weeks stock no problem. Put on the tuners and both quads immediately turned into dogs. Tried leaning down but still dogs. Took off tuners and pulled plugs both were sooty. They both ran just like our 2019s as far as temperature and fan cycling, both ripped stock. A waste of money 💰. If you want a tuner you need to go all out and get one that can monitor your AF mixture and those systems ain't cheap. Just ride ot, take care of it and it will last forever. Don't put on a tip it will just drive you nuts and not give any more performance. If you want a pipe get a HMF titan QS.... Enjoy your grizzly the 2019s up rip !

... except a tip and a tuner WILL provide a performance increase..

Personally, exhaust modifications are a must. I want to be riding something that sounds like it's powered by an ICE... not a queef lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts