Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2021 Grizzly 700 SE and came out of the trails the other day and rode around my block to get mud off tires etc. About half way down the block i would push the throttle and nothing would happen. Then eventually pushing the throttle caused it to stall out and stop running. She would not start up after that and luckily enough it was not a far push home. Once I got it home I noticed the fuel pump not priming when turning the key and yes also making sure the switch is turned on ;) . Anyway, long story short as that was over 2 weeks ago and I am still at it. I bought a new pump as I thought this was a quick fix and that did not work. I got a new fuel pump relay and that did not work. Now when I test all of the wires that connect to the relay there is only 1 wire that I am not getting any power and I suspect this is the issue, I just don't know why or how to fix it. The Red/Blue wire coming from the relay should have power when key is turned on. This does not happen. The brown/black wire does have continuous power even with the key off. Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to why the red/blue wire is not getting any power, even when its checked within 2 seconds of tuning the key? Really hope the ECU is not the issue as she is only 1 year old. I do not do heavy mudding or riding in deep water except a few descent puddles here and there. Any help is greatly appreciated. I live right by the trail and its killing me here the quads and dirt bikes riding all day on these beautiful days. Taking to a shop will have me without a quad for at least a month. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw if I bypass the relay the fuel pump will run and the quad will start. But obviously that's not the right way to be up and running. Please help!

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,399 Posts
There have been mentions on here of Yamaha having issued a TSB for failed fuel pumps on some of the newer 686cc ATVs. Just thought I'd mention that although that doesn't seem to be the issue.

What you've done so far seems pretty thorough. Do you by chance park your machine outside or where mice/squirrels could have chewed some wires? I do not specifically know those wires and what voltage should be on what wires but are you sure the red/blue should have power based on the way you tested it? You sound knowledgeable so assuming you understand how relays work as they are just a simple "switch" of sorts, allowing voltage/current to flow once one of the other pins is energized or grounded.

Reactions: skiso55

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There have been mentions on here of Yamaha having issued a TSB for failed fuel pumps on some of the newer 686cc ATVs. Just thought I'd mention that although that doesn't seem to be the issue.

What you've done so far seems pretty thorough. Do you by chance park your machine outside or where mice/squirrels could have chewed some wires? I do not specifically know those wires and what voltage should be on what wires but are you sure the red/blue should have power based on the way you tested it? You sound knowledgeable so assuming you understand how relays work as they are just a simple "switch" of sorts, allowing voltage/current to flow once one of the other pins is energized or grounded.
Garage kept. I have been reading the forum for a couple weeks now based on other posts and suggestions which is why I may sound somewhat knowledgeable lol. Figured I'd post my own issue since I'm at a loss at this point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the new fuel pump or relay didn't fix it and jumping the relay does, what are the odds of a bad connection where the relay plugs in, maybe one of those spade connectors under where the relay plugs in is loose? Just trying to help.
I took the relay wires out of the housing so I could inspect them. The spade connectors seem fine as I tested them with the spade connectors on but also on the red/blue wire that doesn't work I made sure to test the actual wire which is showing at the bottom of the connector. No power with key on or off. I'm pretty sure it should have power based on similar posts. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, where does the red/blue wire start and end up at? Maybe cut somewhere along the way? Any way you can put an Ohm meter across the 2 ends with no power to be sure?
I'm not sure exactly where it starts and ends. Based on my research I believe it starts at the ECU and ends at the FI system but not entirely sure. I have inspected the wire to best of my ability. The electrical tape/wire protection is completely in tact and can't find any visible issues of wire. I will double the ohms. Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulling my hair out on this one. I hate to start ripping up the wiring protection just to find out it's something else. She is only 1 year old so all of this seems kind of bizarre.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,399 Posts
It has not been mentioned, are you sure you're not dealing with a battery issue? I would not trust a voltage check done on a battery, I have in the past and ultimately had a bad battery. Charge the battery. Load testing it would confirm if it is good... but seems unlikely it would be bad at only 1 year old but you never know until it is load tested. Walmart/auto-parts will load test them for free.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Btw if I bypass the relay the fuel pump will run and the quad will start. But obviously that's not the right way to be up and running. Please help!
How exactly are you by-passing the relay?
What is the voltage on the Brown/black wire from the starter solenoid to the FI relay?

Reactions: diverscale

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How exactly are you by-passing the relay?
What is the voltage on the Brown/black wire from the starter solenoid to the FI relay?
Thanks for your reply. I simply use a small wire I had and stuck it in the connectors between the brown/black wire and the Red/blue wire. Now that I have the housing off the relay wires, if I simply touch those same 2 connectors together the fuel pump will engage just as it did with the jumper wire I used. I just double checked the voltage on the brown)black relay which read 12.93?? Guess that's good. The fact she starts right up when I by pass the relay should rule out many other issues but I don't know. Grasping at straws here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has not been mentioned, are you sure you're not dealing with a battery issue? I would not trust a voltage check done on a battery, I have in the past and ultimately had a bad battery. Charge the battery. Load testing it would confirm if it is good... but seems unlikely it would be bad at only 1 year old but you never know until it is load tested. Walmart/auto-parts will load test them for free.
I do keep a maintainer on the battery. It's been fully charged and same issue. Also all my lights work and display comes on nice and bright and the quad actually starts when I bypass the fuel pump relay. Thanks for your reply! Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could it be the lean angle sensor? No idea how to check this but maybe there is a way to bypass is as well? Not sure if this is related but I think it may be.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
499 Posts
I think we all feel your pain being only one year old, by chance have you dumped on its side ( your lean angle sensor question), folks are a lot more technical then me but did read about that valve closing and needing to free up the ball to get the fuel running. I wish you luck on solving this problem...about this time last year my starter went out during an elk hunt and pushing back into the trailer was interesting. J

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think we all feel your pain being only one year old, by chance have you dumped on its side ( your lean angle sensor question), folks are a lot more technical then me but did read about that valve closing and needing to free up the ball to get the fuel running. I wish you luck on solving this problem...about this time last year my starter went out during an elk hunt and pushing back into the trailer was interesting. J
Yeah, I tipped her twice lol. But the last tip was about 6 months ago. Nothing that day at all. Maybe a few hops over some smaller downed trees but never had an issue until this one day. Thanks for your reply!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts