Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am unable to find my service manual at the moment, so bear with me. Also I'm not sure what your electrical skill level is so not trying to offend you. You mentioned a couple times you had checked for resistance, which would be ohms. The figures you gave appeared to be voltage. Resistance and voltage are two separate things, and are measured differently. For a relay to operate you need power and ground, or high and low, depending on how you were taught. With a normal relay, 85 is ground and 86 is positive trigger, and they can be swapped depending on the type of relay. Do you have both ground and positive to trigger the fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I am unable to find my service manual at the moment, so bear with me. Also I'm not sure what your electrical skill level is so not trying to offend you. You mentioned a couple times you had checked for resistance, which would be ohms. The figures you gave appeared to be voltage. Resistance and voltage are two separate things, and are measured differently. For a relay to operate you need power and ground, or high and low, depending on how you were taught. With a normal relay, 85 is ground and 86 is positive trigger, and they can be swapped depending on the type of relay. Do you have both ground and positive to trigger the fuel pump relay?
No offense taken and I appreciate you're reply. I am not very electrical savvy at all. More of a computers guy :). Anyway I will be sure to double check the ohms.
For above, in other words, does the fuel pump relay click when you turn on the key?
No click coming from relay when I turn the key. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Just checked the red/black and blue/red and get 12v coming from both. The only wire I get no reading off of is the red/blue wire which is what needs to be jumped with the brown/black wire in order for the pump to come on. Thank you!
I should have been clearer...I meant to for you to test the continuity of these 2 wires. However if with the relay removed you test the voltage from these two wires to ground will prove their continuity. The R/B should be near 12.0 volts.
The B/R may not have any voltage or as low as 5. If the B/R is zero to ground, test the end to end continuity of that wire.

When you install the jumper wire and DO NOT start the engine does the fuel pump prime then shut off or does it continue to run.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I should have been clearer...I meant to for you to test the continuity of these 2 wires. However if with the relay removed you test the voltage from these two wires to ground will prove their continuity. The R/B should be near 12.0 volts.
The B/R may not have any voltage or as low as 5. If the B/R is zero to ground, test the end to end continuity of that wire.

When you install the jumper wire and DO NOT start the engine does the fuel pump prime then shut off or does it continue to run.
The fuel pump continues to run. Have to pull the wire to make it stop.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
The fuel pump continues to run. Have to pull the wire to make it stop.
That's not good. Could be dangerous.

The B/R wire is the control/feed between the relay the ECU. If the wire is shorted out somewhere or if the pin at the ECU is not making contact could be repaired.
Check that the wire/s going into the relay socket are good.
Really hope you find something here. Next could mean a new ECU.
Good Luck.

Reactions: diverscale
41 - 50 of 50 Posts