Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to purchase one of these, considered the Raptor 90 but like the extra clearance and larger overall size of the Grizzly with racks etc.
My boy is coming from a Susuki 50cc that I had done some mods with and had it running 30mph on hard surface, so I was concerned or curious about speed and power with these if anyone knows? Assuming the extra 30lbs of the Grizzly over the Raptor will slow it down a little. Will remove the CDI limiter for sure but curious of anyones experiences? Thanks for any replies in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I can't help with your question but someone will be along...I wouldn't think there is much difference, does the Yamaha have a throttle position limiting screw?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
I can't help with your question but someone will be along...I wouldn't think there is much difference, does the Yamaha have a throttle position limiting screw?
We just picked it up today and yes it does. It was bouncing off the limiter really bad on the first test ride in the yard. Took my boy all of 5 min to tell me to remove the cdi jumper. That immediately went away, didn't hit the limiter.
When they prep the bike, I noticed he did turn that throttle stop screw in about half way, from when it was setting on the floor. And they just assembled it yesterday, we watched him removing it from the crate...so it must be something they do during prep after it's sold. He was getting 22mph on a hard surface as it is and I know it will easily break 30mph with it backed out.
I left it until he gets used to this larger platform than what he had but I can already tail it will be short-lived. He's at his moms this weekend so I will back it out tomorrow and try it. Its half throttle now and I was already impressed with the torque it has compared to his hopped up 50. This thing hauled me at 230lbs no sweat. So I'm very happy so far, good little bike!
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Colorado.

I bet Colorado has some awesome trails, hope to get out there with my boy soon.
Next week we are going to royal blue and Crimson, 1st time for us there.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 XTR plus coffee holder
28 Posts
My little guy caught the bug very early (my fault) as he got an electric 2 speed with reverse Polaris rzr at the age of two. He is three and a half now and has worn that thing out as I have rebuilt the drives a few times. All 4 seasons he is in it almost daily and keeps him away from the tv. Begs for more time in it as the battery is good for an hour off road and I think he is ready for the next step. Wife is very much on the fence and feels a roll cage is mandatory so she is all about a go kart. I belive I have her sold on a 50cc or 70cc four wheeler and some of the Chinese ones have remote shut off and things but I have been really giving a hard look at the yamaha yfz50. Any input on age and some of the Yamaha youth stuff would be appreciated. I have another even younger boy that would be able to use it when he came of age.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
I bet Colorado has some awesome trails, hope to get out there with my boy soon.
Next week we are going to royal blue and Crimson, 1st time for us there.
Colorado does have nice trails, come on out for a visit.
My little guy caught the bug very early (my fault) as he got an electric 2 speed with reverse Polaris rzr at the age of two. He is three and a half now and has worn that thing out as I have rebuilt the drives a few times. All 4 seasons he is in it almost daily and keeps him away from the tv. Begs for more time in it as the battery is good for an hour off road and I think he is ready for the next step. Wife is very much on the fence and feels a roll cage is mandatory so she is all about a go kart. I belive I have her sold on a 50cc or 70cc four wheeler and some of the Chinese ones have remote shut off and things but I have been really giving a hard look at the yamaha yfz50. Any input on age and some of the Yamaha youth stuff would be appreciated. I have another even younger boy that would be able to use it when he came of age.
As for youth rides, that is your call depending on if he can sit it without problems. Sounds like he is going to need a few scuffs to learn his ability limit, we've all been there.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
88 Posts
Started my 6 yr old out on a 21' Raptor 90. Took to it very well. I had to remove the cdi jumper right away because it was causing it to run bad. He now runs around about 12-15 mph. My 3 yr old daughter just hopped on it figured it out last weekend too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts