Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a deposit down on a 2021xtr and I might be regretting it a little was also looking at polaris 850 premium..what do u guys think of polaris 850 vs grizzly xtr I ride In upstate N.Y mostly trails and dirt roads..I have always owned yamaha have 2002 banshee, and a 2020 yfz 450 se I love yamaha, never owned a 4x4 atv am I making the right choice with the grizzly xtr or being bias and not getting the better machine..

·
Premium Member
2007 grizz 660 camo 2019 honda passport 2001 breeze 125
3,406 Posts
Imo the right choice i am a die hard yamaha guy they are bullet proof.has the banshee or yfz left u broke down or let u down in anyway?the power is not as good from a grizz compared toa twin but realiability the grizz will take good care of ya. I dont need speed i wanna know at the end of the day i am not gunna get towwd out of left broken in the back 40. But i am a bit pro yamaha and my 14 yr old grizz has never let me down

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never had any problems with either just wondering if I'm gona miss out on the horsepower or I'm just looking too much into it..

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Its a 50 50 answer i like speed but qhere i ride i cant get goin that fast unless on a road or powerline

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used to have an 850 and we have 3 grizzly 700’s in our group (and I’m going to get one for my kid). The Polaris is faster and will ride and handle better by a good bit. Especially if you like to go fast. Power wheelies are fun on the Polaris (and really fun on a 1000) and much harder to do on a grizzly. Because it’s an online twin, the spacing between your feet is narrow and feels slim on the Polaris. Polaris are bigger and heavier and at low speeds can feel not as nimble as a grizzly.

There is no comparison regarding durability. Polaris eats bushings and bearings and I had several recalls on my rzr when I had it that got really old really fast. Grizzly LS are tough as nails...all of ours in our group have been through a lot (sometimes upside down) and they usually make it back to camp.

I’m getting my kid a grizzly 700 because of the durability and belt life...I don’t want to have to work on it all the time....plus, he isn’t ready for the power of an 850 yet. Good luck whichever way u go and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 XTR plus coffee holder
28 Posts
I am near Osceola, WI (Polaris Factory) and of course border Minnesota (Polaris headquarters and manufactured) so I am in thick Polaris country. They ride nice and have big hp but fit, finish, and durability is not there. We just refer to them as broken down spaceships around here on the trails. Regret generally comes within the first year of owning one unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
You can't used big h.p. in the tough stuff, and the grizz has plenty of torque. If you line up the two machines for a drag race on smooth ground (a dirt road) the twin doesn't get that much further ahead from zero to 40 m.p.h.
And if all you do is drag race then an a.t.v. is not the right machine.

Reactions: Rehoboth Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ride with a bunch of Polaris owners and they break down all the time. Belts, bearings, A arms, axles, you name it, practically every time we go riding one of them needs a tow back to camp for something. I'm usually doing the towing with my old Y2K Grizzly 600.

So after 21 years of faithful and reliable service I'm retiring the 600 up to the camp and getting a brand new one. It's toughness and reliability is why I am going with a new Grizzy over the Polaris. My only question at this point is whether the XT-R's extra grand and a month extra wait is worth a factory installed winch, tires and a nicer color.

As for the color in particular I was talking about that very issue with my dealer this morning. Neither of us could understand Yamahas thinking either but he said that all grizzly models share the same body style. Making your grey or orange Grizzy green will cost a few hundred bucks for the appropriate replacement but it's more doable than one might have guessed. Another option is to have it wrapped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really debated on whether or not the XTR was worth the extra money as well. The color scheme with mountain graphics is actually what lured me to it in the first place but was going to settle on camo. I like the burnt bronze rims and they look easy to clean unlike many other styles out there. I have had terrible luck with Warn winches (on CAN AM's) in the cold here in Northern WI so another reason I started to veer away from it. Hate the Zillas as I have had them in the past. A $700 difference between Camo and XTR but I opted for the XTR because of the small gap in price. I do enjoy 14" rims over 12" and it sounds like the Warn winch installed is reliable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awesome picture. Congrats on the XTR arriving. I finally recieved mine as well and after owning Can Ams for the last 12 plus years and a Polaris and a Kawasaki along the way I am happy with the Grizzly. Fit and finish is excellent and I am happy with the power. Of all the brands and models of utv and atv I have owned I can say this machine has the best power steering and smoothest transmission I have used.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
So FoxbytheRiver I noticed that you hate the Zilla's that came on it. I also noticed that RehobothDaves Big Horns on the other rig. So what are you going to replace those Zilla's with? I'm in the same boat as you are with my 2021 SE (14" rims). I'm not fond at all of the Zilla's after a 100+ miles on it. I'm on the fence between the 26X9x14 Big Horns and the Pitbull Uber XOR's. Thoughts?
Reogem-thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I replaced mine immediately with a set of 27x9x14 Sedona Buck Snorts. When I first saw them I thought they were pretty gimmicky however it was very close to the pattern and radial tire I was in search of. They were close to a maxxis carnivore pattern which I was after but I have heard the carnivores wear fast.The buck snorts are a radial 6ply and the 9 inch skinny all the way around work great and look good so far for the little bit of miles I have on them. The only thing they are lacking is a better rim guard. Atv.com did a little article on them I supplied below on a 2019 grizzly if you want an idea of what they look like. I'll try and get some pics up tonight of mine. I also found that all 4 rims are the same size (14x8) and offset on the XTR made by Vision Wheel. I have ran about 30 different sets of tires over the years from pure mud to light truck tires on my atvs and utvs but these days I wanted something that does not tear up my yard, works well on asphalt and hard pack trails, light mud, and snowy trails and lakes. Hard to get all that in a tire but I am going to run these out and see.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
What kinda tires r dem

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Nvm

·
Registered