Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2021 grizzly

13K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  07grizzlyy686 
#1 ·
Does anyone think we'll see a twin cylinder next year. Just throwing it out there.

#4 ·
I guess I'm a stick in the mud... my Grizz has more than enough power for me. If you offered to put a twin-cylinder in mine, I'd turn it down, I wouldn't care to make the machine even heavier for extra power I wouldn't really make use of.

#10 ·
I think it would be neat to see an 850 twin Grizzly and then keep the Kodiak a 700 single. But I'm not going to hold my breath on a big bore Grizz. Yamaha assembles ATV's in the US, I don't think they're restricted on engine size. I know Georgia has an assembly plant. I believe Yamaha has chosen to stay out of the big bore category because they so heavily value agility, durability and reliability in their atvs. I also believe thats why they abandoned the 708 engine after 3 years. The 708 didn't have the same level of reliability that customers were accustomed to from Yamaha.

#11 ·
Please come up with a reason No, Japanese manufacturers. Produce ATVs larger than 750 . Also no two up models. . There's a strong reason for that. In the late 80s when they outlawed 3 wheelers The Japanese manufacturers were dominant. Arctic Cat Polaris and Bombardier Were making snow machines.

#12 ·
It could be market share? A majority of the ATV's sold are 500-700 class machines. China ATV companies build 2 up and big bore atvs, CF moto is the brand. So I'm not sure why the Japanese brands don't make big bore atvs or 2 uppers. All the Japanese manufactures make side by sides that are 900/1000cc class machines.

#13 ·
Back in 88 side by sides weren't even a market segment. That the government was worried about. Like the snowmobile manufacturers of the time previously mentioned. Think about it. If they were allowed to They would. It's an outdated federal law. But it still stands. I searched. For some solid evidence and I found 42 pages of lawyer speak. Wasn't able to make it through that.

#15 ·
It's been mentioned already "agility, durability and reliability" are why I buy Yamaha. If they came out with a twin I would not even buy it.
If you think your Grizzly is slow, find some tight technical terrain and go up against those heavy behemoth twins and see who wins. I don't know where you find trails that go in a straight line and you are riding wide open all the time, but they don't exist where I ride.

#20 ·
If you think your Grizzly is slow, find some tight technical terrain and go up against those heavy behemoth twins and see who wins. I don't know where you find trails that go in a straight line and you are riding wide open all the time, but they don't exist where I ride.
I own grizzly and Polaris. Love the Yamaha for its dependability. However, its power is on par with a sportsman 570 that costs half as much. The Grizzlies are top heavy too. They do go thru the tight stuff easier than a 850 or 1000 series machine but I can get thru the really tight stuff faster on a recon 250 than a grizz as long as it not something that requires 4wd.

If Yamaha were to offer a quad with the HP of a competitors 1000cc machine, I'd be all over it.

Do I NEED more power, no. I don't need an atv period. They are toys for adults. I'd like to have a bigger, better toy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Yamaha has built the 850 Griz but they are having problems with the cooling, one of the Reps told me that a year ago or so, so I do think there is a 850 Griz in the works, Yamaha has to get all the bugs out before releasing that takes 4-5 years of testing, with increased power and weight brings lower reliability on wear parts, every thing on the Griz will have to be beefed up to handle the new power, not sure what Yamaha would charge for a new 850 Griz, you may need deep pockets.

#18 ·
Yep, I would say that problem is fixed, they are in the testing mode now.

#23 ·
The next all new grizz will still be a single, but it will make about 60-65hp and use technology gained from many years of YZ four stroke technology, the can am and polaris twins weigh right at a half ton, burn a lot of fuel and break a lot of stuff, yamaha will never play that game, maybe yamaha will put a twin in an all new raptor and market it as a scrambler and renegade killer but not in the grizz or kodiak.

#24 ·
You could be right, but Yamaha likes to co share engines, makes the 850 more useable, they are already using them in the wolverine, the Kodiak will stay with the 700 I would think.

#25 ·
What I have heard or read over the last year or so is that Yamaha is/was interested in developing an ATV to compete with the bigger CanAm's and Polaris's, but when running the numbers its not a profitable move. They are better off developing their SxS platform from a $$$ perspective.
Another bit I had heard was that they have some prototypes but the concern is that testers came back and said for daily riding they preferred the current Grizzly as it was much more nimble and just rode better. To handle the twin package and extra power, the concern is to make it reliable it becomes excessively heavy and cooling gets to be an issue as well.

But in my opinion an 850 at this point is dumb, if they want to go up against the renegades and scramblers, they need to develop something in the high 9XX cc range and be a machine that would be stripped down on weight to a point that it would only appeal to the 0.01% of the ATV crowd. The person who doesnt care about any utility capability and is willing to dish out $15K for an ATV that will eat another $2500 a year in parts to keep it running.

To be honest I was surprised to see Polaris release the two new 55" machines this year.

Reactions: danngerous667
#26 ·
To be honest I was surprised to see Polaris release the two new 55" machines this year.
DirtTrax did a segment on that bike. Looks like it could be popular for a racing circuit and military applications. I'm not interested in buying one, but I would like to take one for a rip.

Reactions: MNDirtRider
#29 ·
One of the reasons the Grizzly 700 is so reliable is its lower HP compared to Can AM and Polaris, more power means more pressure on drivetrain, Yamaha has found that balance at 50 ponies with the 700 to keep the Griz reliable, Honda has used lower powered but torquey engines like forever in their ATV's and also built a reputation for being reliable, SXS are a different story though, for Yamaha to up the power in the Griz to 65-70 Hp would drop the reliability on the Griz if they kept the same platform, a all new Griz would have to be built to house a twin, Yamaha's focus seems to be on SXS's not ATV's at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.