Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 yamaha grizzly xtr
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my grizzly a few months ago and after putting some miles on it and seeing how it handles I am ready to start upgrading things. I like my grizzly how it is but I do need it to be a little better equipped for my riding style and I'm also not a big fan of the zilla tires so far.
A little about my riding style: I use my grizzly about 20% of the time working such as disking food plots and spreading seed. About 25% retrieving deer which involves making my own trails most of the time and crossing some mud holes that are about 10 to 12 inches deep: 5 to 6 inches of water with a very soft bottom... just walking through them I sink about 3 to 4 inches in the mud. About 45% riding some very muddy trails and playing in a few mudholes. And finally about 10% of the time just normal trail riding and riding down the road.

So here is a list of everything I plan on doing to my grizzly:

HMF Titan series exhaust with quiet core inserts (already ordered, wanted a deeper tone on the bike but not too loud.)
Uni air filter
EHS tuner
EPI Gold secondary spring
18 gram weights
1.5 mm shim
28" Vampire EDL tires

Tires are probably over kill for what I need but the buddies I ride with run outlaws and other aggressive mud tires and I would like to be able to at least somewhat keep up with them. No plans on snorkeling because I don't ride in water that deep, about the deepest I'll get is 4 to 5 inches above the floor boards and that is on rare occasions. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you do much trail riding or any riding not in mud. Your going to get tired of the vampire pretty fast. Great in the mud but without a continuous bit of lug always touching the ground, i get the railroad tie effect. Rattles your teeth out on any form surface especially hard pack trail and asphalt.

That's where the zillas get thier "decent all around" status, the lugs alternate and curls in across the centerline of the tire, so as you travel, there is always rubber touching the ground. The vampires have a brief void where there's no lug contact as you travel. Ok at higher speeds, but normal trail riding and slow speeds you feel it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pretty sure your Grizzly already has 18 gram weights. The shim will give you a lot more low end. The gold spring could get annoying if you cruise at all. Might tend to rev higher than you want. Only one way to know…
Play with the air pressure in those Zilla tires. I’m not wild about them either, but they sure fit your riding description to a Tee

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Pretty sure your Grizzly already has 18 gram weights. The shim will give you a lot more low end. The gold spring could get annoying if you cruise at all. Might tend to rev higher than you want. Only one way to know…
Play with the air pressure in those Zilla tires. I’m not wild about them either, but they sure fit your riding description to a Tee
Grizzly has 20gr weights stock. He's probably better off with a gold spring of he's going to rev higher with light weights and more low end with the shim while trying to turn heavier 28" tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, my intel isn’t fool-proof. But here is what I got:

Yamaha # 3B4-17632-01-00
20 gram weights 07 to 14 Grizzlys

Yamaha # 2UD-E7632-00-00
18 gram weights 16 to 20 Grizzlys

Could be mistaken though. My Grizzly (19) feels like it has 18 gram compared to the 20 gram I put in the Kodiak. I have not taken it apart.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Yamaha # 3B4-17632-01-00

Yamaha # 2UD-E7632-00-00

Could be mistaken though. My Grizzly (19) feels like it has 18 gram compared to the 20 gram I put in the Kodiak. I have not taken it apart.
No, I believe you are right about the 18 and 20, not sure why I was thinking 20 stock, mind you I did just wake up. Permanent night shift mode for me now.

·
Registered
2021 yamaha grizzly xtr
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yamaha # 3B4-17632-01-00

Yamaha # 2UD-E7632-00-00

So would you recommend 16 gram weights?

·
Registered
2021 yamaha grizzly xtr
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree they do fit the description of what I need but I have come to find that I need something a little more aggressive than the zilla. I have looked at the mega mayhem which has deeper tread but not sure if it would be an improvement or not. If I was to go away from zillas what tire would you recommend? ... keeping in mind that I do play in the mud some and need a tire to make sure I don't have to be winched out of every hole.

·
Registered
2021 yamaha grizzly xtr
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you do much trail riding or any riding not in mud. Your going to get tired of the vampire pretty fast. Great in the mud but without a continuous bit of lug always touching the ground, i get the railroad tie effect. Rattles your teeth out on any form surface especially hard pack trail and asphalt.

That's where the zillas get thier "decent all around" status, the lugs alternate and curls in across the centerline of the tire, so as you travel, there is always rubber touching the ground. The vampires have a brief void where there's no lug contact as you travel. Ok at higher speeds, but normal trail riding and slow speeds you feel it.

I agree the vampire is most likely going to be a rough riding tire. Like I said vampires are probably overkill but I do like the way they look and all the reviews I've read about them in the mud. My old bike had the original super swamper on it so I can handle a little rough. Just trying to find a tire to make sure I'm not getting winched out of every hole but is still able to do the work I need. Do you have any recommendations on what tire to go with?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would start with the shim, and keep the weights. Once you do tires, see how much more you need. Tall tires increases gear ratio. The shim or machined sheave decreases gear ratio. Changing weights or springs changes power delivery. If your tires are heavy, you may want more spring to offset. The Zilla is light, but to me… the Griz has a very well balanced power delivery. Just a little help on the low end and it’s perfect.
I don’t have much experience with mud tires. My Griz is still on the stock Zilla, and my Kodiak is on 27” Reptiles. The Reptile is way nicer than the Zilla - but a lot of that is from the harsh 14” rims

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would start with the shim, and keep the weights. Once you do tires, see how much more you need. Tall tires increases gear ratio. The shim or machined sheave decreases gear ratio. Changing weights or springs changes power delivery. If your tires are heavy, you may want more spring to offset. The Zilla is light, but to me… the Griz has a very well balanced power delivery. Just a little help on the low end and it’s perfect.
I don’t have much experience with mud tires. My Griz is still on the stock Zilla, and my Kodiak is on 27” Reptiles. The Reptile is way nicer than the Zilla - but a lot of that is from the harsh 14” rims
Also comparing a radial to a bias tire. Radials provide a more consistent smooth ride.

I love my reptiles, but in deeper mud, pretty sure the zillas would do better, pretty much any other terrain will go to the reptiles.

To the op, take a look at Sludge hammers.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
148 Posts
On my 21 XT-R
HMF Titan series black out series
K&N air filter
EHS Airlid
EHS tuner
Stock weights
1.5 mm shim
Stock 27'' zilla tires

Just where I want low end wise, top end a little weak. I want Elkas for sure and maybe 28's but don't wanna sacrifice my low end power and weaken the top end any more.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
148 Posts
On my 21 XT-R
K&N air filter
EHS Airlid
EHS tuner
Stock weights
1.5 mm shim
Stock 27'' zilla tires

Just where I want low end wise, top end a little weak. I want Elkas for sure and maybe 28's but don't wanna sacrifice my low end power and weaken the top end any more.
Also my engine braking is a bit to much with gold spring. On loose rocky hills and terrain my tires constantly break free when the engine breaking is active.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Purple spring is all you would need with only a shim and stock size zillas that are super lite. That gold is definitely overkill.

That's what I thought but coop recommend the gold. I even questioned his logic but this is what he still recommended. Anyone one maybe know why?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That's what I thought but coop recommend the gold. I even questioned his logic but this is what he still recommended. Anyone one maybe know why?
I tried the purple spring on my 2019 grizzly with a coop sheave and went back to stock spring 3 days later. Stock weights and spring handle my heavier Growler tires without issues

I have no clue why coop would suggest a gold spring..

·
Registered
2021 yamaha grizzly xtr
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On my 21 XT-R
K&N air filter
EHS Airlid
EHS tuner
Stock weights
1.5 mm shim
Stock 27'' zilla tires

How do you like the sound of the HMF exhaust? Also how is the EHS air lid doing... any trouble with water getting in? I enjoy the current power band on the grizzly but could use some more low end. As for the top end I'm not to worried about because most places I ride it's hard to get much over 50mph.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How do you like the sound of the HMF exhaust? Also how is the EHS air lid doing... any trouble with water getting in? I enjoy the current power band on the grizzly but could use some more low end. As for the top end I'm not to worried about because most places I ride it's hard to get much over 50mph.
My Hmf sounds alot better and only 1 decibal louder at idle. Airlid is really water tight, a light drone noise at high rpm. Nothing that you can't handle though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts