Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted to double check that a KN 303 oil filter is OK for this engine?

The OEM filter part number for my ATV looks to be 5GH-13440-61-00. I'm not finding anything in the way of compatibility by way of cross reference charts for this filter. However by chain of subsequent part numbers, 5GH-13440-61-00 looks to be a replacement for part number 5GH-13440-60-00, which looks to be a replacement part number for 5GH-13440-50-00, which has compatibility with the KN 303 oil filter.

Can anyone confirm compatibility?

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
69 Posts
Numbers change quite often, whether or not there's new requirements, who knows, but one thing for sure, I wouldn't use anything K&N if it's under warranty. My old 550 uses an EOM 103, same for F40 Yamaha outboard. A 2021 700 Grizz also shows a WIX 10000 oil filter.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Numbers change quite often, whether or not there's new requirements, who knows, but one thing for sure, I wouldn't use anything K&N if it's under warranty. My old 550 uses an EOM 103, same for F40 Yamaha outboard. A 2021 700 Grizz also shows a WIX 10000 oil filter.
Do you care to expand on that? I've researched oil filters and while most folks agree Fram is to be avoided, I've not seen much in the way of people running away from K&N oil filters. The same can't be said with air filters though. I'm all for making sure high quality components are used but a little context or reasoning as to why you state that you wouldn't use anything K&N if it's under warranty. It also begs the question - you'd use K&N stuff it it wasn't under warranty ;)?

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Actually the new 686 engine in Kodiak & grizzly is a wl10337 wix filter.

The one you listed is for Honda and Yamaha motorcycle and boat engines, not the grizzly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with k&n oil filters, they work well. And have a proven track record. The frame, and hiflow filters are the ones you should stay away from, very cheaply made, although a few members hear have run hiflow with zero issues.

End of the day your best bet is wix or OEM filter.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
69 Posts
Well, maybe a mistake on Amsoil, their 2021 Grizzly 700 (708),shows it takes a WIX 10000, the 2021 Kodiak says it has a 700 (608) but no filter listed. Maybe have to bring that to their attention. Thanks for the find.

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
69 Posts
Do you care to expand on that? I've researched oil filters and while most folks agree Fram is to be avoided, I've not seen much in the way of people running away from K&N oil filters. The same can't be said with air filters though. I'm all for making sure high quality components are used but a little context or reasoning as to why you state that you wouldn't use anything K&N if it's under warranty. It also begs the question - you'd use K&N stuff it it wasn't under warranty ;)?
I'm going by the "complaints" of filters that people use in their trucks, some that show when changed are ballooned outwards. Maybe a different story with small engine ones. Bad wording, I just don't use K&N, before or after.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Well, maybe a mistake on Amsoil, their 2021 Grizzly 700 (708),shows it takes a WIX 10000, the 2021 Kodiak says it has a 700 (608) but no filter listed. Maybe have to bring that to their attention. Thanks for the find.
Yeah, amsoil is really messed up there concidering the 2021 700 is a 686 not a 708 and the Kodiak shares the exact same filter.

Part of the reason I never got on the ams oil or redline train. If they can't get simple info right, I'm not paying out the ass for this product. Give me good old Mobil 1 or rotella tried and tested oil. We aren't running race engines in our ATVs and daily cars and trucks. You won't see enough benefits gained to justify the added cost of the so called "premium" oils.
Rotella and a wix filter, she will last just as long if not longer. Lol

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From a search earlier today, Wix filters are impossible to find. Where do you all buy them? Rotella T6 looked difficult too but I haven't stepped into Walmart yet.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can find Rotella T-6, buy for a year or two, we haven't been able to get any for about 4 months now. I buy the WIX filters at CarQuest.
Interesting. The CarQuest website doesn't even list WIX on their list of brands. Tough times I assume....

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
From a search earlier today, Wix filters are impossible to find. Where do you all buy them? Rotella T6 looked difficult too but I haven't stepped into Walmart yet.
You can buy wix filters online or at any automotive parts store, you can buy the same filter at Napa with this name on it, it's a wix filter.

As for rotella, same any parts store, but note that right now, shell isn't producing any rotella products due to supply chain issues with some of the additives blended into rotella oil. So current inventory is dropping fast everywhere.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The oil filter saga...I use HiFlo and Denso.
Tin Automotive tire Tin can Beverage can Drinkware

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But atleast you use the correct part numbers. Lol gotta love these websites that give incorrect cross reference numbers

That severely complicates things. I just bought a case of Yamalube and 4 of the Yamaha 5GH-13440--61 oil filters. Hard to find this stuff locally and when I decide to do an oil change it's nice to have it all on hand.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
That severely complicates things. I just bought a case of Yamalube and 4 of the Yamaha 5GH-13440--61 oil filters. Hard to find this stuff locally and when I decide to do an oil change it's nice to have it all on hand.
Yup, I'm sitting here with a full pail of rotella, no filters though. I'm not worried with filters there's enough wix filters for small engines that will work. Provided they are similar diameter, have the same or better burst rating and flow rate, and have an anti drain back valve, I'm happy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
K&N filters suck,, actually can slow the flow needed for smaller high performance engines. Learned a lot of this the hard way. Use a Yamaha filter they aren’t hard to find and Yamaha has it figured out. Hell or use a fram, I mean a clean new filter is better than any old filter. Or use whatever filter helps you sleep better at night. I use Yamaha filters and Yamalube oil I must be a freak. I also don’t have engine issues or wet clutch problems ever so go figure..

These questions always get me. What’s next what kind of oil and octane gas you should use then what kind of brake pads I mean really.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
K&N filters suck,, actually can slow the flow needed for smaller high performance engines. Learned a lot of this the hard way. Use a Yamaha filter they aren’t hard to find and Yamaha has it figured out. Hell or use a fram, I mean a clean new filter is better than any old filter. Or use whatever filter helps you sleep better at night. I use Yamaha filters and Yamalube oil I must be a freak. I also don’t have engine issues or wet clutch problems ever so go figure..

These questions always get me. What’s next what kind of oil and octane gas you should use then what kind of brake pads I mean really.
The post was about the part number but I get that the discussion took a turn. I use yamalube as well and (now) have a stash of Yamaha OEM filters. I used the K&N filter as it was what was available at the time and I didn’t see anything hugely negative about it on the forums. Plus, is the 686cc engine considered a high performance engine? I wouldn’t think so but what do I know.

Take a chill pill about “these questions”, nobody is trying to boil the ocean here. Similar to you I haven’t had any issues either.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts

You need to calm down bud. I've read two of your posts now and both of them you're getting very aggressive with the OP when all they did was ask a simple question. And now I would highly suggest they don't take your advice after seeing you recommend a fram filter over a k&n. I'm not a k&n fan at all but the oil filters work the very best and there are no issues with lack of flow. That's actually what k&n is known for high flow rates both air and oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You need to calm down bud. I've read two of your posts now and both of them you're getting very aggressive with the OP when all they did was ask a simple question. And now I would highly suggest they don't take your advice after seeing you recommend a fram filter over a k&n. I'm not a k&n fan at all but the oil filters work the very best and there are no issues with lack of flow. That's actually what k&n is known for high flow rates both air and oil.

😂🥱
The most sensitive of riders lol sharing my experience sorry for those who cry. Check those nuts fellas!!! 💯💯💯

1 - 20 of 29 Posts