Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Hey, I have the same exact machine and I was considering these same mods, was wondering how you made out? Thanks
All the info is on here for you on all these mods. Highly suggest you don't get a k&n filter, go with a uni or a notoil. K&n still allows fine dust. They honestly shouldn't be used on anything used off-road or in dusty conditions. Stay away from clutch "kits", they area waste of money for extra parts you aren't going to use. Sourcing the parts separate is way cheaper and you get exactly what you need. Lots of guys on here with hundreds of thousands of miles with of experience. Pretty easy to help a guy out with what he needs with just a few questions.
As for a fuel tuner, with the 2019+ it's a gamble. We have several members that day it didn't help on the net bikes, a couple say it actually hindered the performance, and a few swear it works as well as it does on the 2018 and earlier bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I’m looking more into getting clutch work done, I’m very familiar with tuners and I find they generally really only work when you change the exhaust and the intake. I agree with you on the K&N on this machine, I want to stay away from a super loud exhaust so im going to just change out the baffle to rid the pesky moped sound. Ihave a different machine for that other stuff. XTR has big wheels and it lacks bottom end power and of course I want to gain some top end if i can. Im pushing over a 100 horse on my other machine so i just want to wake this one up so I don’t miss the power of my Can-am too much! Lol Im well aware I won’t get the power of my moded xtp- 1000r and im not really trying to. Got the XTR because of Yamaha reliability and to not avoid the mud. My Can-am is build for aggressive trail and i stay away from mud. So if anybody has any information that would be helpful , it will be appreciated! Again just looking to wake this grizzly up!

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Raise the ratio and change the point of weight influence on the cam plate to make heavier weights work best with a machined movable primary sheave. This will give the best out of the hole low end pull then transition to best top end speed or lower cruising r.p.m. depending on what you want at the time. I added a 2" tip for better flow, and yes its louder; in some states if you remove the spark arrestor the man will become your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, yes the plan is to remove the baffle and add a bigger tip with a spark arrester.
Its my understanding that the max ratio is 3.1 before it starts to rub? Will i need a spring assuming it may slip? And so i will need to have the sheave machined and add heavier weights?

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Thanks, yes the plan is to remove the baffle and add a bigger tip with a spark arrester.
Its my understanding that the max ratio is 3.1 before it starts to rub? Will i need a spring assuming it may slip? And so i will need to have the sheave machined and add heavier weights?
To raise the ratio we widen the distance between the primary sheaves, most start with shim but there is a limit to the amount of shim that can be installed due to the length of the shaft splines of the cam-plate on older models or the grease cover screws start to rub on the newer models.
Its then machining can be done for a higher ratio than can be had with shim alone. Many then learn how to install a machined sheave in combination with shim for the most feel-good down low.
The stock system is engineered for the stock pulley ratio so when raising the ratio the belt can then slip, so yes many install a heavier secondary spring. This also increases the back-shift rate.
With shim alone most members with a 700 learn the grease cover screws start to rub above 1.7 mms installed.
The weights react to centrifugal force so heavier weights move sooner, with less r.p.m. from the engine. With a high ratio causing torque magnification the engine can pull harder, and with heavier weights a cut cam-plate is used to change the up-shift rate for best forward bite.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Mine is currently @ 3:1 with my coop45 machined sheave and there is a slight amount of rub on the cover ( perfectly normal) . In the past I've managed almost 3.2:1 initial ratio without issues.

The stock spring and weights work excellent on our 2019 to 2022 Grizzlys . I ended up sticking with the stock clutching, other then the addition of machined sheave for much lower initial cvt ratios

Many do upgrade the secondary spring to an EPI purple but I found this combination to rev too much when accelerating normally and cruising.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Vincent's above post reminds me of how important it is to have a signature of your ride, and include information about your location.
C.V.T. mods are one thing, but knowing how they change the ride depends on several factors, notice the tires listed along with c.v.t. mods. Knowing how the entire driveline helps other know what to expect.
Then letting others know your location is good. I live at 7000ft. and ride mostly uphill from there. This makes how my bike performs different than others in the thread.
Another thing important with discussing c.v.t. mods is knowing what the bike is. A 660 accepts different combinations of parts than a 700, because of a different c.v.t. cover design rubbing issues are different.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
144 Posts
I did the Coop clutch on my last Grizzly and was very pleased with the results!

Reactions: wgc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone heard of a Mr Andrew Deal who lives in Eastern Canada who does sheave machining? Ive seen a few different people with Yamaha Youtube channels that have gone to him.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Has anyone heard of a Mr Andrew Deal who lives in Eastern Canada who does sheave machining? Ive seen a few different people with Yamaha Youtube channels that have gone to him.
Yup, I have talked to the argent prick on fb a few times, he's a member in Yamaha power sports fb group. I have nothing good to say about him as he and his buddy on there laugh and make fun of members that don't have built bikes, and the way he talks, is his sheave is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Spend your money on a coop 45 sheave and do it right. Btw,
Mr deal calls a coop45 garbage, junk sheave, machined poorly. Funny how many many members here will tell you just the opposite.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yup, I have talked to the argent prick on fb a few times, he's a member in Yamaha power sports fb group. I have nothing good to say about him as he and his buddy on there laugh and make fun of members that don't have built bikes, and the way he talks, is his sheave is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Mr deal calls a coop45 garbage, junk sheave, machined poorly. Funny how many many members here will tell you just the opposite.

Thanks for the info. Sending my sheave through customs where its at the agents discretion to clear is kinda scary though. Ive yet to see anyone have anything negative to say about Coops for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
It'll be zero issue sending it through customs as all it does is go through a scanner which is viewed on a screen by a customs agent and it doesn't resemble any kind of weapon or illicit device. That's probably a few hundred people on here that have sent sheaves through customs with no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts

I will have to look this guy up CK 700, Lol

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
COOP45, Arnie Cooper was the original inventor/thinker of the machined movable primary sheave.
The work Mr. Deal recreates is by the process worked out by the guy he shades.
I think Mr. Deal might be James with J.B.S. in a new location :) the only two I remember shading COOP.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Andrew deals is in Canada and much younger than James at jbs, 2 totally different people that share the same arrogant attitude and bash the work that everyone else has done. Coop most certainly wasn't the inventor of the creator of the modified sheave, that's been around for years, traced back to sleds. But he most certainly is the king in the industry. And has probably the most refined product.

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Andrew deals is in Canada and much younger than James at jbs, 2 totally different people that share the same arrogant attitude and bash the work that everyone else has done. Coop most certainly wasn't the inventor of the creator of the modified sheave, that's been around for years, traced back to sleds. But he most certainly is the king in the industry. And has probably the most refined product.
I was being facetious about the two being one, James may not be able to move there, and the two use different machining theories.
Arnie was the first to bring sheave mods to G.C. 10 to 12 years ago. He was modifying these parts for others racing machines across this country long before that.
He was the first to work out the theory of changing the belt face angle from what a stock sheave provides......I was one of, if not his first customer for his new machining process, different than what started with snow machines.
He was the first to start with shims, a linear mod #1 with limits that changed top speed.
Arnie counter-acted the downside of mod #1 with mod #2 and the cut cam-plate, linear in another plane.
He then perfected the mod #3 for the average rider needing benefits from mods #1 and 2 combined, for others wanting more to combine all mods by their choice.

Reactions: griz7 and Vincent

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
X-2... Sledder had been tuning CVT's long before ATV's were created.
Many believe coop is the "inventor". The CVT clutch moding has been around since it was invent around 1880 for a sawmill. As the guy that invented later started adapting it to cars he had to "mod" the CVT to get the results he was looking for or needed.

Andrew Deal is not doing anything "New". He is combining modern technics as Coop (face milling) uses and ramp/channel milling as Hunterworks uses. Just Because I Said is, besides being a Donkey does channel milling.
There are a few other sheave miller out there. Hell, I did my own on my drill press.

As far as I know Hunterworks is the only CNC miller. He normally has many available to ship out. Unlike all the others he is also the only one that has a dyno to prove his work.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
X-2... Sledder had been tuning CVT's long before ATV's were created.
Many believe coop is the "inventor". The CVT clutch moding has been around since it was invent around 1880 for a sawmill. As the guy that invented later started adapting it to cars he had to "mod" the CVT to get the results he was looking for or needed.

Andrew Deal is not doing anything "New". He is combining modern technics as Coop (face milling) uses and ramp/channel milling as Hunterworks uses. Just Because I Said is, besides being a Donkey does channel milling.
There are a few other sheave miller out there. Hell, I did my own on my drill press.

As far as I know Hunterworks is the only CNC miller. He normally has many available to ship out. Unlike all the others he is also the only one that has a dyno to prove his work.
Yup, there's a kid at my work with a grizz with a CNC machined sheave, his dad works at a local machine shop and they played around a bit on a few sheaves. Not sure what they did, but that kids bike guess like a raped ape. They were planning on some Dyno time too, as his dad's hobbies is rebuilding old muscle cars and they have access to a Dyno at a guys shop.
Oh how nice it must be to have connections to all this stuff... Lol

21 - 40 of 77 Posts