1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Interesting to see the results, not what was expected. Chaparral sells Maxxis tires, however didn't see it in the top 8. Not a vendor of Pitbull's though the statement about weight being a detriment, I would expect to see them in the top 8 either.
Given a choice, I'd mod my CVT and run Pitbulls all day, everyday. For now, I just need to wear out the Bighorns, ha.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I feel it was a limited but fair comparison of the tires they use. But for me I what is most important is durability. They need to add add a bed of nails and a continuous blasted rock rubble climbs until the tire failed. Last tire standing is the winner.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It all goes back to "There is no best tire!"

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It all goes back to "There is no best tire!"
Exactly! The original Maxxis Bighorns didn’t even make the top eight! But let's be honest, there is a reason why Bighorns have a top notch reputation on every Atv and SxS forum.

So many other variables like price, smoothness, handling, long term durability, traction on sand, rocks, mud, snow, wet conditions etc....... The list just goes on and on. No such thing as the best of all.

That said, if a member asks advice on selecting a tire on a tight budget, I'll certainly suggest the AMS Slingshot XTs for sure!

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I feel the shootout was a little off.
But I do have experience with the AMS Slingshots. Excellent tires. I love them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I found it interesting all top 8 were directional tires. I thought the test was fair but a little flawed. No long term durability tests(which would take forever), rock crawling or hard pack. To me the conditions they tested them in were in the wheel house of a directional tire. It does make me consider an ams tire or mud lite xtr my next set.

They say they tested 21 tires. I couldn’t find what 21 they tested?

I’m on my 4 set of Bighorns and while they seem to wear well they definitely have their flaws.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread ended up being a source of education for me to help others. Royal Distributing had some excellent sales on 25 and 26" AMS Slingshots. Though very limited qualities of 26x9 and 26x11s".

After some discussion with one of my ex boss on the subject, he threw me his credit card and I ordered him a set of 26" AMS Slingshots for his 450 Kodiak on my last nightshifts.

Also strongly suggested to my neighbour to up grade his 400 Artic Cat tires to a set of AMS Slingshots before Royal D ran out of stock.

Both upgraded from old 25" tires to 26" and are pleased and very impressived with the performance of these tires. Even better you consider they payed less then 1/2 the price of my Pitbull Growlers!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did find it interesting that there has been some chat on here lately for the #3 Kenda Bearclaw HTR's. Will definitely be keeping an eye on those as well. I did try to reach out to them to see what tires they used but they didn't provide a list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts