Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started another thread about 25x10 on all 4 corners but decided to got with 26x9 to get more ground clearance. Overall I gained 1 inch of ground clearance over my 25 inch bighorns. Ground clearance is 11.5 front and 12 rear. The HTR's measured 25.5 on my 2014 Grizz with 4 psi. I wanted to post some pictures for comparison purposes if someone else wanted to do this in the future. The wheels are ITP SS316 12x7 wheels. I didn't get to drive it last night because it was raining, but maybe I can try it in a couple of days.

First 3 pics are the grizz with stock tires (brand new), 25inch bighorns and then 26x9 bearclaws.

Front

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear- Stock, 25 inch bighorns, then 26x9 htr's

Attachments

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pictures for comparison sake

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Cool to see the differences between tires. Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure those tires will work out just fine for ya. Also I'm a big fan of 26" over 25" tires.

As you know I really considered 26x9s all the way around to. In my case it was simply easier and cheaper to stick to 26x9 and 26x11.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nice pics, and not to brag but I have that same clearance with my 25" Black Diamonds... Looks nice, let us know how they ride!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool to see the differences between tires. Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure those tires will work out just fine for ya. Also I'm a big fan of 26" over 25" tires.

As you know I really considered 26x9s all the way around to. In my case it was simply easier and cheaper to stick to 26x9 and 26x11.
I went the same route on tires for my 2017 with stock le wheels. With them being different widths front to back I thought the same size tire might look strange all the way around.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice pics, and not to brag but I have that same clearance with my 25" Black Diamonds... Looks nice, let us know how they ride!
LOL! According to a former banned member who use to love black diamonds until he hated them I thought they ran short. (some of the older members will remember who I'm talking about! LOL!)

Tire pressure and shock preload can make a big difference in ground clearance. My shocks are pretty worn out (the Grizzly has about 5400 miles on it) but they're set on the second preload setting. The tire shop had the tires inflated to 15 psi and they were well over 26 tall. I like a little side wall pooch, so I run most of mine about 4-5 psi. Once I get a chance to ride it I'll be able to tell better.

·
Registered
800 Posts
LOL! According to a former banned member who use to love black diamonds until he hated them I thought they ran short. (some of the older members will remember who I'm talking about! LOL!)

Tire pressure and shock preload can make a big difference in ground clearance. My shocks are pretty worn out (the Grizzly has about 5400 miles on it) but they're set on the second preload setting. The tire shop had the tires inflated to 15 psi and they were well over 26 tall. I like a little side wall pooch, so I run most of mine about 4-5 psi. Once I get a chance to ride it I'll be able to tell better.
I love mine. Please don't ban me for that! Lol. Mine are 5-6 PSI, mounted, second preload setting, sitting on 9,000 mile shocks. Not bad if you ask me ;-)

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey @RansomP, great comparison photos. I'm betting you will like those tires. They look good on those wheels too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great post and thanks. Looks awesome. I to am going 9" all the way around, but still haven't made a decision on the 26" or 27".

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a chance to ride the grizzly tonight with the new tires. I found 4 psi and the shock preload set full soft made it ride good. Stiffer than the Bighorns, but that was expected. Lowering the psi below 4 seemed to work ok for slower trail riding but the more speed picked up it started feeling squishy and swayed. No noticeable power loss and the grip seemed good to me. I’m pleased with 9’s all the way around.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went the same route on tires for my 2017 with stock le wheels. With them being different widths front to back I thought the same size tire might look strange all the way around.

@RansomP, What tires and wheels did you go with on your 2017?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@RansomP, What tires and wheels did you go with on your 2017?
I’m using the stock le wheels with Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 tires. I received 3 of the tires, but UPS lost one of the rears. Hopefully I can get them mounted this week and I’ll post some pictures.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’m using the stock le wheels with Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 tires. I received 3 of the tires, but UPS lost one of the rears. Hopefully I can get them mounted this week and I’ll post some pictures.
Ah yes... I was following that thread also and was wondering what was going on with that last tire! I still can't believe UPS lost one of them! The Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 was one of the sets of tires I've been looking at. So I'm looking forward to you finally getting getting them mounted.

Does it look like the the Bighorn 3.0s have any sort of a rim guard? Also, what about the Kendra HTR? Do they have a rim guard?

p.s. Thanks for the comparison pictures. I love the look of the machined SS316 wheels! And the machined SS212 and the SS216 as well!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah yes... I was following that thread also and was wondering what was going on with that last tire! I still can't believe UPS lost one of them! The Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 was one of the sets of tires I've been looking at. So I'm looking forward to you finally getting getting them mounted.

Does it look like the the Bighorn 3.0s have any sort of a rim guard? Also, what about the Kendra HTR? Do they have a rim guard?

p.s. Thanks for the comparison pictures. I love the look of the machined SS316 wheels! And the machined SS212 and the SS216 as well!
The Kenda HTR doesn't have a rim guard but the 3.0 does. I'll be anxious to see how the 3.0's mount up if I can ever get that last tire! LOL!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Kenda HTR doesn't have a rim guard but the 3.0 does. I'll be anxious to see how the 3.0's mount up if I can ever get that last tire! LOL!
OK, thanks. I sure hope UPS is doing something for you for your troubles! Heck, maybe the place you ordered the tires from would send you a second rear tire so you can get them all mounted and start using them.

I can't find any reviews of the Bighorn 3.0 tires. So, as it stands now, it looks like your report on them will be the first on the WWW! No pressure... ;-)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, thanks. I sure hope UPS is doing something for you for your troubles! Heck, maybe the place you ordered the tires from would send you a second rear tire so you can get them all mounted and start using them.

I can't find any reviews of the Bighorn 3.0 tires. So, as it stands now, it looks like your report on them will be the first on the WWW! No pressure... ;-)
Its been a week since I reported the lost package to UPS and no response. 2wheel.com has been asleep at the wheel when it comes to customer service. Its been like pulling teeth to get them to do anything. I'm not impressed with their service.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on the kenda bearclaw htrs. This weekend they got a good test by my son Christian. The bearclaws have a firm ride but not harsh. The grip is good but the grizzly seems to be able to break them loose at any time when hammering it down the trail. My son and I switched quads, him driving my 2017 and me on the 2014 with the bear claws. My 2017 with bighorn 3.0's rode more plush, but not by much. For the price the bearclaw htrs are hard to beat. I was a little concerned going with a narrower rear tire, but watching how effortlessly he climbed obstacles and went every where I did I wouldn't hesitate to put 26x9's all the way around again in the future.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Now I'm thinking about the Bighorn 3.0. I can't decide!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got the the Maxxis Bighorn 3.0! Found a good eBay deal stacking the already low price the store had with the 24 hr eBay coupon that took another 10% off. Came out to $434 for the 26in set. Previously, the cheapest I found was $502. However, the rate at which weather is getting worse earlier in the season in my area this year, I may not get to test this season. Grrr

1 - 20 of 23 Posts