Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,what are your opinions on 27" vs 28" Zillas on 12" wheels?

Looking for rough trail/moderate to extreme mud tire. Im riding a 2016 Grizzly SE...mostly with a passenger

If you have other tire suggestions please let me know

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I would avoid the zillas if you are riding with passenger on rough trails .. they are a soft tire that nobody around here has had any luck with. Puncture easier.
Don't worry about weight as much the grizz has no issues turning 27s

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. would you consider the zilla to be one of the better mud tires?

was also looking at the mud bugs

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My next tires (unless something else more cool comes out) will be ITP Blackwater evolutions. They are 8 ply tough, have a great open tread design so they'll do pretty well in mud.
This is a pic I found online.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448677022.392314.jpg

2015 CanAm 800xt, Dalton clutch kit, 27" STI Black Diamond XTR's

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448677153.272044.jpg

2015 CanAm 800xt, Dalton clutch kit, 27" STI Black Diamond XTR's

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I think if I was to buy a trail mud tire I would go with 28" outlaw radials

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
High lifter

·
Registered
857 Posts
28 zillas with a passenger is no problem. I have yet to puncture one and have hit plenty of stumps, rocks and frozen ruts with them. Mine are also on 14" wheels which are guaranteed to get pinch flats if you believe what you read on here. As far as an extreme mud tire though, it might not be what you are looking for. Moderate mud for sure. My brother in law has the sizes you are looking into and also has yet to have any trouble. We don't putz around, we ride hard. Just look at my http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/pictures-videos/49558-week-breakage.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
Those are the tires I run and have not had any issues. They're a great tire in my opinion and I run hard trails and mud.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Got this discussion going on another board. I have mega mayhems, which are a virtual twin to the zilla. Where the zilla is lighter, the mayhem has a deaper lug, and is 6 ply, where the extra weight comes in. I had mine on a tired 600 grizzly, and didn't notice any power loss. They do run small, my 27s are the same height as the 26" HTRs on my 'gade. They are a tough tire. I have a slice in one of the lugs, have no clue how it got there, but it's not to the core, and haven't had any issues with it, or the tires in general. I haven't used them in a while, got them mounted on the factory beadlocks, and haven't had any air loss with them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm facing the same dilemma...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all, having the 28" zillas quoted. My dealer tells me chances are i will break an axle running in diff lock through mud

Anyone face these issues on 28" tires?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I broke my CV's with 26" tires. I learned my lesson about diff-lock, upgraded to Rhino's in the front and haven't broken another since.

Usually, not always, YOU break the axle. Not the tires. The last one I had the diff lock engaged, climbing out of a hole with all tires spinning, bouncing on roots that lined the hole. Of course it snapped. I could have just used the winch or walked it out of the easy side of the hole. Because of how much work it was to get that axle out without proper tools and having to limp it home and then pony up $600 for new axles, I take it easier in the situations where I think I might break something. I only lock the diffs if I'm sure that I just need an extra little bit to get me out. Otherwise I hop off and try to walk it out or pull out the winch line. Sometimes you have to know when your beat and if you keep trying you break things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts