Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock tires 27x10x14 Zella's are worn out, im thinking about replacing them with 28x11x14 Zella's on all 4 corners, i love the traction they give in all conditions.
Has anyone done this, I don't think there will be any problems the bike comes stock with the square setup and is regeared by Yamaha. What do you think?

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
45 Posts
Lots of people run a squared setup and love it, most people go with 4 skinnies though (9" wide) like @Vincent did. He has his experiences documented here somewhere.. or mabey its on the kodiak forum.. I don't remember lol.

Whatever width you choose, all 4 of them need to be on the same width wheel.. or else the tire profile and height of the installed tires will be different.

If you do go with skinnies rather than running 4 rear tires, the weight savings from the narrower tire casing and wheels would likely negate the extra weight from the larger diameter tires.. something to think about.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
45 Posts
*** I totally misread your post. So disregard most of that lol.

Why do you feel the need to go to a 11" wide tire? Personally, 10 is about as wide as i would want to go on a wheeler.. 9 is preferable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*** I totally misread your post. So disregard most of that lol.

Why do you feel the need to go to a 11" wide tire? Personally, 10 is about as wide as i would want to go on a wheeler.. 9 is preferable.
You can't get 28" Zillas in 10" width and I wanted the extra height of the 28's.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
My stock tires 27x10x14 Zella's are worn out, im thinking about replacing them with 28x11x14 Zella's on all 4 corners, i love the traction they give in all conditions.
Has anyone done this, I don't think there will be any problems the bike comes stock with the square setup and is regeared by Yamaha. What do you think?
Wouldn't see any problems with that tire combination. Many run tall 11" wides at all four corners. Heck the 27x10 r14 that came stock on our quads only measured 26" tall mounted

You find zillas are good in all situations? I found they perform sub par in our loose gravel, sand, rock combination hills around my area. They wouldn't climb anything without 4wd. Everything else they were ok.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You can get the zillas in a 28x9-14, you would be much better off running that than the 28x11-14.
3 big advantages...
1. Lighter tire
2. Turns easier in mud - narrower and lighter
3. Chapter price

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I'm not sure if 9" tires
You can get the zillas in a 28x9-14, you would be much better off running that than the 28x11-14.
3 big advantages...
1. Lighter tire
2. Turns easier in mud - narrower and lighter
3. Chapter price

I "m not sure if a 9" wide tire is ideal on such a wide 14x8" wheel.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Perfectly fine on an 8" rim, be fine up to 10" safely, not that I would want it on a 10, 8 is as far as I would go

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and all the good info, im still leaning towards the 28x11's, I do a lot of winter riding also and I think they would do well in snow. The stock tires were great in snow best I've ever had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts