Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2/4wd switch recently been giving me problems... The other day, the button wouldn't work to disengage 4wd. I didn't feel like messing with it so I left it alone until the next day... Well the next day I started it up and it was working fine again. It worked fine for acouple good rides, then one day it stopped working altogther. I cleaned out the connectors to the switch, but that didn't help. I'm thinking it might be the four wheel drive fuse, but the problem is, I don't know where it is! I can't find it in the service manual at all, it mentions it on the wiring diagram as a 3a fuse, but I don't know where it is on the bike. I opened the fuse box, and I didn't see any 3a fuses in there at all, only 5a fuses. So I checked those just incase, but nothing wrong with those one. Also, my diff lock works fine...

I did watch a video on how to clean out the contacts on the switch assembly, but I wanted to find the 3a fuse first. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair website. It's the authority on the Yamaha 4wd system. Follow the troubleshooting guide on there.

Yeah I watched a video on how to clean the switch assembly. So far I've cleaned the connectors going to the switch, then I took the switch apart and cleaned the contact points for both buttons, and then I checked all the relays by removing them one at a time and putting in a spare new one to see if one of them was no good... Well, so far nothing worked. The only thing I can think of is the fuse. but I cannot find it. The service guide doesn't show where it is placed on the machine, just in the wiring layout... I just want to find the fuse!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IS is possible snow/ice buildup could keep it from working? My bike is a bit built up with snow/ice on the skid/body plates. I'll have to take a look and see where the servo motor thing is and check to see if a plug or something popped out.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
IS is possible snow/ice buildup could keep it from working? My bike is a bit built up with snow/ice on the skid/body plates. I'll have to take a look and see where the servo motor thing is and check to see if a plug or something popped out.
Yes most definitely it could. You may also have water in the servo connectors causing shorts. Remove the connectors and clean them with contact cleaner. Apply dielectric grease to prevent water entry in the future.

Reactions: Bperley

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, it turns out my diff lock doesn't work when I thought it did. The light turns on on the dash, but it won't lock. So something is keeping the whole thing from working... Also, I could use alil help on getting the plug off the servo? I tried to pull it off... I'm not sure if you're supposed to pinch it, or use a flat head to lift up those lips holding it? I can't get in close enough to really tell... I tried pinching hard as I could, and the sucker wouldn't budge. I tried cleaning the outside too, there is alot of dirt and mud.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found the problem. It wasn't the motor. There was a wire that got pulled out from snow/ice on the servo plug... I gave it a quick fix for now, and everything is working fine now. But I have to do a permanent fix soon somehow. I might have to buy a new plug and rewire it on there so I don't have to worry about it again for awhile. I used a rounded male plug terminal that fits in the hole pretty good, and it gives a connection, although it's not in there securely, so I don't know how long it will hold up, especially with snow buildup. But, I know what the problem is...

I did try to get the pin out of the plug, but I just couldn't get it out. I was going to rewire/solder it back on the wire, but I ran out of a daylight and just did what I could do to get it to work. I will get around to fixing it and securing it as it should be soon...

Attachments

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Vendor
717 Posts
I found the problem. It wasn't the motor. There was a wire that got pulled out from snow/ice on the servo plug... I gave it a quick fix for now, and everything is working fine now. But I have to do a permanent fix soon somehow. I might have to buy a new plug and rewire it on there so I don't have to worry about it again for awhile. I used a rounded male plug terminal that fits in the hole pretty good, and it gives a connection, although it's not in there securely, so I don't know how long it will hold up, especially with snow buildup. But, I know what the problem is...

I did try to get the pin out of the plug, but I just couldn't get it out. I was going to rewire/solder it back on the wire, but I ran out of a daylight and just did what I could do to get it to work. I will get around to fixing it and securing it as it should be soon...
You can get a new connector and crimp on that wire, no need to buy a new plug. Search weatherpak connector in google and you'll find what you need. Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You can get a new connector and crimp on that wire, no need to buy a new plug. Search weatherpak connector in google and you'll find what you need. Glad you got it figured out.
Thanks, but I have no idea which terminal I need. or what guage? I'm on amazon.com right now looking, and I found a 20-18g female metri-pack terminals, which have the square end for flat pins, which is what I believe I need. The weatherpack ones have round pins... I found acouple different ones, but I'm unsure the size of the flat pins and gauge of the wire.

Found these...? right size? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWL0ROK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AZHZ102UTKBMA&psc=1

or these: two different sizes, but both for 16-18GA wire https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWKN6TO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZHZ102UTKBMA&psc=1

and will this terminal removal kit work with these terminals? not sure of size.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JMYKS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AAJLT181W8SQO&psc=1

·
Vendor
717 Posts
Thanks, but I have no idea which terminal I need. or what guage? I'm on amazon.com right now looking, and I found a 20-18g female weatherpak terminal? and also a removal tool.

Found these...? right size? https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Female-Weather-Pack-Terminal-Sockets/dp/B079K93TYQ/ref=sr_1_22?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520627214&sr=1-22&keywords=weatherpack+terminal+18-20

and will this terminal removal kit work with these terminals? not sure of size.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JMYKS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AAJLT181W8SQO&psc=1
Nah brother that'll be way to big. That's a smaller wire going to the servo about a 24 gauge. The best thing to do is get the plug off and using something pointy or a tiny flathead screwdriver going from one end to the other, pry off that white cover piece inside of the plug. Once that's off, you'll see some plastic tabs. Again, using your tool, push down on the tab of the wire you want out while pulling on the wire. It'll come out and then take it to a reputable automotive parts store. They should be able to hook you up with the right connector and maybe even let you borrow a tool to crimp it. It takes a special tool to crimp those on the right way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah brother that'll be way to big. That's a smaller wire going to the servo about a 24 gauge. The best thing to do is get the plug off and using something pointy or a tiny flathead screwdriver going from one end to the other, pry off that white cover piece inside of the plug. Once that's off, you'll see some plastic tabs. Again, using your tool, push down on the tab of the wire you want out while pulling on the wire. It'll come out and then take it to a reputable automotive parts store. They should be able to hook you up with the right connector and maybe even let you borrow a tool to crimp it. It takes a special tool to crimp those on the right way.

Thanks! 24 gauge is a start... Do you think they are the metri-pack female ends though? from what I remember they are square for flat male pins... But I'll give it another try to get the pin out as soon as I can, and take it to VIP.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I did have to splice/cut the wire to get that round terminal on that I used to quick fix it... so it's shorter than before, and I'm not sure if it will be long enough to get back into the plug, especially after cutting and splicing it all over again. ??? might have to get another piece of wire and extend it first...?

·
Vendor
717 Posts
Yeah the plugs are square end. I wouldn't have more than one splice in it, just cut off your old splice up the harness a way, extend the wire and if you can, solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing over the splice. If you can't solder it, use a good butt connector and still use heat shrink tubing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the plugs are square end. I wouldn't have more than one splice in it, just cut off your old splice up the harness a way, extend the wire and if you can, solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing over the splice. If you can't solder it, use a good butt connector and still use heat shrink tubing.
Oh, I mean't I ended up cutting and stripping the main wire acouple times once I got that terminal on. the wire is short, and those wires are not very forgiving, their pretty stiff... and I know if I cut that current terminal off and put on the right one, it will be even shorter. There would be like acouple of inches or so missing from original length... I might have to splice a new wire and use shrink tubing like you said... And I will solder everything good. I'll get around to getting getting the pin out and take it to a shop... Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts