Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’ve been searching and have come across many different tips, tricks and methods on how and when to use our 4x4 hi/low and electronic locker. I don’t have a manual and wanted to get all the information into one page!

I would like to hear your methods for climbing, cruising, mud, snow, hills and trails, stuck and what speeds to engage/disengage.

I’ve done trial and error and used my diff lock in deep snow when stuck. Needless to say my grizzly ate a front axle pretty quick lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whether right or wrong, I use Diff lock when either A: I'm already stuck in 4hi/lo, or B: when I'm coming up on something I know I have a good chance of high centering in. I.E. rutted up mud holes. Hill climbing, If it's loose stuff, but relatively smooth all the way up, if I believe it's too steep, I'll put it in 4HI and get a decent run at whatever it is I'm going up. Otherwise I keep it in two. I NEVER put diff lock on when Hill climbing, So if I need to maneuver part way up the hill, I'm not fighting it. If it's bumpy/ rocky on the way up, I'll just use low and crawl up. That's just how I ride, others probably have different/better ways of doing it :)

Reactions: AdamB88

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The area I ride in is hilly and rocky. When I’m going down a step loose hill I put it in 4x4 so I have both rear and front engine braking. This keeps the rear from sliding around and the drive train from chattering.

·
Vendor
717 Posts
The diff lock is used typically to get yourself out of sticky situations. Lots of folks use in for deep mud especially if it's a straight run, myself included. To engage it, you want to come to a stop or a very slow roll. Never try and engage it under throttle or heavy load.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diff lock is used typically to get yourself out of sticky situations. Lots of folks use in for deep mud especially if it's a straight run, myself included. To engage it, you want to come to a stop or a very slow roll. Never try and engage it under throttle or heavy load.

Would you want to avoid turning sharp while using the diff lock ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Only time I use Diff. lock is when I am pulling a load of wood with a small lawn cart/trailer. One time when using it I was pulling the cart through a muddy field with it loaded with wood, only after I got it to the barn did I notice the cart's tires had loaded up so bad with mud and weren't turning that the Grizz was actually dragging the loaded cart through the field. Pretty impressed I was.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts

With the diff locked, the inside tire will push against the turn direction as it is rotating to cover the same distance (circumference) as the outside tire. Pulling up hill in diff lock can get dangerous fast.
Be ready when using diff lock. In snow I've used it going fast enough to activate the rev limiter. Once the grizz was on top, I wasn't going to slow to let the system unlock.
I suggest using it on dirt roads for practice, then play (experiment) with it on trails in differing conditions before jumping into a hole. I avoid using diff lock on pavement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the diff locked, the inside tire will push against the turn direction as it is rotating to cover the same distance (circumference) as the outside tire. Pulling up hill in diff lock can get dangerous fast.
Be ready when using diff lock. In snow I've used it going fast enough to activate the rev limiter. Once the grizz was on top, I wasn't going to slow to let the system unlock.
I suggest using it on dirt roads for practice, then play (experiment) with it on trails in differing conditions before jumping into a hole. I avoid using diff lock on pavement.

Thanks for that piece of info. That must be what helped me snap my axle. I was turning and rocking my atv for traction... wheel dug in and then the axle snapped

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I use diff lock often enough. If I've managed to get myself stuck is an obvious one. If I'm not sure what's under unfamiliar water's or swamps, or skeg. Even going up some nasty slimy slippery grades where 4wd struggles, I'll use lock. Another thing is my bike is always stoped before engaging diff lock and I only use it in Low range.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
I only use diff lock if I'me stuck or deep mud. Always heard diff lock = axle breakage so I only use it when absolutely necessary. Front axles are stock with over 1800 miles of hard riding on them.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yup, just when it's real slippery, like snow or greasy mud.

·
Vendor
717 Posts

What Ridgway said is on point, I'd practice using the diff lock on safe ground until you get used to it. Don't use it on pavement and try to keep the wheels straight if possible when using it especially under heavy throttle or load.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Doesn't a rev limiter kick into play as well ? When is that a factor to consider (reverse AND 4 wheel lock?) ?
Do you use the over-ride button ? or have you deactivated it permanently (and why) ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts