Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a old thread but my 4x4 switch was starting to cycle when you turned the key on every now and then, you could hear the diff engage than disengage but the 4x4 icon would not light up, would do it on first start up every now and then also, was starting to get worst, so I pulled the switch apart today and there was some black stuff on some of the contacts also over kill on the electrical grease inside where the contacts were, this might have been part of the problem also, just a light skim is all that is needed, no signs of corrosion, cleaned every thing up nice and shiny put back together everything seems to be working as it should, no more 4x4 cycling on its own, not as bad of a job to do as I thought. 4800km

Reactions: Leannejason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing.... I'll follow your advice.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Believe there is a recall on the switch, I cleaned mine and it seems to be ok, I need to pursue the recall switch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my entire switch fixed via recall...cleaning it only delays the problem happening again...

Reactions: DrMud

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my entire switch fixed via recall...cleaning it only delays the problem happening again...
Yeah.. kind of a quick fix not sure how long this fix will last, Not sure if it is just a few Grizzlys that are covered under the recall or certain dates and years when your Grizz was built are the only ones covered by the recall, thought I seen this talked about somewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
just call a dealer and give them your vin#, they will then tell you...from what I remember the early 2016 model runs had the issue...

Reactions: griz7 and DrMud

·
Vendor
717 Posts
Fellows, definitely a common issue. Most of the time it can be fixed by cleaning the switch.
Either way, if cleaning it or not fixes it would call the dealer to see if you particular bike is affected. You could keep the new switch they'll give you as a spare if anything. Here is the verbiage from the technical bulletin.
Yamaha 4wd Push Button Switch Technical Bulletin ? 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair

Safety Bulletin:
2012-2015 YFM550/700 (“Grizzly 550/700”); Certain 2016 YFM70K (“Kodiak 700”); Certain 2016 YFM70G (“Grizzly”) Models – 2WD/4WD Intermittently Acuates at Start-up or Idle.

The button return springs inside the Handle 1 switch have weakened, allowing intermittent switch contact at start-up or idle. Internal protection circuits prevent On-Command system mode changes while the unit is under way.

Solution: New switches have a stiffer-rate return springs to counter vibration and eliminate the possibility of intermittent contact that causes these On Command 4WD system mode changes.

Potentially Affected Models:
2012-2015 YFM550/700 (“Grizzly 550/700”); Certain 2016 YFM70K (“Kodiak 700”); Certain 2016 YFM70G (“Grizzly”) Models. Call with your VIN number to see if your machine is affected by this recall.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2014 700 does this. I took the switch apart at 30 hours and cleaned up and greased it with dialetric grease. 15 hours later it's doing it again, but not as frequent. I went into my dealer in BC, Canada, and got denied. They said no recall on the switch with my VIN. Pissed me off. Maybe i can find another spring to install.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2014 700 does this. I took the switch apart at 30 hours and cleaned up and greased it with dialetric grease. 15 hours later it's doing it again, but not as frequent. I went into my dealer in BC, Canada, and got denied. They said no recall on the switch with my VIN. Pissed me off. Maybe i can find another spring to install.
That doesn't seem right, its equipment failure with faulty parts, Yamaha knows there is a problem that's why there's a recall, I for one find it hard to believe that Yamaha used a different switch in yours to not justify you not being part of the recall, contact Yamaha directly, please let us know what they say and how they address your switch problem. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
And let Yami know, that the largest Yami grizz forum knows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2014 grizzly 700 is definitely affected. I'll ask the dealer locally here in Chilliwack B.C. to see what they say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been meaning to call a dealership to see if there is a recall on that contact. I have been having the same problem with mine with only 230 miles on a 2014. I have cleaned it twice and that seems to work for that days usage. Trying to get it fixed to sell it. I'll try your grease trick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got denied at my local dealer in BC Canada. I then contacted Yamaha Canada and here’s what they wrote
“Good morning Michael!

I am afraid the warranty on the unit expired in December 2015 however I’ve did check to see if there is any outstanding recalls, bulletin or tech tips attributed to this but, there is nothing. You can always ask the dealership if they can check by contacting their Yamaha territory service manager for possible assistance.

Sincerely,
Remi”

What a joke. I known issue and they flat out deny me. I hope you guys have better luck than I did

Reactions: Leannejason

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
The link to the recall notice seems broken, can this be relinked? I have two machines affected by this now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I followed the advice of skeetermx1825 and called the local dealer yesterday. Gave them the vin# and he said there is a bulletin out for mine. He will order the parts and call when the come in. So they will fix it!

·
Vendor
717 Posts
The link to the recall notice seems broken, can this be relinked? I have two machines affected by this now.
Dr Mud,

Are you referring to this link? It's working on my end.
Yamaha 4wd Push Button Switch Technical Bulletin ? 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair

Most customers we've dealt with have had the best luck calling or going to the dealer with knowledge of the technical bulletin and their VIN number handy. If you're VIN falls into that affected model range, there is no reason you shouldn't walk out with a new switch. If your bike is affected and they won't give you a switch, let them know you'll be contacting Corporate Yamaha to file a complaint.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Thanks ole blue, I just pdf filed this to my ipad, will talk to local dealer which unfortunately is 60 miles away.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Im looking at a 2015 grizzly that has the 4wd button that is doing the same thing. After a little google searching I found there is a Technical bulletin that says from 2012-2016 that was issued Febuary 2017. Being I am new and dont have 10 post yet it wont let me post a pic of the tech bulletin but it can be found on 501 parts . com

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts