Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i thought it was working fine, but i seem to be having a problem starting the grizz.

2001 Grizzly 600

So here's what has happened

Got the grizz all put back together and the only thing left to do was add some air to the two front tires, drove the bike about 50 ft around the car to get to the other side of the garage to my air compressor and while it was idling it stalled and i have not been able to get it running since ---except for ONCE about a day later while the bike had sat it started and ran for about 30 seconds and then once again stalled and has not started, it just keeps turning over.

I know the electrical is good, the battery is fully charged, the plug is literally brand new on it, and the gas is brand new and coming out of the gas line. The carb has just been cleaned by a small engine guy who knows his stuff pretty good, or at least i had hoped so lol!!!!

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the float bowl thingy inside?? could it possibly be sticking??

Also while the bike was first idling it was idling a bit fast, and therefore would not go into gear without a big clunk and i didn't want that to happen so i adjusted the thumb screw thing on the side of the carb to slow it down a bit...could this be an issue??? if so how do i know how to readjust it back to a normal proper setting??????

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated, i was so happy that the grizz was rurally running, and now it seems that's not the case grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT UNTIL I CAN AFFORD A NEW BIKE WITH EFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The thumb screw you adjusted is just for the idle. It only moves the stop for the throttle plate on the carb and will not effect it from actually starting.

And if you think EFI will be easier and cheaper to troubleshoot when things go wrong, you might want to rethink that.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
To see if you have a carb issue or spark issue, remove the air filter and use a spray bottle to spray gas in the intake when the bike is cranking. If it starts you have a carb problem. If it still does not start, you have a spark issue.

WARNING. This can be extremely dangerous and flammable. Caution should be taken seriously.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To see if you have a carb issue or spark issue, remove the air filter and use a spray bottle to spray gas in the intake when the bike is cranking. If it starts you have a carb problem. If it still does not start, you have a spark issue.

WARNING. This can be extremely dangerous and flammable. Caution should be taken seriously.
So even though it was running previously it could still be an issue with spark???
I will try spraying gas as well!!!

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
So even though it was running previously it could still be an issue with spark???
I will try spraying gas as well!!!
Yes most definitely could still be a problem. That's why electrical problems can be hard to diagnose sometimes. Intermittent problems are the worst.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check the primary resistance and secondary resistance on the coil to the plug, in the manual I sent you, check the pulse coil resistance, check the stater resistance, last thing is the CDI,no test for CDI unfortunately, on ebay now for $99.00. Mine was intermittent, use a impact gun for the crank shaft bolt,you can put a screw driver between the two openings of the pull start cog the 600 grizzly is known for the little pulse coil by the stater,the three Phillips screws are loctite in for the stater, use a impact screw driver , you may have to apply heat from a solder gun on the screws to get them loose,you can also heat the phillips bit with the torch 3 to 4 times and it will transfer heat to the screws,same with the pulse coil,you will have to heat the screws to remove them. Apply loctite to reassemble on all screws for the stater and pulse coil (5), put on a new side cover gasket and fill in the notch where the rubber grommet goes with high temp RTV,in the manual it shows where to apply the RTV in the slots,if everything checks out ,the other cause is the wire harness runs along the frame by the gas tank, only about a half inch from the muffler guard, mine was burnt there after hours and hours of searching for the cause and replacing cdi cause it was intermittent, burnt grounded out wires are a number one cause.make sure you Torque all the bolts when you put back together,very important I think the crank shaft bolt is 36 ft lbs, the manual I sent you has all the torque specs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pull out the spark plug, reattach the plug wire on the plug, lay the plug threads against the head,with the start switch on,crank over the motor, you should see a spark between the electrode on the plug, you can also buy at the local auto parts store a spark tester, one end goes in the plug boot and the other on the spark plug,make sure the spark plug is tightened in the cylinder head, it has a little light in it that will light or spark on and off if your getting spark ,if your not getting spark NO light will appear, it only costs about 10.00 bucks.If the atv starts with the spark tester on the atv,let it run to see if you lose spark.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Well i thought it was working fine, but i seem to be having a problem starting the grizz.

2001 Grizzly 600

So here's what has happened

Got the grizz all put back together and the only thing left to do was add some air to the two front tires, drove the bike about 50 ft around the car to get to the other side of the garage to my air compressor and while it was idling it stalled and i have not been able to get it running since ---except for ONCE about a day later while the bike had sat it started and ran for about 30 seconds and then once again stalled and has not started, it just keeps turning over.

I know the electrical is good, the battery is fully charged, the plug is literally brand new on it, and the gas is brand new and coming out of the gas line. The carb has just been cleaned by a small engine guy who knows his stuff pretty good, or at least i had hoped so lol!!!!

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the float bowl thingy inside?? could it possibly be sticking??

Also while the bike was first idling it was idling a bit fast, and therefore would not go into gear without a big clunk and i didn't want that to happen so i adjusted the thumb screw thing on the side of the carb to slow it down a bit...could this be an issue??? if so how do i know how to readjust it back to a normal proper setting??????

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated, i was so happy that the grizz was rurally running, and now it seems that's not the case grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT UNTIL I CAN AFFORD A NEW BIKE WITH EFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree , it could be your float not working properly.. If the carb was just messed with , good chance something is a bit out of whack. could be that when you had your tank up , a chunk of shit got shook loose into the fuel line ?
I would check the fuel system first. DOUBLE CHECK YOU HAVE THE BOOTS ON BOTH SIDES OF CARB ALL THE WAY ,, NO LEAKS !

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for the help, i will try all these suggestions, i guess i'll start from simplest and go from there.
Busy with work, but hopefully i can get to look at it over the weekend.

I will keep you guys posted though for sure!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts