Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my grizz up and saw that gas was leaking from the overflow. I took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the needle, needle seat, and set the floats to 13mm.

Put it back together and it still leaked.

I proceeded to take it apart again, clean it and replaced the float (set to 13mm). Once again, it started leaking.

I am at a total loss! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
You can put clear rubber tube on the overflow and hold it up to see the gas level in the carb. to inspect the float height.
Check for gas in the oil before starting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the tube. It just continues to fill up. I even set the float to 14.5mm instead of the recommended 13mm, but it still would overflow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even though the float should stop the flow of fuel check to see it the petcock actually stops the flow of fuel when turned off. I know this won't help well its running but it is something to check.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My dad's bruin was doing this. It turned out to be the o-ring around the brass fitting that the float needle seats in. It just got brittle and cracked. You could check that I guess

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though the float should stop the flow of fuel check to see it the petcock actually stops the flow of fuel when turned off. I know this won't help well its running but it is something to check.
The petcock works. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad's bruin was doing this. It turned out to be the o-ring around the brass fitting that the float needle seats in. It just got brittle and cracked. You could check that I guess
That is one of the items I replaced, but I rechecked it and found that it was not leaking. Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
You've completely changed out the needle seat and O-ring. Reset the float bowl level. Not a whole lot left. Did you make sure the floats did not have any fluid/leaks in them? I think you can weigh them but not sure of weight. While your in there you just may want to take the rubber O-ring off the needle/valve assembly and clean under it (I know it's new) funnier things have happened.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've completely changed out the needle seat and O-ring. Reset the float bowl level. Not a whole lot left. Did you make sure the floats did not have any fluid/leaks in them? I think you can weigh them but not sure of weight. While your in there you just may want to take the rubber O-ring off the needle/valve assembly and clean under it (I know it's new) funnier things have happened.
I checked to original floats and they seemed to be fine, but I replace it anyways.

I thought I covered all possibilities, but nothing has worked.

That's why I'm at a total loss! I was hoping someone could point out something I missed or overlooked.

I will pull it again tonight and clean it again. I'll recheck the o-rings also.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Tried the tube. It just continues to fill up. I even set the float to 14.5mm instead of the recommended 13mm, but it still would overflow.

The float not floating seems to be your problem if you change the float height but the fuel level does not change or shut off.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
That is what I thought, so I replaced the float with a brand new OEM float.
I guess the valve is not part of the float set-up.
I haven't had to deal with this on mine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
this can happen with a bad needle seat. Like the main jet needle seat. I put my dad's in upside down and it leaked a little too, not like when the o ring was out, but it was still leaking. Also i have seen a overflow tube come loose, and it leaked out of were the copper tube went down into carb bowl. A little rtv fixed that up right up

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll check the o-rings. I know the overflow tube is okay. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay.... Took it apart and cleaned everything again! Replace the needle seat o-ring and the main jet o-ring. It doesn't leak anymore! Hopefully it will stay that way!

Thanks to all that replied with their thought and ideas!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
BigAITX- Thanks for reporting back, glad you got it fixed. May have been the floats, who knows. I've never had a problem with my 2004 660. I always turn the gas off and let the engine run out of gas, then put her up. Longer storage (winter) I use stabill and she always fires right up in the spring. Ethanol gas is hard on all of the O-rings and with no gas in the carb I don't have to worry about the gas gumming up the pilot or needle and seat. May help you in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts