Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 660 and tossing around some idea’s for the clutch on it. The rollers are toast, worn horribly and only weigh in around 11-13 grams. My buddy has stock weights from his 2017 grizz would they work? I’m also looking at an EPI clutch kit, anyone know what spring comes in the kit and how much the weights weigh? Another option I found of Amazon is some Chinese weights( I know ya get what ya pay for but I need the parts soon) and it says they fit 660 rhinos so I’m also thinking just buy them and a epi purple spring. Lots of questions I know, just tossing ideas around really. All info is appreciated, I attached some pictures of the Chinese weights
Automotive tire Product Wheel Camera accessory Font
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Bicycle part

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You can buy oem yamaha weights for 80- 90$ canadian. Why bother with cheap crap from china?

Your buddy's weights will work. They are 18 gram weights. Your 660 came with 18 gram weights from the factory originally

Purple spring is a good option as well as the addition of shims.

Stay away front EPI kits, they are over priced rip offs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy oem yamaha weights for 80- 90$ canadian. Why bother with cheap crap from china?

Your buddy's weights will work. They are 18 gram weights. Your 660 came with 18 gram weights from the factory originally

Purple spring is a good option as well as the addition of shims.

Stay away front EPI kits, they are over priced rip offs.
Alright thanks man, I have 1.5” shims right now but the weights are beyond shot so I really need them. Only thought about the China ones were I’m going on a trip this weekend and need them ASAP. I’m gonna put my buddys weights in and a purple spring, should be like a new machine after that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What’s everyone think about a secondary spring from a 2017 grizzly in a 2003 660? Would it be an upgrade? It’s definitely taller sitting beside it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yes it will be. The 700 have stiffer springs then the 660s. Only reason i know is the 660 had the same spring as my privious 09 550

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it will be. The 700 have stiffer springs then the 660s. Only reason i know is the 660 had the same spring as my privious 09 550
Thanks again man, I just can’t believe they didn’t change much in the clutches in that many years. This thing is gonna fly now I feel like haha.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
The 660 has 18 gr weight, the 700 has 20 gr. weights.
Those ***** weights don't look right, I would stay away from them.
The 700 spring is one step heavier than the stock 660 spring.
Also, these systems are very sensitive to same change so changing one part will change the feel of your bikes performance. Be prepared to do more work if the mod bug gets you, the system can be much better with a little time and a few new parts.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The 660 has 18 gr weight, the 700 has 20 gr. weights.
His buddy's weights he wants to run are from a 2017 grizzly. The same 18 gram weights as my 2019 grizzly.

20 gram are 2007 to 2015 grizzly 700

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I weighed them with my scale, they’re 18. My stock ones were 11-13 because they were wore down so much. Previous owner did zero maintenance to this quad.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
His buddy's weights he wants to run are from a 2017 grizzly. The same 18 gram weights as my 2019 grizzly.

20 gram are 2007 to 2015 grizzly 700
With covers? I was not focused on the new weights, but the weight of his used worn weights and guess I missed something....considering how weights could be 13 gr. and still work, kind'a. Now thinking back on the only '17' I worked with, we didn't mess with the weights. Its good you caught the error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I finally got around to getting the bike all back together. So with the weights and spring from the 700 and a 1.5” shim what do you think my top speed will be? I know a lot of variables can come into play but just a guess, I’m running 27” zillas and I don’t miss any meals haha. I hit 75k on the road today and ran out of road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update, I got it up to 82k but that was it. Not sure if it’s because of the shims or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts