Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
660 Grizzly
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain I already know the bad news outcome I'm about to confirm, but since I'm new to these bikes, I figured wth let's see if anyone else has any ideas.

Daughter was riding her grizzly around yesterday when it started popping and barking, not running great. Took a quick look at it and think it's fuel-line related, I curved it a little too long and it finally pinched leaving the petcock, not enough fuel flow.

Fixed that real quick, she rides around just a little longer parks it in the yard goes back to crank it a few minutes later and it won't turn over. Starter hits, but that's it. I haven't load-tested the battery but it's new-ish and never gave me any issue.

Go to grab the recoil rope justincase it's the battery, and I can't roll the motor over at all. I'm afraid I'm about to pop the rope, almost lifting the bike up. This now has me worrying the motor is locked up somehow.

Pull the dipstick and there's a lot of "oil" on it. Real thin. I thought the carb had an external drain, if the needle/float were to ever overrun, but it appears the excess fuel has instead made its way into the crankcase. Thinned the oil out too much, locked up the motor.

I'm going to double-check the battery, and pull the spark plug, just to see if I can get the motor to roll over, but I'm not expecting good news. Thoughts?

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Remove the left side cover and starter recoil to turn the engine with a wrench.
What does the plug look like?

· Registered
660 Grizzly
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the left side cover and starter recoil to turn the engine with a wrench.
What does the plug look like?
Thank you for reminding me, I was going to go into the belt box and see if I could manually roll the motor over via the primary clutch/ bolt.

You're saying the recoil side has enough meat to work with? Usually those bolts are undersized, is why I ask.

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Thank you for reminding me, I was going to go into the belt box and see if I could manually roll the motor over via the primary clutch/ bolt.

You're saying the recoil side has enough meat to work with? Usually those bolts are undersized, is why I ask.
On the c.v.t. side the one-way locks to the crank in only one direction of rotation, as for the other side and meat I use a hand impact driver AND you can turn/rock the crank in both directions with a socket.

• Helpful
Reactions: GrizzlyTwins

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Oh yeah, it's been "making oil"
Don't run until you fix the issue and change the oil.
If the carb needle and seat are probably stuck open dirt or rubber from the fuel line or the petcock gasket.

Reactions: GrizzlyTwins
1 - 8 of 8 Posts