Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
new here & bought my 02-03 (not sure) 660 about a year ago. Im a big yamaha fan but I'm really starting to HATE gorilla axles.

I have researched online & tried almost all tricks to get that axle out with no luck.

Probably doesn't help i injured my left hand and have limited use with it.

Done all the tricks i could find online to get it out. If i slam anything any harder i think it will just break the Diff. I tried a common bearing puller tool but its too small. Maybe there are some puller/pusher type tools out there that might work?

Another question, before I even attempt this, can I get the diff out of the frame with the left side axle intact? I tried it loosely and seemed like that was a 'no-go'

Love the ATV, and family uses it a lot & can't wait to plow some snow around this winter.

TIA for any advice!

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
There are some helpful threads in the GC FAQ

Specifically for your issue is a link to a video that has a method almost always recommended to try. Since you didn't specifically state you tried this method, give this video a look.

Reactions: daloof

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will clarify what I have done so far.

First I tried just yanking it out by grabbing the axle with my hand & pulling as hard as I could (I'm a fairly big/strong) guy. Pulled so hard that my shoulder was sore, did it many times & rotated the wheel every now & then between pulls.

Secondly I tried to hammer it out, placed a thick tire mounting bar through the Diff hole & used a 10b large sledge hammer. Hit it so hard I almost knocked ATV over while my 6' buddy was holding it on the other side. Also rotated the wheels couple times in between.

Thirdly I tried using a gear puller/pusher that I bolted using the Diff cover bolt holes, however, the puller was just short so it wasn't 100% secured and I was also afraid to ruin the diff cover holes since its aluminum.....

any other ideas guys?

I understand that the old gorilla axles would pop out, but making ones that NEVER come out is almost a worse solution to the problem... This thing is driving me nuts!

BTW & FYI - It's the rear left axle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Specifically for your issue is a link to a video that has a method almost always recommended to try. Since you didn't specifically state you tried this method, give this video a look.
appreciate the reply.

I wonder is a 10b slide hammer would work any differently than the 10lb sledge hammer technique I already used...

·
Premium Member
10,155 Posts
Slide hammer or rope and hammer is about the same thing. Its a moving force against a stationary object.
I think the rope helps cushion the force.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slide hammer or rope and hammer is about the same thing. Its a moving force against a stationary object.
I think the rope helps cushion the force.
Yea, that is kind of what I was thinking.... So just keep hammering away & hope the diff housing doesn't crack?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Was there water in there? If there was any sign of rust at all I'd soak some pb-blaster on there for awhile, they can get in a bit of a bind sometimes but shouldn't be stuck enough to crack the housing

·
Premium Member
10,155 Posts
Yea, that is kind of what I was thinking.... So just keep hammering away & hope the diff housing doesn't crack?
Its no good the way it is, and pulling or pushing you still have to get over the high side of the bind.
I was considering these axles until I found information on this problem, but I don't remember anyone breaking their housing with the rope/hammer technique either.
I would double check that the diff is tight to the frame if you're slamming it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was there water in there? If there was any sign of rust at all I'd soak some pb-blaster on there for awhile, they can get in a bit of a bind sometimes but shouldn't be stuck enough to crack the housing
No sign of water & other axle i pulled was nice & greasy.... but i'll blast it today & let soak, can't hurt....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its no good the way it is, and pulling or pushing you still have to get over the high side of the bind.
I was considering these axles until I found information on this problem, but I don't remember anyone breaking their housing with the rope/hammer technique either.
I would double check that the diff is tight to the frame if you're slamming it.
I took it off when using the puller but will tighten it back on, will also put strap downs on frame before I start whacking at it again.

Guys, is it super important to specifically do a quarter turn on the axle in-between whacks or just moving it around in general will do?

thx for all the help so far....

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
There are some helpful threads in the GC FAQ

Specifically for your issue is a link to a video that has a method almost always recommended to try. Since you didn't specifically state you tried this method, give this video a look. Axel removal
Just a few months ago I used this trick and it worked great!! Yes I also tried a few other ways before this with no luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried the rope/sledge hammer technique for about 15 minutes, full swings, rotated axle, repeat... still in there... man

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
I hate to suggest this as I would be wary of a potential bad outcome... but applying some heat to the axle for a bit and then letting it cool. Problem would be the axle grease and the boot and maybe having to replace those. I am uncertain how that may effect a seal on the diff though as it may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Have you tried pushing the axle in first? Sometimes the clip gets jammed and pushing it in re centers the clip and it pulls right out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to suggest this as I would be wary of a potential bad outcome... but applying some heat to the axle for a bit and then letting it cool. Problem would be the axle grease and the boot and maybe having to replace those. I am uncertain how that may effect a seal on the diff though as it may not be a good idea.
Im blowing this axle up, actually I'm gonna take it out & test out my new suppressor on it after I get it out! :icon_ goofy:

So I'm not worried about messing up the boot or anything on the axle..... I'd prefer to not buy a new Diff though!

·
Registered
94 Posts
axle removal

being new to grizzlies not sure if it would work ,but in the automotive area they have a tool that look similar to a tuning fork put it between axle and diff.basically pry it out. something to consider once you get the axle out,remove the ring on the end of the axle. it is an assembly aid,once the hub is on and axle nut installed wher is it going to go?

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
being new to grizzlies not sure if it would work ,but in the automotive area they have a tool that look similar to a tuning fork put it between axle and diff.basically pry it out. something to consider once you get the axle out,remove the ring on the end of the axle. it is an assembly aid,once the hub is on and axle nut installed wher is it going to go?
You talking about a ball joint fork? Unfortunately the frizz rear axle has a cover that goes over the gap between the diff & axle, so there is nowhere to put that fork into otherwise i would have tried that. thx though!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts