Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
660 what works?

Howdy, Got a 2004 and I really want to tear into it, but I would like to ask a few questions and save some money using your knowledge and experiences so I don't end up saying ah f*c% me.

I'd like to just stay on one thread easier for me to find so if I ask something and it's been posted surely feel free to point me in that direction and I will do my best to locate the info first.

I'm no mechanic by any means so plenty of pictures and videos really help. Love youtube, I figure you guys done it all and this is my first atv so I kinda don't want to screw it up.

If I had to give a first time buyer advice it would be check your local laws first. I'm country and living in a city just sucks when it comes to not being able to do all the redneck shit your use to. Think I need a couple more post before I can add pictures.

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to get some magnetic drain plugs is there a post with the dimensions or anyone have them?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Hey...BlindJax...
Start by learning to search the site. But don't hesitate to ask either.
Use this in google site grizzlycentral replace this works with what you are looking for like this..

site grizzlycentral 660 brake repair

site grizzlycentral 660 frontdriveshaft

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey...BlindJax...
Start by learning to search the site. But don't hesitate to ask either.
Use this in google site grizzlycentral replace this works with what you are looking for like this..

site grizzlycentral 660 brake repair

site grizzlycentral 660 frontdriveshaft
Thank you reogem, Yeah I do a lot of searching what I find my problem is I don't know the terminology or part names and it takes me a bit longer to find everything. Like my jeep I was looking for the thing that holds the head lights in come to find out it's called a header panel "search lots of google pictures" I called it everything but that,lol. Same for my ram although I was lucky enough to find a parts catalog so I could cross reference the numbers and stay away from lazy dealership parts departments.

Now I'm worried I'll strip them, yehaw.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
stood the bike up today to take a look see and this axle bearing seems to be shot I just don't know the name of it. In the picture it is the joint going towards the front of the bike into front differential.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I found it all
2004 Yamaha GRIZZLY 660 (YFM660FS) Front Differential | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

anyone confirm this? and whats the most likely problem?

Thanks.
Found a write up

http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-chassis-body/12246-cv-front-drive-shaft-fix-03-660-a.html

If I have to go that far any you ole timers have some advice and upgrades mods I should do while there? I seen the vent line mod, sure wish there was a video. But least I know now what I am looking for.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Think I found it all
2004 Yamaha GRIZZLY 660 (YFM660FS) Front Differential | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

anyone confirm this? and whats the most likely problem?

Thanks.
When I repaired my front shaft I replaced the front diff seal
Besides the shaft assembly you will need parts 6,8,9
you will also need part 14

Found a write up

http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-chassis-body/12246-cv-front-drive-shaft-fix-03-660-a.html

If I have to go that far any you ole timers have some advice and upgrades mods I should do while there? I seen the vent line mod, sure wish there was a video. But least I know now what I am looking for.

Thanks.
Welding an extension on the engine side coupling is one way to repair the issue with the shaft being too short. However you need specialized equipment and skills.

Simplest repair is to elongate the frame side diff mounting holes ¼" toward the engine with a round file or a roto grinder.
took me less than 20 minutes with a file.
This allows the diff to slide toward the engine taking up the slack.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I repaired my front shaft I replaced the front diff seal
Besides the shaft assembly you will need parts 6,8,9
you will also need part 14

Welding an extension on the engine side coupling is one way to repair the issue with the shaft being too short. However you need specialized equipment and skills.

Simplest repair is to elongate the frame side diff mounting holes ¼" toward the engine with a round file or a roto grinder.
took me less than 20 minutes with a file.
This allows the diff to slide toward the engine taking up the slack.
Thank you reogem, I can run a file fairly well. Can you recommend a manual I'm interested in the Clymer but if there is a better one?

Could I get lucky and not have to replace the shaft #36 or is it just good practice to swap it out?

If I have too or should, you think this company can provide the correct one?

DRIVESHAFT, YAMAHA GRIZZLY 660 - Yamaha PartDiscounter

Seem this is an issue lots of folks went through I'm curious why an aftermarket company hasn't added that 1/4 inch to the shaft and jacked up the price.

Number 8 o-ring do you know the size by chance?

Do I need a special tool for #9 oil seal or is it pull out and maybe tap, tap, tap new one back in?

You remember what size is nut #7

Could I do most this work with the bike sitting on the back rack? When I had it up I thought I could, hope so.

Sure do appreciate your time and help. When I was younger I had the confidence to just tear into this stuff now I'm older I forget and that gets costly.

Thank you

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gold Plug LLC ? Magnetic Drain Plugs

They work, you should change all 3.
Thank you PA. Grizzly, Do you have any part numbers I think I looked them up through a picture I found here and something didn't match up maybe oem part number to their will fit number.

When I had the bike up I surely was looking for these plugs and only found two front differential I believe 6mm and rear differential 5mm not sure where the other is!

Again Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Look it up on their site, put in year, brand, model, etc. and it should give you the part #

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take a look on line there are different manuals that you can download
Roger that desrat thanks, I have a Tecspark pdf service manual on my tablet. I Was just wondering if there was a step by step like Haynes, Chilton, Clymer, Yamaha that you guy have found to be better illustrated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look it up on their site, put in year, brand, model, etc. and it should give you the part #
I did and what threw me was the model YFM66. The other is terminology Yamaha says drive shaft, others say rear differential so being new to all this that threw me off in finding part numbers.

Also was looking for three hex head screws for the drains so when gold asked if it was for engine that threw me off. Tell ya it plays hard on folks when someone like me comes into their shop and ask if they have a do hickey for a whatcha ma call it.

I like to DIY a lot of stuff. Give example course at the time when I was fixing my 1965 rotor tiller I had no idea these names but the freeze plug fell out of my carburetor so headed to the HW store ended up with a Pronged M4 t-nut and a rubber stop and washer and bolt made my own plug been in the tiller 5 years now and tell ya most these cats that they hire are no help.

If I can confirm handle bars at the grips is 7/8s I may try this idea for some hand covers or such. Found this link when looking for magnetic bolts kinda seems worth while. What you think?

Oil Filter Magnet by GWR saves fuel, increases enging life, reduces wear, reduces oil change intervals. Patented magnet fit inside oil filter and saves fuel.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
I bought the 660 driveshaft from Partsdiscounter. Have been holding up as good as the OEM.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
blind...I've forgot this on every post. I'm losing it I guess.
You can use the same google search syntax to find you posts on the forum.
Site grizzlycentral BlindJax

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the 660 driveshaft from Partsdiscounter. Have been holding up as good as the OEM.
Thanks, yeah that's a good price. On my old shaft if all the splines are good nothing bent missing, do you think it wise to use it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
blind...I've forgot this on every post. I'm losing it I guess.
You can use the same google search syntax to find you posts on the forum.
Site grizzlycentral BlindJax
Yeah I'm kinda strange O.C.D so I like it all in one area. I know it will be a down fall but as much as I don't know what I am doing, this way I can keep my mess in one thread,lol.

Did you see that link for the in filter magnates. Think I will order some next week and give it a try also found a youtube vid on making your own magnetic drain plugs. I'm going to try that too once I figure those lengths.

I'll take all advice good or constructive. If I can spend 5 to save 13 plus shipping I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

Oh I know someone said buy the bands first then buy the tool for them but I'm looking at these tools.

I like this one but could see it being bulky trying to fix on the fly.
https://www.otctools.com/products/cv-joint-banding-tool-and-cutter

This one just looks cheesy but you can pick it up for a couple bucks and am sure it works just would it work with me.

Norrec Industries - Hex Banding Tool Instructions

May get both. In your experience what would be better?

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
I only use norrec boots. One norrec boot fits every cv on a 700,660,450
The norrec boot comes with the bands, grease and the little tool to tighten the bands. The tools work well.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts