Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Fuel flooded crankcase is almost always a stuck flat needle with the fuel shut off open.
Most times just draining the oil and changing the filter is enough. It is a good idea to set a bucket under both left wheels for a few hours then do the right side. Then set it flat for a few hours. Do all of this with the drain plug out There are areas in the crankcase that may not drain otherwise.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Thank you, It's been sitting a couple days drained and without the drain plug and dipstick in it, I might pull spark plug and let it sit outside for a bit. Seemed it leaked a ways back because I started to shut the fuel flow off when I wasn't using so I'm guessing this is the end result of something else as well. That smiley face gasket maybe, more like angry,lol

https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/500390a5f870021f60a0d04b/fuel-tank

Number 8
VALVE PACKING 3AC-24523-00-00

The flat needle you mentioned I don't seem to see it anywhere, is it called something else? Unless this is what your talking about? NEEDLE SET 5KM-1490J-00-00

I've bought from these folks before, I could rebuild but I think it might be easier to replace and have a spare maybe? What's your opinion?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EEVIR4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QEAIM7YYCNN4&psc=1

I sure do appreciate your knowledge and time reogem wish there was a way to pay my gratitude.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Rotate the piece the cable attaches to counter clockwise. With the tension off of it you can use a pocket screw driver or pick to unhook the cable.
Thanks. Using my phone couldn't find the thank you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rotate the piece the cable attaches to counter clockwise. With the tension off of it you can use a pocket screw driver or pick to unhook the cable.
Near as I can tell, thank yous, likes, and such can only be seen on a PC, not a phone. Can't give thanks, or even SEE likes on a phone. (I'm in the same boat. I have to check back with my tablet, which is set for PC mode.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Near as I can tell, thank yous, likes, and such can only be seen on a PC, not a phone. Can't give thanks, or even SEE likes on a phone. (I'm in the same boat. I have to check back with my tablet, which is set for PC mode.)

Yeah I'm just starting 2 use phone 4 more then calls, I like this site and the folks here. I started this post just so I could keep my rants in 1 spot and work out mistakes b4 I made them, I'm digging the phone,lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Guess I should have said clockwise. With the tension off of the cable.
No worries I got it. Pick worked great pretty easy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
PDF

Thought I would try and see if I could post Valve Clearance pdf. I could not post with 20 kb limit. 1 pg from manual is 28.0 KB. Maybe someone could boost the 20kb limit to 30kb then folks might be able to add the service manual page for the work and right up they doing. We all use mobile phones and as I am learning there is a convenience to being able to pull up material to help us along our journey away from our Pc. Just a thought that might help draw future DIYers and non mechanics to this site. Videos,pictures and product/part numbers and tools are a blessing when posted with the comments of the knowledgeable folks that make this site as great as it is.

page for valve clearance starts at 148.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I would like to get some magnetic drain plugs is there a post with the dimensions or anyone have them?
In this thread you'll find them for a 660 not sure what you have but pretty sure I posted the link as well

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Before assembling the carburetor, make sure to turn out the pilot screw the same number of times, as noted before disassembly, from the seated position to the set position.

I bought a new ebay carb and I have the service manual, I'm not finding much on these jet setting. Never done this before so are they just finger tight? Screw them all the way down? Found the float adjustment and the comment on counting how many times to turn out pilot screw " never took old one apart" so I'm clueless, Bike won't start, battery is dead so I want to make sure it will start then I want to do the valve adjustments.

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

So this is old carb. Installed new one and when I give it gas/accelerate it just sputters. Idles fine and choke doesn't cause it to act any better. Picture above red circle does that have anything to do with air/fuel mixture?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
View attachment 96282

So this is old carb. Installed new one and when I give it gas/accelerate it just sputters. Idles fine and choke doesn't cause it to act any better. Picture above red circle does that have anything to do with air/fuel mixture?
Yes. That is is idle air screw, or properly known Pilot needle.
On a stock 660 carburetor, it is set around 2-3/4 to 3.5 turns out from seated position depending on your current setup and location.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #139

Installed new carb, new battery "needed it" starts up fine idles fine but when you give it gas it sputters and smokes and my reverse light is on. when I hit the kill switch light goes out. Linkage seems to be adjusted right anyways I read in forums something about rev limiter but if you knowledgeable folks could chime in would be most appreciated. links below are youtube and a little of what is going on. Not new to the site just new to the new ways the site is operating, so added spoiler to see if it will allow a specific problem be titled in one thread, my way of logging what evers for this 2004 660. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
The reverse sensor is either failed or the wire off it. This is causing the reverse limiter to kick in.
Ground the wire to the engine should cause the light to go out, and you should have full power and rpm again.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts